Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dawn of War: Thousand Sons CSM (56k beware)

Mit Gas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
The model was done by MrD and I did the texture - it uses the specs of DoW and while I don't know the exact number of polygons, I can say it's about 2200 IIRC.

Anyways, without further delay here it is:

sheet.jpg

blue.jpg

!( a second colorsheme is to be found here: http://www.joust3d.com/MitGas/red.jpg )!

And at last the flats:

tsflat.jpg

I like this new smilie, never saw it one the old boards. smile.gif

Replies

• old_man_funk
    Offline / Send Message
    old_man_funk polycounter lvl 18
    I just crapped my pants. I love it, any chance of an ingame screen?
  • Steakhouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    oh yes! Tzeentch rocks. I knew the fans of this game would be so hardcore that it wouldnt be long before the entire table top game was ported into it.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    omfg, When I see awesome metal I can't resist !

/me wants a tutorial laugh.gif

Anyway, amazing work!
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That's awesome work. I really like the design on the shoulder pads.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice Work, I was wondering when you would come back to your home. Your work reminds me alots of Kmans work, in the way you shade and age and damage your metals. Very nice.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    It's played a lot here. Let me know when the model is ready to download.

Scott
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    old_man_funk: There actually is now no chance to see it inagme as the animator needs a few more days to get him done (and I don't know if he is willing to/can work over the holidays. Once there are pics avaible, you'll be the frst to see them. smile.gif

Renaud Galand: Basically it's the base color (which are officially blue and yellow/gold for these guys) with texture overlays and my skin for the Joust skelknight (for a pic: http://www.joust3d.com/MitGas/nolights.jpgor http://www.joust3d.com/MitGas/headcloseup.jpg

for the flats(800k HUGE!): http://www.joust3d.com/MitGas/skelknightflat.jpg)

copied in on some part to get some more greyish and less saturated parts - you could however paste any grey metal in there to make rob the skin off of it's color.

Those Thousand Sons are basically nothing more than dust in huge power armor, so they're like mindless ghosts that can't die except if their whole suit is destroyed. And even than they can be summoned back. The one tip I can give on metal is that it lives from little details - on a 512 texture map I actually use the pencil (1 pixel) on 12 opacity with light grey and black to add manually etc. so that it gets to look sharp. The gold took long but I'll make a mini tutorial once I skin the leader of these guys.

Steakhouse: So true...

Thegodzero: I'll take that as a compliment although me, grimlock doesn't see many similarities.......then again, I couldn't judge who has the most similar style to me I guess. smile.gif

Scott Ruggels: Will do!

killingpeople: thanks a bunch.

Phew, making the typical polycount-reply with answering every one personally took me quite a while - merry christmas everyone btw.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    very nice. I like the Warhammer guy better than the joust guy, joust guy looks like a bit of a mess (too many themes meshed together), but cool texture nontheless smile.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    ok, I see that we all use the same method on the metal. I just have to train myself on the details and lighting wink.gif

again, exellent skill !
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    looks very cool.... NOW GET BACK AND SKIN JOUST MODELS!

The metal work is relly cool, but i think you should add more highlights and stuf that defines the diretion of light better since i guess the DoW engine hasnt a too good light engine. well, im really not into this warhammer stuff and dont know how they suppose to look exactly so thuis may sound like neatpicking laugh.gif

please be so kind a post a wireframe too, looks like youve come a long way , mrd. Looks very good what i see.

Good work bros, now get the hell back to joust ;-)!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    good to see u posting man!
    u 2 did a very nice job together

the skin has some nice touches,
    like the wires casting shadow down at the cloth thing
    the gun looks very nice too imo

the thing is, i think the gun is the best part of the model. the design is much more striking than that of the model. theres more contrast between colors, and ur rendering is more convincing

i feel that doesn't carry through to the model itself, which looks relatively very flat. wear effects add nice detail but don't efffect the design and 3d significantly

for example, if u look at his leg while squinting, it looks at one flat piece. rear view too

i believe that with a little more low-relief work, pushing the values and 3d-ing the different materials more, around the edges perhaps, u could get a lot more out of the model
  • Taimaishu
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
    Wow very nice, Id like to see some kind of tutorial on how to rust the metal like that (especially the edges and battle damage)

Quality smile.gif
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually the metal parts are "ceramite" which is a mix out of metal and ceramics (don't look at me, I didn't make that up!) that forms a super hard shell for these battle-suits; that's also why there are no really hard edges and strong/er lights/shades on it - it's not intended to be very reflective as it's pretty much unlike real metal (I used various pieces of artwork by GW (the guys behind Warhammer) to get the armor kind of right (= like in the official pictures).

