Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Attempt at a more realistic looking head.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
Well I've been working on and off on this thing for a while, and I did it for practice on making more realistic heads. I was mostly inspired by Daz's great looking bond character heads.

The head is about 1050 tris, and the texture is 512x512

Older shots
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Neo_God/Head/Headfront.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Neo_God/Head/Headside.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Neo_God/Head/Headangle.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Neo_God/Head/Headskin.jpg

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a pretty good start. His skin tone is too uniform right now. You need to add some slight pinks and purples in certain areas like around his eyes, the tip of his nose, cheeks, places like that. And make it a little more blotchy looking. His hair is all too much the same also. You need to add in variations of the color and dark and light areas. His eyes may still be a bit too white still. Maybe gray the whites out a bit more and maybe add some slight flesh tone to them to simulate reflecting his skin a little bit. It's a very good start, just needs some subtle tweaking.

The proportions of the back of his head looks a little off in the side view. Kind of like the back of his head and neck are stretched back a little too far.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey neo, lookin' pretty sharp. Personally, I'd bring his nose and upper lip area in a little more so his face isn't so pointy, but thats just my preference.

The skin could definitly use some more colour as Hollow stated. I think you've painted his cheekbone a little to low. It looks good on the flat but on the model its offly close to his jaw line.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Ah I didn't notice that like Adam did. Looks like that's more a problem of the uv mapping and not the texture. You could probably adjust the UV mapping real quick to move up the shadowing that shows where his skin sinks in under his cheek bones.
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    the hair behind his ears looks wierd i am guessing its the uv's fault, about the colors being to uniform, i picked up a really helpful pic on one of these threads about color variation in the face, dunno who originally made it, may help you out a bit

skincolor.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Hollowmind - Thanks for the blotchy tips, and on the eyes. I also forgot to mention that the hair he has on right now is really more of just a placeholder for a more detailde looking scalp, I just didn't feel like leaving him bald, haha.

Adam - That's a good point about the cheek, I'll see to that aswell.

Mr. Toast - I'll probably re-adjust those UVs, so when I put the more detailed hair on it won't look to funky. That pic looks pretty useful, thanks for posting it!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, follow those rules. When i started applying them to my facial skinning it totaly gives your work a less-monochrome look. Makes the skin seem pink and alive. Don't be afraid to really pick drastic colors while you are modifying skin tones. Just lightly paint them. Grays, dark blues, violets and medium reds are great. It looks great just needs some touch ups! smile.gif

[edit]

I think I over did the facial hair stubble but you get the picture. It was a quick paintover. wink.gif Just suggestions of course!

AlexHollenbach_Paintover.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    alright thats a pretty good job,
    i actually think what needs more fixing is the model rather than the skin

most prominantly the ear is proportionally too big, and his forehead/ brow go too far out

the vertrex point of the cheekbone should be probably dragged further back towards the ear.

as for the skin ill point u towards whats been said here by others, only add the eyebrow stands out to me as having a very unrealistic shape /color
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, I went over the skin, and did more work on the hair, it's still not finished though.I also messed with some of the proportions.
    Headfront2.jpg
    Headside2.jpg
    Headangle2.jpg
    Headskin2.jpg

Shotgun,I couldn't believe I missed the Ears, my art teacher would have killed me if she saw that I made a realistic head and didn't follow proper proportions. Though as I look at it now, they're still a little too big.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Latest update looks a ton better. I think the ears are not quite working texture wise. The model is not detailed enough to shade the ears correctly, so you might want to paint a bit of lighting into the ear texture. Keep up the good work man, its looking better each update.