Home General Discussion

lookin for a good, cheap, web site host

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
so the web site host i've been with for more than a few years now is starting screw up.. more often than not my site is down (as is all of theirs), and I don't feel like paying for crappy service (I'm just like that). (BTW, the host is addr.com.)
The current goin rate for them to host a site with a domain name, 3000mb of storage, and 60 gb of transfer is ~$10 a month. while the huge amount of transfer isnt critical, I will be needing the domain name, and having a good deal of storage is something i'd like to keep (but isnt absolutely critical). The two big things I'd like to see is a lower price (seeing as addr comes out to ~$120 a year) and a good record of little to no downtime (occassional downtime for system service i can stand, but how often addr's been going down is unacceptable).
thanks~ smile.gif

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    $7.77 /mo (aka $93.25 a year)
    http://www.powweb.com/
              Went with them for a few years, never had a problem

Starting at $2.50 /mo (aka $30 a year)
    http://gamedevhosting.com/
              Hosted by our very own... umm... someoneorother... I forget these things...
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    "Good" and "Cheap"? Pick one, but I would recommend Rdwarf.com, as they are concientious, and reliable.

Scott
  • Faucet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Faucet polycounter lvl 18
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't polycound offering hosting now?

Talk to R13, DaZ or Bearkub.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Gamedevhosting.com is run by yours truely. Just a spare time gig, remote hosting from a datacenter. I'm currently a systems engineer, but I was a Sr. Network Engineer working at the Pentagon for DOD. So I have the experience. It's also a small community, so support is basically instant and no difficult channels to get through. I only ever expect to host 200 users at the most.

500 megs of space and 5 gigs a month bandwidth. If you need more bandwidth, show me a good reason and I'll upgrade it for free. I'll even register a domain for you.

http://gamedevhosting.com is the pilot site. I'm not advertising yet, but I have about 25 happy customers. A few are already from polycount:

ndcv.com
    polymancy.com

The site will be changing soon to give more info and such. Heres a demo of the control panel:

http://demo.gamedevhosting.com/cpanel

login: gddemo
    password: demopw
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gamedevhosting.com is run by yours truely.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wow, I like that control panel. After reading your TOS and AUP, you've sold me. No more $120/yr for a measly 100MB and a shitty cp.

Sounds like you might have had some malicious subscribers in the past, or maybe you had a great learning experience at DOD...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff Downsizer, that is a very tempting offer. I was looking to get a "proper" domain and hosting soon, I know where to look first now. Thanks!
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with http://www.be-hosted.com/
    They are super fast, and reliable. I've been with them for 2 years and I don't even know what downtime is.
    Something to consider..
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't even know what downtown is.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the place with all the shops, and it's hard to find parking there. smile.gif

Anyhow, I've been with gamedevhosting for some time now - must be 6+ months or so? I had one or two problems with down times but Matt (downsizer) has always been really helpful, and there have not been any problems for a long time now. And the price is great, $30 a year includes domain name reg.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I ment to say downtime. +1 for grammar smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    We've switched servers a few times in the past, and had problems with a previous datacenter being abandoned. I'm not at our server, but I've been given access to direct support. The new datacenter I'm with also accepts my advice, and because of such our server migrations never affect users anymore. Yay job experience. I'm also flexible on price and space/bandwidth, just name what you need and i'll be fair. You can also register your own domain if you wish.

I've had 2 customers I had problems with. One was hosting mp3's, and the other registered his own domain. He had no idea what he was doing, so it led to downtime he did'nt like. So I played nice and refunded them both, even though I should'nt have on the first one.

It's 14 days for refunds, and because of the domain being included, I can only refund cost of hosting. Which is about a 22$ refund. You would get the domain to keep for the entire year if you were unhappy. Any questions you have you can just email me: mattcrawford@comcast.net

Give me a week and the new site will be up, with forums, tutorial submission and a contest for free hosting. All profits from this are going to the development of a game prototype. I yack too much.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    polycount.net

duh laugh.gif