Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    i really hope they are able to stay away from doom3 type gameplay
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    meh looks like a doom3 mod to me. ID really need a new IP and style of gameplay.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Ya, looks like DoomIII expansion pack.. All small closed areas. Even the marines look the same.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haven't these been out for months?
    don't bother to answer, because yes, they have wink.gif
    i don't know what to think of them, though... i just hope the gameplay feels quake-ish, allthough i doubt it, with the engine not really being capable or rendering anything other than enclosed hallways and such
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw these in PCZone or PCGamer magazine a month or two ago. And I thought it looked almost identical to Doom3. Those marines might as well be ripped straight from Doom3, and that monster isn't much different to certain ones in Doom3. I really wanted them to go for a kinda retro-Q2 feel with the graphics, they seem to be getting that across a bit with the environments (which look nicely Q2, not too D3) but the characters and monsters might as well be from a D3 expansion pack. Bleaah.
    I just hope it's a fun game.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    I cant see how this will have the same fast gameplay as the old quake games frown.gif
    And check the first screen this guy is even holding and invisable gun? A bit messy to release a screen with a bug :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yea MoP - these (and more) were in PC gamer a few months back. Q4 is supposed to have huge outdoor large outdoor enviornments as well though. It'd be nice to see if they can pull it off.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...check the first screen this guy is even holding and invisable gun? A bit messy to release a screen with a bug :P

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like he is about to take a pill. Has a small cup of water in the other hand. He just wandered around the wrong corner where his exact double is fighting ..something. smile.gif

As for Q4, if D3 was there last outting then *yawn* I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I think they should return to the style of the first quake, nice gothic meideval castles and such With Ogres that have chainsaws and grenade launchers.
    (I think I said the same thing when this was posted here last time)

This just looks like a dilapidated version of Doom 3...oh well, I shall give it some time and see what other screens get turned out.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    wow... that looks so lame... i just don't know what to say...

how can you move around to avoid fire and play strategically, WHEN YOU'RE STUCK IN A NARROW HALLWAY!?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Neo_God: Agreed. Screw those Stroggs, I want my medieval castles and Ogres!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    it would be awesome if they connected quake 1 to quake 2, like if in this one you had to fight against cthulu or something.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Where's the nail gun and the undead knights? When did Quake become all cyborg-techno-like?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing Quake2 came close to being a Quake in relation is the jump sound and the perforator in the second expansion, but nothing else, it's just bastardization like the Final Fantasy series.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    meh looks like a doom3 mod to me. ID really need a new IP and style of gameplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

quake 4 isn't id.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still looking forward to this.

btw, quake 2 rulez mad.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I am with Dukester here, I am still wanting this so bad, my new ATI 9800 Pro is all wet down there and ready for Q4!
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    what im hoping for is that there will be more enemies on screen than in doom3. i miss the days of killing 30 imps at a time.

the fact that its raven making the game doesnt instill me with confidence. jedi knight 2 sucked the big one. still, i think those screens look pretty sweet.

--edit---
    heres a ton of artwork for q4 if anyone is interested
    http://www.jucaushii.ro/imgcateg_297.html
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Quake2 Rules, but I am getting the feeling that the Doom III engine is going to be like Betamax, in that it's an interesting technology that delivers graphic capability, but that becauseof the limitations of the lighting, the tiny, claustrophobic environments, and the lack of vehicles, and the possible difficulty of custom animation (not a problem ith the quake II engine), will make this a curiosity, rather than the next new thing. the next new thing may be the source engine, or the Unreal 3 engine in a few months.

Scott
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Quake II was the best single player experience I ever had. I always thought the atmosphere was cohesive and perfectly done, and the action vs puzzle solving was at a perfect level.

I was happy that Raven decided that Quake IV would follow up that story.

Lets face it, these next generation games, are not going to be great for multiplayer. The first and formost problem is, not enough people have computers that can run them smoothly, if at all. So servers will mostly be empty, and people get tired of playing against bots. It needs to get over the "hump", and I don't know if it will. I thought that Quake III would have taken a hit when Doom and HL2 came out, but alas, I saw an article a couple of weeks ago that showed that Quake III is STILL more played than UT2004. But that's another topic altogether, DM play. Quake IV is looking more like a single player focused game, as I understand it.

