Home General Discussion

EA: Fighting with your pocket book

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
I think (from what it seems) many people have problems with EA with the way the treat their employees, and are forcing outsourcing at an extended rate.

Just wondering: Have you thought about just not purchasing EA titles then? Or if nothing else not purchasing titles specically made with a bought out EA company?

Sure sure you could go on about it wont matter. But every little bit counts. Especially if you are vocal enough.

Maybe you could start a new campaign: Friends don't let friends buy EA games.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    All I know is that it's been a few years since I last bought an EA title even without boycotting them, they'd probably never notice when I start boycotting them.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    So what's the point here? Your ultimate goal in this hopeless endeavour is what exactly? To put at least 5 people that I know of on these boards out of a job? Please proliferate.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    All I know is that it's been a few years since I last bought an EA title even without boycotting them, they'd probably never notice when I start boycotting them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto (no offense to those who work there =P)
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Or even better, we could pirate their games to the world! Muahhahaha
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    *wonders what oXYnary would say if EA offered him an art lead position paying 6 figures a year*

What DaZ said. You may find it fun to block in the whole corporation as "EVIL COMPANY!" in your mind, but you have to remember good people work there and rely on the company to pay their wages, so they can look after themselves and their families.

Anyway, I recently bought Battlefield Vietnam, published by EA, it is still a very good game. My friends play the NFS Underground games, and enjoy them. Sure, EA pump out a lot of fairly crappy titles and make huge sweeping buyouts, but that doesn't stop them producing a few good games once in a while.
    Plus they provide work for thousands of game industry employees.
    If EA went tits up, do you think EVERY SINGLE artist and programmer who lost their job would be able to snap up a fresh job just like that? It's not like the industry isn't competitive.

MoP
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah man, don't put Daz out of a job! smile.gif

But really, boycott's rarely have any effect, unless they're conducted by a huge (and I mean HUGE), coordinated group of people who are also backing up the boycott with press releases and media coverage. And usually, it's the media coverage that has more of an impact than any actual loss of revenue. So if you're really upset by what's going on at EA I would suggest writing to your local paper, EA corporate offices, shareholders, other web sites, and whoever else you can think of. In the case of a single individual, the pen is mightier than the pocket book.

EA as a company is not even going to notice that one, or a few, people have stopped buying their products. And if they did notice a drop in sales they wouldn't necesarily know why. They could just think they're games aren't as good and make everyone work even longer hours and buy up more companies to compensate. smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    In agreement with Mop and Daz. I love the EA game I own. Boycotting EA will only make life worse for the amazing artists behind those titles. What needs to be done, is being done. The gaming world is aware of EA management practices. Step by step changes are being made to improve work conditions for game artists. A domino effect will promote change for all studios. Workers will have the time to refresh themselves, and find purpose in their work. The time will return when games are designed with the purpose of long lasting entertainment, and innovation...and not simply for short term profit. Or, maybe I'm dreaming.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    well if you stop buying ea games then you will soon have no games to buy.

with recent trends like DICE and Ubi Soft and with the rumors of them buying Atari, it just seems like you will be boycotting alot of products.

It sucks because this will make the industry lack creative products since there really will be no competition, but how about you just boycott bad games and buy good games.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    "Or, maybe I'm dreaming."
    It's a nice dream.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    removin my post cause this thread went to hell in a handbasket.. as expected.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...Maybe you could start a new campaign: Friends don't let friends buy EA games.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, but, but ... I love my Burnout 3, LotR Battle for Middle Earth, NfS Underground 2, MOHAA, Battlefield 1942/Vietnam... smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fellas, I answered this already about it making a difference. "Sure sure you could go on about it wont matter. But every little bit counts. Especially if you are vocal enough."

If we all felt that we don't make a difference, than nothing would happen in this world. We can make a difference as a group, and if we aren't afraid to speak up.

