Home Technical Talk

Digital Painting.

want2design
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
want2design polycounter lvl 18
Hi Everyone,

Recently, I have been really keen to get into digital painting (for the purposes of texturing). I downloaded all of the video tutorials from the polycount website, and although the tutorials are really good, I was still considerably confused at the end of watching them all.

I do not consider myself a Photoshop 'newbie' (as I am quite familiar with most aspects of it), but I feel that my limited knowledge of drawing and painting techniques will be my ultimate downfall.

Are there any video tutorials that include voice-over commentary of the steps being taken and the tools/settings being used? I feel that this type of tutorial may be of more benefit to me than simply observing.

Also, if there are books or DVDs that any of you could recommend in relation to digital painting in Photoshop, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks a lot for reading (and hopefully replying).

Regards,

want2design.

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    It's not about Photoshop, but an excellent digital painting book using Painter is called, "Digital Character Design and Painting". Also, and this may not be what you want to hear, but a course (or many courses) in traditional drawing and painting will serve you best in the long run. There's no one right way to use Photoshop to paint textures, and knowing which setting to use won't tell you anything about color theory, reflected light, texture, and so on.

Also, try posting up some textures you've done in the pimping section and I'm sure many folks here will be happy to offer suggestions on how to improve.
  • NoSeRider
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    I find most of the photoshop video tutorials either leave alot of information out, or are sorely lacking in ability.

Right now I'm finding the most important painting tool is the Lasso tool. Paticularly if you use the alt key in conjuction with the Lasso tool.
    straight line.

Lasso tool helps you make clean edges, with the alt key.

Use shift key in conjuction with the paint brush
    straight line.

Shift key and Alt key do good things.