The screenies look nice though smile.gif I do hope they have some more open areas, at least occasionally anyway.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    That nipple sooooooo rocks!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    ah well... u know... its cool and all... probably not going to be the next big thing, id/raven have too many competitors who make really good games of their own.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Quake2 Rules, but I am getting the feeling that the Doom III engine is going to be like Betamax, in that it's an interesting technology that delivers graphic capability, but that becauseof the limitations of the lighting, the tiny, claustrophobic environments, and the lack of vehicles, and the possible difficulty of custom animation (not a problem ith the quake II engine), will make this a curiosity, rather than the next new thing. the next new thing may be the source engine, or the Unreal 3 engine in a few months.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

So far Raven stated that Quake 4 is going to use a huge amount of monsters, open environments, vehicles and squads...
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I looked through a preview they had in PC Gamer a few months back...I'm sure it's going to be a solid game, but certainly not some big new hit rivaling HL2 or whatnot. And from what I've seen, iD already beat them when it came to the artististic side of the graphics engine, the strogg in this game just don't seem that well designed.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, but the strogg were never well designed.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else notice the kinda big rectangle of weird lighting behind the guy with the gun in the first screenshot? I can't figure it out... it's like the coloured lighting and half the shadows just stop halfway across the corridor...

Irritant: Q2 was a great, cohesive SP game. To be honest I'd buy the game if Q4 was just Q2 remade to look really nice and detailed. With some better AI.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    MoP i think its a door thats made out of red glass or they are doing some revolutionary blood splatter effects laugh.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    The leaked Q4 artwork shows concept art of vehicles so I can imagine that it won't be all indoors and hallways smile.gif
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Irritant: Q2 was a great, cohesive SP game. To be honest I'd buy the game if Q4 was just Q2 remade to look really nice and detailed. With some better AI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too smile.gif but one of my favorite things about SP Q2 was getting the monsters to fight each toher smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Lets make it CooP!!!! , its pretty much all i look for in fps now days ... lets face it , SP and DM are pretty much covered from all angles...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like they're Ken dolls dressed up as space marines.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor: Bingo! Hell, Doom, Quake, they all had coop, why not the modern ones?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    exactly , every time i buy a game i whine about this ...

all the build engine games had it , doom 1 and 2 was great coop .. but after half life 1 they just stopped all together , it seems .... i want a game that i can lan easly with friends , and have great fun killing hundreds of badies , wethere they are hellish demons or soldies types , as long as there are LOTS of them and i dont have to sit through an hour of story building shite before hand ...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    though i've never been a huge quake fan, i must say not seeing the style of Q3 carry over to the new engine is very disappointing. Kind of a flashy-quirky style that was fun on the eyes during MP.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    thermidor- you're looking for the serious sam games.

go pick em up smile.gif and play with your friends.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like Sam that much, the enemies are kinda boring and the "feel" of the weapons is too weak. I wish Painkiller had coop, plays much better than Sam.
    Hm, reminds me, Descent had coop, didn't it? Hmmmmm... (are there new engines for Descent available, like Darkplaces for Quake and stuff?)
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John - yeah , i played Sam when it came out , it was ok , i pretty much felt the same as kdr about it.

most recent coop games ive played are diablo2 , and raven shield ... but i dont think RS really counts ... i did enjoy the first quake game coop and the second add on pack was really great . but i found quake 2 was hard to make coop work properly i dont think it was supported properly ...

Decent , now theres a name ive not heard in a very long time ...
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still holding out for Duke Nulke'em 4 Ever.

Scott
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about ready to give up on DNF myself
    However Its been in development for so long it'll either be the greatest FPS of all time or kill the company
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't the jokes thread scott.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well , even if it does come out , it wont have a coop mode ... smile.gif hl2 has almost been as long , (well give or take a few years) and they didnt even make a proper DM mode for that 2 levels shipped post release frown.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    of course it wont have a coop mode, that will ad another 15 years to developing, dont you know.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right. This ain't the Joke thread. You guys are makin' me cry.

Scott
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    *looks and screenshots*
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!1!!!!....oh that's funny shit.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, i think the q2monsters are very well done but iam a little confused that people saying that they where cyborgs!?
    In my book is a cyborg a enhanced version of a human being, like in DeusEx and not a bunch of reused body parts. smile.gif
    The strogg just used the material they got wink.gif and the sick part of the story in q2 was imo, that you had to fight and kill former friends/soldiers.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    i always thought svencoop for half-life was a very good coop game, used to play that game for hours on end, plus unlike most half-life mods, people actually work together and you barley see any bithcing or whining like you do with CS.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eek , i never played a coop game of hl1 .... was it the actual sp game modded for coop ? i didnt have a internet connection til 2000 ish and only had bb about 9 months so ive never really been up to date on this stuff when its happening ....
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, Sven_coop had its own maps.
    There's a Doom 3 coop mod in the works (called ironically "Last Man Standing"). They have an alpha out but the coop isn't implemented yet.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah , i tryed to get doom3 coop working , best coop mod ive played lately is that alien swarm ut2k4 mod you posted up here...