Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tactical guy loves his F2000

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jzero polycounter lvl 18
This one's for a mod. I don't know if it's going to make it, but at least I can finish up the concepting work I set out to do on it. Portfolio being everything and all.

Just finished the line art:

re_tac1guy.jpg

/jzero

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice lineart, as usual - I like the varied lineweights.
    something about his feet is making his pose seem very off-balance and wobbly. I think it's because HIS right foot (on our left) is at a strange angle, especially if you compare it to the kneepad on his right knee. Also weird compared to his left foot. It doesn't look like he's spreading the body weight out evenly, looks more like he's just been pushed hard in the chest and is about to fall over backwards.
    See what I mean? I think if you "just" erase the right boot completely and re-draw it at an angle closer to that of the kneepad (facing the viewer), it will be much improved.

The angle of his glasses across the front of his face is kinda weird, compared to the angle of his skull, too. Look at the line of his chin compared to the line of the glasses over the brow. I think that's a bit off too.

Good stuff though - just spend 10-20 minutes fixing up those bits and it should be perfect?

MoP
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Im just going to chime in and agree with what MoP said, and add that I feel his hips are a wee bit thin as well. He looks like a waif(spell?).
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Your line work is really done well. Its just the angles of some of his limbs and accessories thats throwing it off. You're putting too much in to it.. as if you're trying to exaggerate his stance but you've over done. Try giving him a more relaxed pose and just concentrate on the overall pose as being something a little less calm.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Right foot and right knee should point in the same direction. otherwise a very nice solide line work.

Scott
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Well technically, I can point my foot a differant direction from my knee....but for no longer than a few seconds...
    ouch! wink.gif

Looking good, jzero
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I feel his hips are a wee bit thin as well

[/ QUOTE ]

i think his whole lower half is a touch too small, other than that it looks great
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, IMHO his proportions are all fine for a kinda halfway-mix of realism and comic-book style. If the legs and lower body were enlarged I fear it'd become too "generic superhero" and look out of place, especially considering the clothing and gun.
    But yeah, unbreak his ankle smile.gif
  • jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Awright, that's the way I like it, good and hard... uh, the crits, I mean.

re_tac1guy_r1.jpg

I took a little of everyone's advice, thought about totally changing the foot stance. But I decided that moving the left leg forward slightly would change the balance enough. And I changed the horrible, horrible kneepad. Actually, I like that kneepad, but it's true that even though those things probably hang at all manner of angles in real life, it really does represent the knee in this drawing, so it's gotta point the same way. Changed the shades angle too -- thanks, MoP!

Brome -- more relaxed, yet less calm? wink.gif

Thanks to all you guys.

/jzero
  • Moz
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    I like it personally, but I feel the face lacks any kind of... emotion, it kinda looks like he'd rather be pressing flowers or something.

Very sharp and clean otherwise.
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    i agree with Moz
    maybe if he was squinting...
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm. I still think the angle of the foot should be changed. It's not just the balance that's off, it's the anatomy, there. I've never seen anyone stand steadily with their foot at that angle. What you've done is an improvement, but IMHO not enough of one to stop his stance looking odd.
    I also think Usagi has hit it right on with his eyes - try making him squint a little, he just looks mildly surprised at the moment. smile.gif
    Still a good piece though.