And really. Are we supposed to feel sorry for the people who work for EA? Thats not really a good excuse doncha think? I mean they aren't getting treated the best anyways, so maybe the cuts will help them get somewhere better (or possible worse). As it is since they are outsourcing more and more, whos to say they wont be cut anyways? Seems to me in the long run its a moot excuse to make.

I would beg of you if I was working for a shitty outfit to do your best to either make them change or go under. Of course I most likely would have been gone long before that after speaking out one too many times.. being that squeeky cog and all.

BTW isn't BF still by a independant developer? Im saying if you want to be anal, no EA developed titles. So BF would be "safe" for you addicts.

BTW: Don't look at me. I think my last EA game was Alice.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You're not making any sense and you're not answering my question. And no, I dont want your pity, thanks all the same. I've enough confidence to know how employable I am, but that's beside the point. I dont have any problems at all with how Im treated in my job. There are major perks to working here. Im working on a fun project right now and Im not working too hard. No problem as far as I can see. The changes that Grind mentioned are happening.

BF is *published* by EA but developed by DICE. What's your point? Whats the difference? So you're only going to promote the boycotting of games by EA studios, but not boycott games published by EA? Oh yeah, that makes so much sense. Really logically thought out there man.

Anyway, good luck with it all. You're gonna need it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not making sense is an oXYnary specialty, it seems smile.gif
    Oh of course it's everyone else who is not seeing the issue as clearly as oXYnary, sorry!

When did anyone suggest we should feel sorry for the people who work for EA? From what I know, Daz enjoys his job. Also, you say EA are a "shitty outfit" - they seem to be doing pretty well for such a crappy company, eh! Plus I reckon there are lots of workers for EA (who don't voice their opinions publicly) who enjoy the work and do not feel too hard-pushed.
    I would hardly say you have an informed viewpoint, you don't even work there (or even in the games industry at all, AFAIK - it's very easy to attack things like this from the outside where it will not affect yourself).

And yes, your EA developer/publisher argument also makes no sense. Are you saying we should only boycott EA-developed games, but not EA-published games? What if, say, the section of the company Daz currently works in got given a different name, "Digital Creatives", and a separate studio location, but all their games were produced under EA publishing? Would that make a difference to you?

As usual, I really don't see what you're getting at. Anarchy?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe start boycotting your isp cause they are propably part of some media giant and use mind control and slave labour and eat babies for dinner.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, it's gettin' hot in here. I know this is a personal issue for some, but maybe we can leave the personal attacks out of it, on all sides. Maybe?

Boycotts are a perfectly legitimate way to express your opinion on certain issues, although as I said before, not very effective. Oxy, if you're very passionate about this issue, do some research and start a letter writing campaign. Like you said, be vocal. But not just on these boards, out in the real world where it has more impact.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When did anyone suggest we feel sorry?
    FA:
    "Yeah man, don't put Daz out of a job!"
    ElysiumGX:
    "Boycotting EA will only make life worse for the amazing artists behind those titles. "

Daz, I wasn't talking to you. Really, when did I say "lets all help poor ol' Daz fight da man?"

MoP:"I would hardly say you have an informed viewpoint,"

That isn't even a arguement! As it is: and you do? What makes a informed viewpoint? We saw the threads, the spouse, we know the lawsuit, we see the outsourcing. Do we all have to join EA for a few months/years?

"Oxy, if you're very passionate about this issue, do some research and start a letter writing campaign. Like you said, be vocal. But not just on these boards, out in the real world where it has more impact."

Just a minute. Im not overly passionate. When did I ever show this on the subject? When did "you" initially become to represent me? Im not with the ones who are contantly commenting whenever EA is mentioned. In fact do you even see me under every EA issue? No.

I am trying to help give these people a vent and idea for their frustration. What do I get for my suggestion? Attacks, and telling me I make no sense. Funny, on another more intellectual board. They seem to be able to discern easier what I am trying to grasp/translate what I attempt to say. Some of you can't even be bothered before jumping down my throat because I don't stay in "safe" areas. That I like to make you think (god forbid!).

