Home Technical Talk

Trying to get a model into quake 3..

Mr.Reacto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr.Reacto polycounter lvl 18
Ok.. first off, I have fully textured my 3d model. I have also followed some steps and the farthest I got to is renaming the the 3 seperate meshes into h_head u_torso l_legs, making 3 tags and thats about it. I googled the entire site and came out almost empty handed. There was some tutorials about it but it didn't help me much.. And most of the tutorial links had dead links along with it.

I may be wrong but I'm too lazy to search for it. Any good Q3 tutorials for milkshape?

Replies

• lkraan
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    On the polycount.com site you can find a lot of quake 3 resources...

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/quake3/index.shtml

I am not sure if you can do everything in Milkshape. I know that in 3ds max you can either use an existing animated skeleton or do the animations from scratch.

Once you have a animated model you need to export it in the 3 parts (head, upper, lower) with tags to MD3 format and compile it with NPherno's MD3 compiler.
    For this whole exporting and compiling phase you must have the paths setup correcy which is described in the tutorials on polycount.com.
  • Mr.Reacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Reacto polycounter lvl 18
    cool.. just I don't have any expensive program that will use existing animation files.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    There is a pretty complete MS3d tutorial somewhere, I just don't remember where. Either way, you'll have to animate the model by yourself.
  • flachdrache
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Take a look into the md3_sample.qc. IIRC (iam not sure) you can use tags or just the jointname, which will be easier for the death animation (not rotating tag_torso). Also make sure that your player faces to the right in the upperright window and you`ll need NPhernos anyways because the q3a "floor" is 20 units above ms3ds "center" (0 0 0). I guess there is a button like "put on the floor" or sumthin laugh.gif.

I have to take a look into ms3d and animation to remember laugh.gif but you have to make a few test animations eatherway.

good luck,fd
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Eh? I didn't need NPherno anywhere when making Q3A models. Just put a tag_floor at (0 26 0) and parent the lower.md3 to it.
  • melkior
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    yes you can do it all in Milkshape 3D - I did my Marvin model entirely with M3D. That was uh.. 2 years ago and I dont remember much about it though smile.gif