Home Technical Talk

unwrap space

Badname
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Badname polycounter lvl 18
Hey, I have been working on unwrapping my beretta and now I got the feeling the gun itself has such a little space :|
Here is the unwrap 1024x http://www.apollostudio.nl/badname/wip/test.jpg (dont worry about the left spaces still got buttons that will fill those)
Now what can I do to make it better? Or is space enough to look good in FPS view ingame, and am i just getting crazy?:P I cant overlap the two sides because they are asimetric.

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey mate

ya gotta think of unwrapping logically,think which parts are most important and which are no so,at the moment I think you have leaved to much space for the buttons where other things could use the space....and take it from there.

How are you planning to have the charcter carry the gun?
    (will it just be in the corner of the screen (normal style FPS),or will you have an "iron sight" view?)
    If its just gonna be in the corner where only part of the gun is visible on screen then you should dedicate a larger chunk of your texture space to those visible areas...if your gonna see the side of the gun while reloading then give more to texturespace to the side taht will be visible....think like that.

If ya not sure what I mean,think of it like this,if you model and texture a car for a racing game,in the game the car cannot roll over...how much texture space would you dedicate to the underside?..a plane small sqaure somewhere on texture or a space thats the same size as the very detailed top texture.

the above may also apply to the cocnept of your gun,in that if one side of it is never visible,why ya got the polygons there?....delete them and save on the specs.:)

Hope that helps

john
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ey Bronco mate,
    I know what you mean, but i want to have acimbo barettas so i need both sides. The buttons are quite a lot i dont even think they will all fit in atm :|. I was thinking about making whats close to the screen bigger than far away, but then again when you reload you'll see the diffrence and I dont releay like that :/
    Maby theres nothing that can be done about it frown.gif or maby it isnt even that bad ;O
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    If you look closely at your model you will see many symetrical spaces that could use mirrored UVs. Delete the areas that can be mirrored and scale up the rest. I think 1024 for the gun is a bit much, but I'm a bit old school that way.
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went through the hl2 textures and i found this!
    rocket.jpg I dunno if this is the texture for the primary First Person model, but this is quite a smart way to do it :O