Im sorry, I will not become all of yours scapegoat to attack. Thats really your own problems and failures in idealism - not mine.

Thanks all for ruining a perfectly good thread to at least help those who are disgruntled ideas of how to combat. Just because you have given up doesnt mean you have to drag every one else into that pit with you. Your all are just super people!

Anyhow I just know whats his face is begging to come in and start the pig/mud comment again. Its all he seems hes good at.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    *sigh*
    In the words of Professor Spooner, you're a shining wit.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    oXY, if you want to boycott companies for their work conditions how about starting with those REAL sweatshops (say what you want but I'd consider crunchtime significantly less cruel than industrial-age style factories)?
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, so much for keeping out the personal attacks.

oXYnary: A little tip, don't attack someone who's trying to help you. Did you notice the smiley face after my comment about Daz losing his job? It means that the preceding sentence isn't meant to be taken seriously.

And my comment about you being passionate about this issue was a suggestion, not an attack. Notice the work "if" at the beginning, as in "IF you feel strongly about this, then do the following". And on the flip side, if you don't feel strongly, then don't worry about it. Like I said, merely a suggestion. Sorry if it sounded otherwise.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "Daz, I wasn't talking to you. Really, when did I say "lets all help poor ol' Daz fight da man?"

I dont even know what that sentence *means*.

Polycount is a community of artists. We help each other out, bounce off each other, learn from each other, teach each other, get each other jobs.

You're promoting something that has the aim of jeapordising the livelihoods of at least 5 or more of us on these boards.
    And you have the bloody nerve to get all pissy and defensive when I question you about it? Seriously, grow up.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    MoP:"I would hardly say you have an informed viewpoint,"

That isn't even a arguement! As it is: and you do? What makes a informed viewpoint? We saw the threads, the spouse, we know the lawsuit, we see the outsourcing. Do we all have to join EA for a few months/years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Mop has worked at a studio full time in house for several months for an internship. I would say this gives him quite a bit more authority to speak over the matter.
    You saw the threads and the lawsuit, but thats only one side of the coin.

You are speaking about this from a purely hypothetical outsider point of view. Mop was pointing out that you lack experience in the industry, which is what would make you have a more informed viewpoint.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also thought we help each other know whats best as far as companies? And try to make it better for everyone Daz? Isn't that also what such a community is for? At least I would hope so.

"You're promoting something that has the aim of jeapordising the livelihoods of at least 5 or more of us on these boards."

Absolutely, as I would hope you do the same for me. You also fail to see that it might also improve your livelihood. Geez, I thought I was a pessimist!

Again, your job can already be said to be in jeapordy in the long run with outsourcing. Agree/Disagree? So I fail to see why you are getting scared of my option. I mean at least there is some resistance offered with this versus just venturing into obilivion without a fight.

Im apologize Fat. Your previous posters had me riled up. I did in fact miss that.

Anyhow, I made a suggestion to help. Im done with this thread. You can disagree, but only going on about scare tactics about loosing jobs/anarchy or attacking writing styles does not address the underlying issue. It allows that issue to continue unabated, with your own fears helping it.

BTW KDR: I do (personally) as much as possible. wink.gif

EDIT: Poop: Thats still a cope out answer thats again not an arguement. Do I have to be president of the united states before I can criticize foreign policy? Do I have to be a director before attacking a film?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Poop: Thats still a cope out answer thats again not an arguement. Do I have to be president of the united states before I can criticize foreign policy? Do I have to be a director before attacking a film?

[/ QUOTE ]

In order to be taken seriously by the mere statements you make, yes. Otherwise you are just an armchair quarterback. There is a possibility what you have to say will ring true, but its very unlikely as you know so little as to what goes into whatever process you are critizing. Having experience lends credibility in and of itself.

