Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Engineer

Bungee!
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bungee! polycounter lvl 18
Hey all. I made this highres engineer model based of the tfc version.

engineer.jpg

Replies

• _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    very cool! really dig the arms. Can we get a face close up?
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jee.. this one looks realy cool..
    love the helmet.. but is the hair bumpmaped or modeled?

i think the boots are a bit too .. boxy?!.. maybe a bit smaler
    something about the ears.. maybe to faar on the front?

and the hands, or better the thumb seems to need some more defining

and the face looks realy cool.. on this pic--> more closer please smile.gif
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    really slick, if tfc ever were to come out for the source engine, id love to see you make a lowerpoly normal mapped version and port it in
  • elkz
    Offline / Send Message
    elkz polycounter lvl 18
    wow dude, I really like the model, it is begging for a texture. May I suggest you take a look over at http://www.fortress-forever.com
  • KevinCoyle
    Offline / Send Message
    KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome model, lots of good detail. Arms very well done especially. The legs look a bit short to me however.
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    good job!

i think you've got the odd problem here or there. i'll list what i notice, but that doesn't mean anything's WRONG nessisarily. take it or leave it.

muscle structure around the arm looks wrong. space between the bicep and the back of the arm is.. acctualy, im pretty damn sure that's totaly wrong. it's puffing out, making his arm look like a big cylender. it should be in more.

his elbow is too long and cylendrical. looks like you just grabbed 4 polies, extruded out a tiny bit, scaled down, and subdivided it.

the place where the muscles of the forearm come into the upper arm looks wrong as well. you have nice detail all over the arm but the shape and structure of the muscle masses isn't quite in the right place.

kolby jukes makes nice, simplified, stylized muscles. take a look at some of his forms:
    http://student.vfs.com/~3d44kol/

chek out the goon at the bottom of the page, i quite like those arms. (well, maybe the forearm muscles at the elbow are too sharp)

i have this nagging fealing that the knees are too low, or maybe it's just that the lower legs aren't long enough. get some reference and compaire. i'm so used to modeling 6 foot tall ideal proportion males, however, that i don't really know short-person proportions off hand.

i don't mind the boots- some boots are pretty square. makes them heavy-duity looking in my opinion.

the shape of the fingers is kinda.. hm.. sasage-ey. the thumb seems wrong.. the seccond join is flat and too short. it looks as tho the thumb is facing in the wrong direction. there's no reason that the nuckles of the glove would look like that.

i would suggest getting some anatomicaly perfect reference (like a photograph heheh) and modeling a hand and not stopping untill it's perfect.

either way, i'm not ragging on it, just trying to help you improve. i can tell that it's an awesome model, and it could be just fucking great.

good job, and i hope you stick around and keep showing us more work of this caliber.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    looks good..maybee make the bottom of the boots less flat. or at least get him some insoles...that can't be good for the feet.
  • Surgey
    Offline / Send Message
    Surgey polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool. Love the arms and head. Actually I love it all, but those strike me as awesome. What's the polycount? Tris? So is there a 2on2 TFC coming for Doom 3? :P

Oh, and I like the shading over the eyes. Gives it a nice cartoony/retro heroic feel.