Home General Discussion

STARGATE SHOW

tubboy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
tubboy polycounter lvl 18
Ok, here I am reading the latest General POSTs and I stumble upon the post I made regarding the stargate sg-1 game. There is abviously LOTS of hate for this show and it's not limited to just people here. So, please and with out hatfull remarks towards me, list your specific dislikes about this show. I want to read what actually is suppost to suck about this show from those who claim that this "Million Dollar making" show is so bad. Tell me what the creators of this show are doing that is so bad that it some how survived 9 seasons.

Replies

• sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    SG-1 sucks becos

A)there's no starships
    b)there's no sexy women in tight uniforms
    c)there's no phasers
    d)there's no klingons
    e)there's no borg
    f)there's no jem'hadar
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are not reasons, but good try. smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    OMG YOU MUST TYPE THE SUBJECT IT IN ALL CAPS LOL who cares, I never was sucked into sg1 anyway.

Power Rangers is downright horrible but it miraculously has 10 seasons or series, and it doesn't means it's good and quality, cliche after cliche.

Usual plot of every episode:
    - omg monster landing
    - rangers fight monster and get weak
    - monster gets hueg
    - rangers go megazord
    - megazord kills monster
    show over

Repeat for 10 more years, and you've got a "successful franchise".
  • tubboy
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    SG1 has quite shallow plot and it gets boring after you have seen few episodes.
    And its rather hard to explain why you dont like something, actually i dont think you need a reason to not like something.
    Anyways tubby go ahead and let us know why the show is so great?
    PS: tehy areh boauring muny oon its liek siht. Isnt a valid reason.
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    I actualy liked StarGate for the first few seasons
    Sorta lost track of it after that
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    OMGZ STARGATE SG1 ROOLZ!!11 I WILLZ DEFEND IT TO MA DEATH!!11

Seriously, I like the show too, but at the same time, whats the point in starting a topic where you ask people to give reasons for disliking it and then defend against what they say?

BTW I hate Star Trek, someone start a topic where I can bash the hell out of it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    It got repetitive.. And quite frankly it was even worse than start trek how (almost) every human culture they meet speaks perfect english. Not even a dialect!
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here I am reading the latest General POSTs and I stumble upon the post I made regarding the stargate sg-1 game. There is abviously LOTS of hate for this show and it's not limited to just people here. So, please and with out hatfull remarks towards me, list your specific dislikes about this show. I want to read what actually is suppost to suck about this show from those who claim that this "Million Dollar making" show is so bad. Tell me what the creators of this show are doing that is so bad that it some how survived 9 seasons.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    You mentally fucked?
    I really feel sorry for those peeps who have to communicate with you on a daily basis.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Another name change! Tubboy lives again! I give this incarnation 6 weeks before the next secret identity is revelaed...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Stating opinions as fact is fun. *sigh*
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    >>oldguy mode /rant

You guys obviously didn't grow up in the 1970s-1980s when the definition of a good sci-fi show was 'The Incredible Hulk' (featuring 40 minutes of human drama, 15 minutes of commercials, and 5 minutes of SFX mostly involving Lou Ferrigno painted green). Or Glen Larson's 'Buck Rogers' with Gil Gerard and skinny babes in satin jumpsuits. My wife and I constantly revel in how many 'real' sci-fi shows are actually on these days.

Stargate ain't perfect, but it doesn't suck as hard as some shows that get thrown out. It isn't as good as Farscape, true, but hey.

Everyone who hates Stargate, please offer an alternative.

>>oldguy mode /off

OXYnary -- There was a Voyager episode where they actually explained the 'everybody speaks English' thing. Wanna hear it?

/jzero
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Er, hey, wait... Buck Rogers in the 25th Century beats Stargate SG-1 hands down. It was pure class! I used to watch it when it was on BBC2 a few years back. Haven't seen it since... shame.
    Hot 70's-style women in satin jumpsuits win over gravelly-voiced aliens any day!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This is seriously getting annoying.
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hot 70's-style women in satin jumpsuits win over gravelly-voiced aliens any day!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah. Erin Gray was my personal favourite.

erin5ws.jpg
  • Fabool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabool polycounter lvl 18
    I would not consider the nine seasons of the show as a merit. The show should be pretty darn good if that was the case - but it isn't.
    I would rather watch a season or two (or more, unless quality is compromised) of a well scripted show rather than Stargate. Let's face it, there's probably a season and a half worth of content, and seven and a half seasons of filler. It's panfully obvious that the creators just took an existing setting and made a show out of it - without thinking what to REALLY do with it, what kind of story to create. Now it's just a generic scifi-series with a new badguy in every season which the team has to beat and then it's back to square one. I just hate these series that seem to go nowhere.
    Of course this is mainly because TV-shows are all about money, period. The series is kept simple so that new viewers can "jump in" at season five and not miss a thing. According to the bastardly Sci-fi channel this was one of the reasons why the excellent Farscape was canceled - the story was too complex to allow new viewers to start watching the series from season 4. The failed attempts to familiarize new viewers to the series can be seen at the start of the season as a series of sub-par episodes.

