Home General Discussion

Help! Applied for Internship/Contract position

Foehammer
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
I applied for an Internship/Contract position, here in Dallas at a local game company, if any of you get a chance could you take a look at my work and tell me honestly what you think my chances are for getting accepted? I know there are better qualified candidates and I am also aware that my texturing skills aren't up to par, but I am working on my skills in that area. Just looking to see if you think my chances are good and what if anything modeling wise I can concentrate on. Thanks for your time and I appreciate any advice you may have and critiques. (feel free to rip it to shreds) .............www.foehammergraphics.com

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    suggestion for your website...learn to use thumbnails.

I'm not an industry guy, but I'll share my thoughts. I wouldn't try entering the game industry until your skills are excellent and you are comfortable with the knowledge needed to succeed. Adding a variety of work to your porfolio would help to show your range of abilities. Many young potiental artist are trying to find a quick way into the industry, and their lack of experience shows in the finished product. Their desperation is what fuels the industry to label most individuals of that job title as expendable. Keep practising. You'll make it one day. Try showing some of your work in the PnP section for advice on how to progress with your talents. Have you contributed any work to a Mod project? That usually helps.

In the chance that an EA studio hires you...good luck!
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    In general, don't show works in progess. Finish the model, preferably with textures, before putting it on your site. Right now I'd say the space ship looks the best, but there's too much modelled detail for a game model. You have to be able to show that you can make low poly models as well as higher poly model. The robot doesn't have any kind of personality, it just looks like a block with a ball on top for the head. Plus, there's modeled detail that could easily be added with textures.

Join a mod, like ElysiumGX said. Learn to make game assets, not just 3d models.

Work on presentation. Seeing screen grabs and seeing that you're not using seperate thumbnails tells me that you're either not technically knowledgable enough to create thumbnails and make nice renders of your models, or that you're too lazy to do these things. Neither of which might be true, but that's the impression you give.

I can't speak for the company you sent a resume to, but if I where looking for interns I and I saw your site I might give you a chance if I was looking for someone to make spaceships and couldn't find anyone else with more experience. But those are both pretty big if's.

You obviously know your wat around Max, but you just need more work to show, and more finished work. Keep going. In can take a while to break in to the industry, and it can be frustrating, but stick with it. You'll get in eventually.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    bizump....thanks for the advice...anyone else?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Can't see blue text on black background very well. Try to keep your site all one style. It looked like I was visiting 3 or 4 different sites because none of them were the same... Ditto on what everyone else has posted as well. The resume was very hard to read with the font color you chose.