About the gun looking superior to the marine, that's pretty much an issue of taste - I used various pictures of the amazing artists that work for GW and stole from everywhere something - I also had more real metal to paint on that texture and that looks cooler due to stronger highlights and shadows. Like his head is the one of a very old thousand sons model I used to have (the newer ones have the same faceplate as normal 40k marines) and his legs are like the new miniatures and so on. The bolter is also a mix of different stuff (some details are exactly like on the miniatures they sell, some stuff like the that sign with the diamond are lifted from a GW artwork of a thousand sons guy et cetera)

Since GW fans are nuts about it (I know what I'm talking about as I have lots of those little minis too laugh.gif) I had to incorporate as many details as possible.
  • KMan
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Looking great there, man. The thousand sons are my favorite chaos group. I think it's their egyptian flavored stylings.

It really makes me want to get back to working on my witch hunters mod for DoW. Just take your marine, slap a cute face on her and slap on a pair of tits, and that's where I'm headed.

I'm sick of seeing these other mods that just look like mspaint/milkshape assturds.
  • Taimaishu
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Actually the metal parts are "ceramite" which is a mix out of metal and ceramics (don't look at me, I didn't make that up!) that forms a super hard shell for these battle-suits; that's also why there are no really hard edges and strong/er lights/shades on it - it's not intended to be very reflective as it's pretty much unlike real metal (I g for a tutorial :Pused various pieces of artwork by GW (the guys behind Warhammer) to get the armor kind of right (= like in the official pictures).

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the style, do you have any links to the GW artwork pieces
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    this model and skin is very well done, congrats guys.
    saw this link on Blue's news: http://www.compfused.com/directlink/404/
  • sundance
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I'm sick of seeing these other mods that just look like mspaint/milkshape assturds.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you get too many of them with each mddable game as it is...
  • elkz
    Offline / Send Message
    elkz polycounter lvl 18
    I really love your metal. It's not too clean and shiny, It's not too dirty, it has damn good lighting. It's spot on. I also love all the golden designs on the armor. Great work!
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    Taimaishu: Since a lot of people seem to dig the unreflective metal this guy sports, I'll make a mini tutorial once I skin their leader (which D has to model first though).

Here are pictures: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/extras/art/default.htm

Make sure to check the concept sketches out too, they're also pretty cool. somewhere there must be Chaos art too. Which is even cooler as I love those chaos dudes.

Kman: I might mess things up but aren't you a modeler too? There are many Thousand Sons guys, if you really care you can do stuff for them too (like the sexy pink daemons et cetera). Just a suggestion though as I worry about your life...female space marines? The hardcore fans will kill you....or worse, castrate you. You should already fear for your life. However they're a nice community as they are really thankful for new stuff and satisfaction in our work and praise (hopefully) are the only things we get from our skins (at least I do). smile.gif

Now back to bheing a hermit and watching transformers! I just got the whole series on DVD a few weeks ago and it's the best cartoon I ever saw. Amazing stuff. Especially the characters like Megatron, Soundwave, Starscream, Optimus, Tracks et cetera (too many to name)....... Spielberg better make the real life movie as good as the original cartoon (Generation 1)or else ............I'm going to cry. I just think what Paul Anderson or other fools could do with it and then I fear for my loved tranformers.....Milla Jovovich as Optima Prime?
  • sundance
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    tom desanto has been talking to the comics writer simon furman so that's kinda made me relax a bit...
  • Mit Gas
    Offline / Send Message
    I was one the page of the producer and he's saying that they really try to make it just like the cartoon - I hope to see them look like they did in G1 and Megatron's original voice (Frank Welker...he did the amazing Soundwave too!) and Optimus' voiceactor (Peter Cullen I think) too. I'm terribly sad that Chris Latta the voice of Starscream died as he had an amazing voice IMHO too.... they should just use the taunts of the G1 series again for him.

anyways, D couldn't register and gave me this pic to post for people who are interested in the model (IMHO it looks a lot superior to the Relic ones). smile.gif

1000sonsmarine.gif
  • Surgey
    Offline / Send Message
    Surgey polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit. That's amazing! I'd say cut the polys, since it is for an RTS, but DAMN, I love the texturing job! Cool colors (on both schemes) and I LOVE the helmet. So... doing any Grey Knights? laugh.gif The helmet reminds me of a Grey Knight helmet.

NINJA EDIT: And the blue one reminds me of the Diamond Sword from the Tribes universe.