But enough about good shows, let's get back to Stargate.
    From a series like Stargate, I would expect some kind of a good story arc but from the four to five seasons I've seen, I haven't really found one. To put it bluntly, it is extremely boring, extremely. A bit like those long drives on straight roads whre there's nothing to see and you're constantly on the verge of dozing off. To top if off, the actors look as bored as I feel while watching the show and there's hardly any emotion anywhere - and I can't blame them, really. After a few seasons who wouldn't be bored with the unimaginative episode scripts.
    To me, Stargate is a good example of one of the many mass produced scifi-series with lots of bling and nothing more.

As for an alternative to Stargate? For a good alternative there's not really anything new at the moment. For a bad alternative there's too many.

Perhaps my standards are just too high these days with TV-shows and movies - maybe I should just go rent Resident Evil: Apocalypse on DVD, give it a 10/10 and start my descent down to the levels of the 'common sci-fi fan' that shows like Stargate are aimed for.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Fabool: Yeah, pity Farscape got cancelled. Didn't they record and release a "final" episode after it was canned, to tie up all the loose ends with the story they couldn't finish? I haven't seen it, but it was a decent series... Much more interesting characters than Stargate SG1, and the storylines had more of a flow and direction.

Oh, and yes, Erin Gray. I don't think anyone from your fancy Stargate series beats this:

eringray13.jpg

MoP
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    49385.jpg

Jolene Blalock was on SG1 for a couple of episodes.

I like Vulcans with big cans.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That hair is FUGLY though. And she has an excess of forehead. Nope, Erin's still winning! (Mind you, that lass with the pale skin and white hair from Farscape was pretty hot, too).
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    My only issues with the show. Other than these, I can stay moderatly entertained through an episode.

1) Tealc- The character is fine. I have problems trying to take the actor seriously with his massive jaw and pouty lips. Just doesn't say badass, to me.

2) O'Neal- For a trained SOLDIER who lost his son, and was on the verge of suicide, he has become a pretty happy-go-lucky guy that even cracks jokes and makes smily faces. What the hell is that? Maybe if you watch enough McGuyver, you'll actually turn into him.

3)Storyline- Maybe they actually have really good scripts that would be good for a 2 hour film, but when they have to cut it down to TV length, alot of the good stuff gets left out. I like most of the set designs and art direction, for the most part. Now they just need to focus on the real meat of the series.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    this is my favorite outfit...

EGRAY.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone knows that! It's a babelfish that goes in your ear!
  • Artreth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artreth polycounter lvl 18
    I like the show and have watched every episode up to season 8. It isn't perfect, and does have a lot of boring filler episodes.

But it's better than Enterprise in my opinion, and considering how many bad series I have seen recently it is far from being the worst.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty much, sledgy. Someone on Voyager actually bothered to ask the Star Fleet guys why they were all speaking the same language. The reply was, the Universal Translator works like a Babel Fish. I makes you hear someone else talk in your language and they hear you talking in their language. So that lets the script guys off the hook.

Now, can somebody explain why Chewbacca goes 'Graawwwr!' to Han Solo, and Han talks English back? And they understand each other? Oh, wait, that's George Lucas, never mind...

/jzero
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    jzero: Han can understand Wookiee language, but can't speak it (only one human I know of can, a guy in one of the SW books). Chewbacca understands English, but doesn't speak it. So it's a pretty neat arrangement.

Now will someone tell me why 90% of the "evil" Empire seemed to have clipped English accents, while all the "good guys" were American? smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell you repeated the first post in the thread exactly like it is, makes us question about your sanity.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    jzero: Well, they could claim that a Wookie tongue is incompatible with a human tongue so even if you understand the language you cannot speak it...
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Now will someone tell me why 90% of the "evil" Empire seemed to have clipped English accents, while all the "good guys" were American? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cuz they dubbed all the english actors playing rebels with american accents, true story. i think the only one where they didn't was denis lawson aka wedge antilles.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes I wonder if tubboy doesn't really exist versus someone here f'ing around with us all.
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas: (You mentally fucked?
    I really feel sorry for those peeps who have to communicate with you on a daily basis. ) Nah, actually on a daily basis my co workeers and freinds enjoy my company. My mental aditude is only on this forum.

