Home General Discussion

Console Memory Thread

jack_blackSISCO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jack_blackSISCO polycounter lvl 18
Every console developer is different I am sure. With my company, memory is always on the minds of us all. My question is, how do other companies deal with MEMORY issues?

For instance, our general way of thinking here is, make the environments and game play as imaginative and full of life as possible, then down size the memory. To me, that’s a good start but tends to be really painfull when deadlines are super tight and all nighters are every night almost.

Who else relates to this and who else's company that they work for do things differently? I'm primarily trying to gain a better understanding of how other companies approach this issue.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    With experience you know what will work at lower resolution, and what won't, so you'll work on object placemtn in levels, lighting etc to spread the load.

You will know what resolution meshes you can get away with and what texture sizes you should be using.

And then you go back and rip some out.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    master the art of doing textures that reduce to 16 colours.

Instancing geometry like trees (if your engine supports it), so that only one tree is held in memory, but displayed multiple times. The trick then is to get the lighting right so that it fits in all situations