Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

PAID Freelance job

StratonAce
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StratonAce polycounter lvl 18
I was hoping to find someone here who might be interested in a small job opportunity? I am currently heading up a Total Conversion using the Max Payne 2 engine. Once complete, we plan to release it on the internet for free. There will be no profit in it for either my team or myself. BUT, I am willing to PAY for an experienced 3D artist to do the character models that we need. This will come out of my own pocket, so I would not be able to afford a huge sum. Of course this would be low-poly game art.

The character modeler that I had hired originally has had previous commitments come up and was not able to finish all of the models that my team needs. I was paying him $200.00 per character model and skin. He ended up doing 4 models, but I still need 2 more done. I’m willing to pay $200.00 each for these 2 remaining character models and skins if they are of professional quality. And I would need them to be high quality, as I want to retain a consistency throughout all of the characters. The characters that have already been completed are VERY high quality work. I’ve attached some pictures of the characters and you can visit the mod’s home page for even more pictures. That’s the kind of quality I’d need.

The mod is called Rogue-Ops. It is a sequel to a mod I had previously done called Katana.

The Rogue-Ops home page is here…
http://evolution.paynereactor.com/rogue-news.html

And the Katana home page is here…
http://evolution.paynereactor.com/katana-news.html

As far as how I would get the money to you, well I can do that however you would like. PayPal or some other money transfer method. I will even pay you the money up front so you’ll know I’m on the up and up. We are just a dedicated team of game modders who really believe in what we are doing and have a passion for it. I believe in it so much that I’m willing to pay for the models out of my own pocket. wink.gif

If you are interested, or know someone else who might be, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Patrick Paluski (StratonAce)
stratonace@sbcglobal.net

randal_at-ease.jpg

randal_action_panel_big.jpg

dar_at-ease.jpg

Replies

• StratonAce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • StratonAce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Within 2 days of posting my help wanted I managed to find myself with a full mailbox. Thanks to all those who applied, willing to help. I've found the help I need. wink.gif

Cheers,
    StratonAce
  • Dean Avanti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean Avanti polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Straton, i wondered how you got decent models so quick on RO,for $200.00, no fusss just do the damn thing i would of done that myself, how many people applied, how many were any good. If you had a good amount of replies this looks like a good idea, how fast did you get a finished model done through paying for it, i take it no rig or animation just model uv and skin.
  • DavidCoen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCoen polycounter lvl 18
    IMHO, you might find that some artist will do 'a little freebi' stuff, just to get some cash flow while they don't have much work, but underselling yourself is rather uncerstainable from the artist point of view, and from an 'employer's' point of view, if you are investing time and money into someone who you would like to keep on working with, you may need to pay them quite a bit more than 'simple minimum'...
  • StratonAce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the first guy I hired did an excellent job, as you can see in those above shots. He's just so busy with his day job and his wife and kids that it's hard for him to find the time to fit anything else in. But I got lucky, he got several of the models done for me. Actually, in the beginning, I had two modelers I hired out. One of them managed to get 1 model done for me, and I'm thankful for that. For the 4 models that are currently done, hmmm... It's taken many months. But again, that was because my modelers were so insanely busy. The new modelers I've hired say they can get what I require done within a month.

But yeah, if you want a good character modeler, I mean a professional quality one, you are probably going to have to pay. These guys just don't have enough free time to bother otherwise. So, if you don't have the modeling and skinning skills yourself, it just depends on how important your characters are to your mod. In a multiplayer mod, they're probably not too important, but in a single-player mod like yours and mine, well, for Rogue-Ops, the characters are VERY important.

For me personally, I had to sit down and ask myself, are the characters worth me paying $1400 out of my own pocket? For me the answer was yes. It hurt my wallet, but it was important enough to me and the mod that the sacrifice was going to be worth it. wink.gif
  • StratonAce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, missed a couple of your questions. wink.gif In two or three days I ended up with 8 responses willing to do the job. And all 8 of them were top-drawer from the looks of their samples. Although I think my stating that I was only looking for top quality stuff and showing what was done already might have helped to bring in the better quality modelers.

And they are not done yet, they've only just started. I was waiting on character sheets from my concept artist, otherwise they might have started already. And no, I'm not asking them to rig, just the model mesh and the skin texture.