Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first character model..

Mr.Reacto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr.Reacto polycounter lvl 18
Hello.. I have always been dreaming of making a model for Quake3 arena like 3 years ago... And today, I have finally making my first model(In wings3d). The model has been constructed in Wings3D from scratch.

elchucka.jpg

Though it still needs some skinning and animation.. though my next step is getting to skin the model.

The model has been seperated into 3 peices.. The head, the upperbody, the lowerbody. I tottaly apologize for the head model being a sphere pretty much.

any feedback??

p.s. Yes, I'm still new to all of this.

Replies

• KevinCoyle
    Offline / Send Message
    KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
    Not too bad for a first attempt. The positives are that you have extra geometry around the elbows and knees so the model won't fold when it deforms which is good, and you've attempted to work in some details.
    The negatives are the body is pretty shapeless, his torso looks basically like a block and his arms and legs are perfectly straight which isn't natural. A good thing to do would be to find (or draw) some references of at least a front and a side view and put them on planes in your scene so you can get a better body shape when modeling, like this...

reference setup

secondly, a sphere is not the best thing to start out with for a head, when poly modeling, a box is usually what you'll start out with, and begin shaping it to the desired shape and level of detail. There are many tutorials out there on box modeling heads and bodies which you'll want to check out.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    It's always good to see someone taking their first baby steps into the world of 3d.
    For a first model, it's good. Keep learnin' it will be cool to see you get it into quake.
  • Mr.Reacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments...

But my model is supposed to look more like a cartoonish/cybernatic type character than a human looking one because in my opinion, human like models look a bit boring except for the outfit style.

I tried animate him in milkshape but his legs and arms appeared to get deformed using the default skeleton system. I supposed I have to use gmax to do this.
  • Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    It might help if we can see the concept of what you are going for. Right now, it appears you have some good things going as far as joints and poly distribution, but if this is meant to be humanoid, it certainly needs some shaping.

Good start though. My first model was basically a bunch of boxes and cones.
  • Mr.Reacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok.. I think I ran into a difficult problem..

I have three skins for each meshes(upper body(512x512), lowerbody(512x512), and the head(256x256)).

When I took a look at the lower part of a sample model, it included the upper part along with two seperate textures(head and body), as well which I am about to get puzzled on how to animate this thing.
  • Mr.Reacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Here are the textured version of this model.

ecthumb1.jpg
    ecthumb2.jpg

As I said, hes not supposed to look anywhere near a human. he's mostly a computer graphical character(or call him a cartoon dude) to frag in various first person shooter games.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Since you keep saying it's not supposed to be human, it makes it very hard to give you any feedback. Those arms are amazingly long, but then again, maybe you meant them to be that way. Who knows?