Home General Discussion

Some Car Audio Questions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sonic polycounter lvl 18
hey guys. I just got a new truck, and wanted to upgrade the whole audio setup. My previous truck had everything already installed, and I knew a good deal about it, but there are some things I need to know now:

1.I've always known that generic brand nameless speakers are crap usually, but what about amps? The quality just isn't the same with most generic stuff, but if I buy an amp from a brand like Lightning or one of those generic ones off ebay, will it degrade the quality of my subs/speakers?
2.Will the preamp in my head unit be powerful enough for my door speakers? I listen to heavy music, and I like it loud, but not deafening. Will 25 watts RMS to each speaker be good enough?
3.What do you recommend wattage wise for subs? I listen to rock mostly, a lot of metal. No rap, just rock and others. How many watts and what size subs do you think would be good?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• tech_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tech_boy polycounter lvl 18
    I have a sony head unit which powers both the front & rear standard speakers in my car, but I have a nice kill switch for my 500w amp which runs a pair of exploder 6 by 9's and a bull power 300w sub, I rarely turn it up loud, mostly on the motorway, where I won't disturb anyone. I have it set with the bias on the rear speakers so I get a nice balanced sound, which stays pretty well balanced even with the amp on.

I was listening to "Walk" at about half of maximum volume on thursday evening, when giving Monkeyman a lift home, any louder & it starts getting painfull.

Tech_Boy