AdamBrome: well, Not evryone can stay out of your anouyance ZONE. Please let us know what pleases you so we can fix this problem or what ever it is that anouys you. The last thing I want is to anouy you.

Fabool : Good answer. Most of your responce makes alot of sence.

MoP: if you liked Farscape so much then good news my freind. Both lead characters of the show are coming over to stargate Sg-1. http://gateworld.net/news/2004/12/wrightrevealsbrowderseason.shtml

NoSeRider: http://www.gateworld.net/news/graphics/birthright.jpg

KMan: Good points. All valid and understandable.

Artreth: I so agree. It's way better than enterprise. By far. Better plot and much better mythology behind the series and franchise.

CheapAlert: I repeated my paragragh to remind everyone to please stay on topic. Though I expected alittle hate.

oXYnary: I exist. But the thought you mentioned would indicate a very inteliegent AI system and frankly, that would scare the shit out of me.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the reason stargate sucks is because of it's idiot fans. like you.
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, THANK YOU MARINE. I wear that with a badge of Honor.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thumbup.gif
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think stargate does so well mostly becuase it takes place during the current events and NOW. They relate to use and how things are now.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thumbup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thirded
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback from some of you. I aprieciate it and think i understand why some of you don't like it.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen anybody cause so much anger since Austin...or me for that matter.

But it is only a TV show......and no, I'm not tubboy.
    Check the IP address...dey don't match.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    my god....tubboy fortunately i didnt realize the thread(s) where you shown your total stupidness. This thread does it too i guess.

Man, whats wrong with you? how old are you? 13? well i guess not since you work at the collective but it seems like you think like a 13 year old....
    Can somebody good in the US please apply for a job at the collective so that tubboy loses his job? He deserves it...

stop, enough hate that has to be taken out of my mind. thanks tubboy i needed that. Right man on the right place mroe or less.

And yes stargate sucks because of his fans...
    in Germany we can see it on a channel where stuff like big brother and unbelieveble cheap series and animes like dragonball pokemon and sailor moon are aired.
    Do you like pokemon too?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Tubboy said:
    My mental additude is only on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't keep 'trying' to attract all this negative attention in the future. It brings about an unpleasent atmosphere. No one appreciates it, and if you aren't like this in real life then consider treating us with the same respect you do your real-life friends.

-R
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pak, dude, Read this post in full. I in no way ever asked for this hate. I asked a simple quesiton. What is it about stargate that people hate. I wanted to understand. And i specifically asked that people keep ther answers on topic and non hatfull. I "ASKED". I never damanded.

_Shimmer you can insult me and you can insult everything about me. I dont care, but, dont' bring my job into this. I never once brought hate into this thread nor did I attack anyone here like you all are now. Its one thing to attack me personally _Shimmer but its another thing to attack my well Deserved JOB. Don't go there dude...PLEASE. Don't breing them into this. Its unprofessional and child like. I have been up front, honest, and respectfull of all of you thorugh out this thread and never once have I attacked anyone. _Shimmer ...GROW UP. Its just a thread about a show.....MY GOD.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I asked a simple quesiton.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we gave a simple (and damn right on) answer.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha i dont give a damn for your job...It was just a diabolic idea so that you cant earn money and cant afford internet so that you cant ask such stupid question about your loved series.

Man if stargate would be a girl you would marry her, huh?
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer this is the only forum i know of that hates stargate for the most part. My curiosity won the day and I wanted to know the other side of this and why there was dislike for the show.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah we do understand... for gods sake...
    Can we please discuss the following:

Why is "yes" better then "no"? Both have advantages and disadvantages.

None of them have hot chicks in tight uniforms but hey....

oh man....
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK, if I were like this outside this thread and forum, I would probably be hunted down and killed.
  • tubboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer your dislike for my bringin stargate into this forum again is understandable. I just did not think it was neccisary to breing my job into it ya know.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    geeeeeeknation wink.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen so much pussy since a justin timberlake concert. Grow the fuck up. Tubboy is stupid, Stargate sucks. Now let us move on with our lives.