You see only one facet of the situation from your viewpoint, and as such it is extremely limited. People are pointint out the fallacy of your arguments, and one reason they are giving you for why you don't have an accurate picture of the situation, is your inexperience. It is not a "cop out", its a very valid point.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I fail to see? I fail to see that a campaign to not buy EA games would improve my livelihood? YES. I do of course fail to see that! *Explain* it to me please! How can a succesful campaign to boycott EA product potentially increase my livelihood?

"getting scared" of your option?! Oxy that's quite frankly hilarious. I dont feel threatened by you or your campaign idea with one cel in my body. My job is not in jeapordy. If outsourcing becomes a reality, I'll be on the phone to India alot perhaps. But I wont lose my job. Yes, Im that confident of how much they need me here. Even If Im wrong, Im not 'afraid' for my job in the slightest. I KNOW I could find another job tommorow. Ive got many many friends in this business on polycount and elsewhere. And even If I couldn't find anything here I've got an entire other continent to look at. Not to mention an entire other industry in the form of film.

Listen, Im not 'condemning' you for trying to do this. It's a free messageboard. It's great that you feel that strongly about it. ( whatever 'it' is. Im not really sure ) even If your timing is a little off.

Fundamentally, Im just a little amused and befuddled by how you could post this here without considering the fact that you're going to get some flak. You're all pissy 'cos youre not getting a million responses going 'yay, lets bring down the evil corporation!!!111' As MoPs touched on, that's just a massive over simplification. You're trying to affect the lives of a whole bunch of people on this forum. I dont give a shit, but it's pretty funny that you cant see how that could possibly be taken as offensive?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks all for ruining a perfectly good thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, there wasn't much chance of this being a good thread. I'm guessing you don't see why that's so.

On the other hand, I guess I already do this, but in the same way that I do it with any studio - I don't buy bad games. If EA (or anyone else) is churning out a crap game, I don't reward them with my money. It's not based on some obscure ideology, just simply whether or not I think a game is any good. Incidentally, I bet that the better EA games are the ones in which the employees aren't driven to the brink of madness with 6 months of 70-hour weeks. Conversely, if Daz or Soul or whomever has made a great game that I want to play, what's the sense in not buying it? So I can't have fun and they don't get as big a royalty check? I'm pretty sure that the suits aren't going to look at declining profits and decide to give their workers more money and less taxing work schedules...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    On the side-topic we have here, I absolutely hate reading the old saw that people who aren't involved with a given thing aren't qualified to criticize or evaluate it. It's a bullshit generalization. I don't work in the game industry, for a number of reasons. Does anyone here really want to say they think Tubboy's commentary about the game industry is valid while mine is not, because he pushes polys for a game company and I push mine for an engineering firm? I triple dog dare anyone here to try arguing that...
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus H. Fucking-Christ.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I hear that some of EA's parts are great to work at, But like any place if they see that your willing to be a slave to the company they will take advantage of that. Its all about what type of life you want, ceirtain parts of EA you wouldnt be able to live the lifestyle you would want to live because each team is diffrent.

Me i think that Soul and Daz are pure evil, they have to be they work for EA and they are better than me on their worst day than i am on my best. That and as far as i know they dont sleep... well soul does but its only at his desk. wink.gif
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    On a lighter note, I have worked at EA Canada for 6.5 years now and I haven't thought about quitting at any time, I like it just fine, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • artgoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artgoon polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't bother me much except I've had about 4 interviews with EA VA and they STILL won't hire me frown.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Boycott them? EA is an amazing company, and they make outstanding products. I miss their old days of Populous and and Warmonger, but they still do great work.

My only issue with EA is that they sometimes forget about the people who got them where they are today. Dumping your employees after projects, and working them to death, isn't exactly a way to earn respect from your staff.

All in all, I hope EA learns from what they have done, and come out of it a better company. I'd love to see them restored to their past glory smile.gif