Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first skin on my second model...

mikejkelley
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mikejkelley polycounter lvl 18
Ugh, I'm a little embarassed to be posting this, but everyone has got to start somewhere right?

skinned.jpg

This is my second model. Pictured is just the head. It is for a game mod based on the quake II engine. The head weighs 308 triangles. It is a self-prtrait of sorts. Unfort, the right left halves share UV coordinates (as if you couldn't tell). I unwrapped it before I knew ny better.

It's a wip and I need suggestions. Keep in mind this is my first skin and I may not be entirely hip to your lingo.

Replies

• r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    can you post some more pics of just the mesh without the skin? something so we can see the overall shape? it looks like you might have anatomy issues but its hard to be specific on that render. try screenshots rather than a rendering.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You need to post more pics for a better C&C. But I'll go with what you've posted.

Quick C&C:

The skin tone drastically changes from his face to the rest of his head. Top of the forehead, back of the cheaks near the ears.. it changes and it's isn't subtle at all.

Grey lips?

There's some anatomy issues with this head that need to be addressed. Your neck is huge compared to the top of the head.

You've got some weird smoothing group issues going on. Particularily with the area of the nose that blends in with the cheak. There isn't a blend, just a sharp edge/shadow.

Are you going for realism? Those eyes there are pretty large.

It might be the angle of the shot but I think the ears come down too far. The tops of the ears are ok, but the lobes seem to come down too far.

Please post a shot of your face/head so we have something to compare to.
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    are you using any refs? if you have trouble finding good refs here is a great resource with all kinds of head refs

http://thnom.tehunlose.com/model_resource/male.htm
  • Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I would recommend visiting some face-skinning tutorials. Right now your texture lacks any kind of shading or depth.
  • mikejkelley
    Offline / Send Message
    mikejkelley polycounter lvl 18
    AdamBrome: Your definately right about the eyes. The lack of subtlty is something I'll try to address, I guess I'm just not experienced enough yet. The abrupt change in the ear coloring was an oversight on my part. I'll repair the lips too.

As far as anatomy goes, from the side the head looks wide enough and from the front as well, but from this angle it does seem to reveal some sort of deficiency. Hm. May have to scale a few vertices. The neck, however, is correct.

How should I go about the smoothing issue? I've tried many different groups and this is the best I could come up with. Will the game engine treat it differently?

mr.toast: Thnx for the references, I'll try to put them to good use.

irritant: Can you recommend some tuts?

I'll try to post some more pics a little later...
  • milla
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    I remember trying to work up the cajones to post a skin here well over four years ago. Glad you took the plunge smile.gif

I agree with what's been posted already, so I'm not offering much new information. I think you have a good base from which to work, so keep it up!