Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warrior guy for UT2004

KevinCoyle
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
I'm working on a model for UT2004 of one of my character concepts. It's coming along ok but there are a few areas of it I'm having some trouble with, mainly the shoulders, back and hands. feedback and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Here are some images...
Concept Drawing
Model1
model2

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    He's got the sausage arms going. I see that a lot with people's first character models. Take a look at your own arms and study the models of experienced character artists. The arms don't pinch in all the way around at the elbow like you have it, and the wrists need to be much thinner.

But it's a cool concept and will make a cool character when it's done.
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    any buns and we could have hotdogs:)
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe this can help to show what is bad about "sausage arms". I hope this helps!

force.jpg
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies and feedback.

I've made some changes to the arms so they're less sausagey; also thinned the wrists and made some modifications to the chest and back. Here are some updated images. I'm going to start working on the head next.

front
    back
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better, but the arms could still use some work. You don't want parallel, straight edge loops going all the way around at the elbow. You want the edges to follow the actual muscels of the body. Take a look at this picture of the arm and see how the bicep kind of attaches further into the forearm: Arm

And the forearm itself is too big, he's looking a bit like Popeye. Also, the back looks like it's bulging out in the middle. It's good that you're showing the muscles in the back, but they don't look natural right now.

Keep refining though, you've got a good start.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some more changes to the arms, chest and back. I tried to make the elbow loops less parallel and flow more with bicep and forearm, though I still don't think it's quite right.

front view
    angled front
    Back
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still getting better. As long you keep improving, that's what matters. Just keep looking at real life examples of what you're trying to model, and stay away from modelling straight out of your head, at least until you've got this stuff down pat. Then you can go crazy and make stuff up, but then you'll have a firm foundation in anatomy to start from.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    took a break from the body and modeled the head. crits and suggestions welcome. ignore the neck, I'm using the one from the body, but extruding a quick neck helps me define the jaw better. Also I haven't added the hair yet.

Lugorhead
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by KevinCoyle
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LugorModel.jpg

He's pretty much done now. I'm going to look over it one last time to make sure everything's the way I want it, then I'll begin setting up the UV's.