Home Technical Talk

[portfolio] Would I get away with this?

elkz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
elkz polycounter lvl 18
Hello! I'm an amatuer 2D-Artist, I've only been really into it for say 2 months, but I have 18 months Adobe Photoshop experience. I want to group up some of my best work, but it's mostly all collabed with other people (like their model/sketch/concept)because I can't model to save my life.. I also have trouble drawing unless its with my mouse on adobe. I'm also colourlind! I suppose 2D-Art is not the best job for me to choose, but I love doing it. It's relaxing, enjoyable seeing your work in-game, etc. etc.

Anyways, I did a quick colouring-in of some Lineart/Sketch by BoBo_the_Seal. I like it so much! would I be allowed to post it on my portfolio, if I just say that he did the original sketch? Or is that v.unproffesional? It's just most 2d artists can do their own drawings so I've never really come across this sort of thing.

Oh, the image is here: -Image-

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    As long as you give proper credits and the original author(s) don't complain it's okay. You're only in deep shit if you don't give the credits.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, as long as you credit the artist it's usually OK. A link to that artist's website helps too. Although it's also polite to ask the artist him/herself for permission first.

You should ideally include clear credtis in the image, something like...
    Drawing: BoBo the seal
    Coloring: elkz

But really it doesn't look as good to potential employers. My thought when looking at it is... "OK, I can only evaluate this artist on their coloring ability, so it had better be a phenominal coloring job. Well, it's OK but not exceptional. And how much of the shading came from the original drawing? I'm gonna have to try to find the original now. Also, why didn't this artist create their own drawing? Hmmm I guess this person can't draw."

Anyhow, a little stream of consciousness there.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe show the original drawing or add a link to it so they can see clearly what you have added to the image.
  • elkz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elkz polycounter lvl 18
    thank you guys smile.gif

I'll add clear credits in the image & the page, also puting a scaled down sketch in the image
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    There is a precedent for this. Most comic colorist don't create the original drawings, they just color them in. But the big difference between that and what you're doing here is that the black and white comic book drawings are made knowing that someone else was going to color them, and like Eric said, they're phenominal coloring jobs. The drawing you find from Bobo and others might not be ideal candidates for coloring because they probably weren't drawn thinking that someone else was going to color them later.

I don't know what the comic book industry is like these days, but maybe you should look into that. If you developed a predifed color palette, and looked into comic coloring techniques, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it. Plus, you could definitely get away with just using the mouse and Photoshop, you don't really need a tablet because it's mainly using the lasso tool and gradients.