Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some bad speedpaints by Ramucho

Ramucho
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
Hi everyone, I decided to make some speedpaints in photoshop just to improve my bad painting skills. It seems that Im unable to give my paintings a finished and clean look because the lines are looking really blurry. Advices are more than welcome, even some links to some good tuts wont be so bad wink.gif

so here's the first one:

01face3ux.jpg

cheers

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    it looks like you used gaussian blur on the entire thing. Try just using a hard edge brush for the entire speed paint. Dont blur or smudge at all.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey Ramucho

sorry man if ya feel im hi-jacking abit but anyway.

Guys I have this same problem,not to the same extremes as Ramucho but still to the point the painting looks more like a WIP than a really clean solide finished peice...no matter how much depth I try put on it the edges just blur and I just cna't keep it sharp,yet I simply havent got the confidence to go over the entire thing in a solide brush becuase things just don't turn out right.

is this more to do with bad color selections or not a big enough range of colours or just generally a bad techneque?

Again sorry Ram

Cheers guys

john
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Don't worry bronco ^_^ it's good that this topic won't only help me.
    As for the technic I've used a grayscale Dodge/burn and smudge and the overlayed some colors in another layer. Hope someone will point out the right technic to use, but also some tips. But as bronco says I think it's all in the brush and the color choice.
    P.s: as for the drawing above it's only a 20 min speedpaint to show you my problem ^_^.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone has this problem when they start out, I think.
    I remember Bobo saying it best, the result of his words were "The best way to get a sharp looking painting is to use lights against darks". Complimentary colors work well against each other, warms with colds, ect.
    Hand cordination helps of course, and there's no secret to that except practice.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    No dodge or burn, just paint. It's the only way to learn it.

Maybe check out the Harley Brown book on painting, and the Carlos Huante DVD's from Gnomon, although probably any of the 2d painters from Gnomon would have alot to teach just by watching them work.

You also might want to actually try painting with real paint, I think acrylics are easier to start out with as they require alot less technical skill in application than oils. You can paint on anything too, buy some gesso and a piece of masonite, cut up the masonite, gesso the masonite pieces and go to town, you can do alot of small studies from life.
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    No dodge or burn, just paint. It's the only way to learn it.

Maybe check out the Harley Brown book on painting, and the Carlos Huante DVD's from Gnomon, although probably any of the 2d painters from Gnomon would have alot to teach just by watching them work.

You also might want to actually try painting with real paint, I think acrylics are easier to start out with as they require alot less technical skill in application than oils. You can paint on anything too, buy some gesso and a piece of masonite, cut up the masonite, gesso the masonite pieces and go to town, you can do alot of small studies from life.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true, if you understand what dodge and paint do, then why not use them.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Ive seen some artists use black and white to get the values of light/dark spot on first then overlay the color on top secondary. Thats what I've started to do.. especially since I'm red/green perception color blind. smile.gif
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    "That's not true, if you understand what dodge and paint do, then why not use them."

I don't mean that you'd never use features like that in PS to make art. I'm saying that if your motivation is to learn how to paint, then starting out trying to do it with dodge and burn isn't the most effective way. I'm talking about doing everything with color, that's what painting is...

Anyway back to the point, yes cep I agree that dodge/burn and other tools can be very helpful in creating art. In this fellow's case though he's interesting in improving his painting skills, all I'm saying is that maybe it's not a bad idea to actually just paint.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey guys

just wanted to say thanks for teh recent advise we have been giving each other.

Today I tried my hand at a digital painting,just randomly I decided to try the hardbrush techneque,using hardbrushs only and alot of colours slap erm on and see what comes out,the result was instresting,but at least it stayed sharp and the features were clearly visible.

So tonight i try the same techneque on this face ive been trying to do for days on end,only difference being the colour range was more restricted to just skin tone and afew reds for other areas of the face. Hard brushs,colour and smudge only.....and guess what its come out looking the best face texture I have EVER created....all the featurs are there,cleraly visable,its contrusty,still slightly on the untidy side in places but tahts really to be exspected and proportions are slightly out but apart from that im damn pleased. smile.gif

In essence Christmas has come early!!!!! and my confidence has been given a BIG boost!!

Sorry I can't post pics though,before/after kind athing...my webhost is playing up but ill try again tomorrow :P.

Thanks for the help guys long may it continue!!!

john