Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Look Ma, I can use Maya.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
First personal model I've made with Maya. Still some work to do on him. I suppose I should do something about those ears.

He's around 1600 polys with loops for lip syncing if I get around to it.
520.jpg
I had a really nice looking high poly version that I'd done a run over with the artisan sculpt tool, but Maya decided to crash while I was saving the thing. A decent autosave function is something it could really use.

Anyway, any crits you have would be welcome. If you could give me an idea how to do wireframe renders with maya it'd be handy too.

Replies

• flachdrache
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Looks mighty good - specialy for a first try with maya smile.gif.
    Front view has a nice style (like a comic type boxer) but in the sideview he looks a little .. goofysh smile.gif. Take a look on texavery`s guide for comicart - if you know what i mean smile.gif. (grrr - have to search it by my self again).
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    agree, the front view looks good, but everything about the side view is looking kind of wacky. hard to believe it's the same model. anyway try looking up some academic human head drawings in side view... no need to follow them exactly but only deviate slightly from that.

keep it up. care to show some wireframes?
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Offline / Send Message
    jack_blackSISCO polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet.......Maya is such an impressive tool ya know. Gets things done so quickly. Keep on it man.....Maya will really help you if you stick with it long enough. I've only used it 3 months now and I am crazy about it. Hell, I built one the the final levels of our game with it( http://www.lucasarts.com/ep3/ ) . Much more stable than max.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Jackablade, if your Maya crashes with an error saying it is crashing your file will be saved out to this folder. If it just disappears with no ram dump or error message then you are screwed. I suggest hitting Ctrl + s every time you hit a milestone in your modeling.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The front shot I really like. The side shot, however, looks in need of some help. His forhead slopes back on too much of a sharp angle, making his cranium look rather tiny.

There's also some odd geometry issue with the neck muscles meeting just below the Adam's Apple. I'm @ work otherwise I'd write more of a C&C, but I think most issues have been addressed already.
  • flachdrache
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, sorry my post wasnt too helpfull. Had the comic guide about slick, dumb and mean characters in mind while writing.
    iirc - the face shoud be on a straight line with a big, blocky chin (http://www.comicon.com/pulse/images_2/208fl2.jpg - flash, lower left).
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking sweet man. I can see a bit O yourself in the front view. I think its looking pretty cool overall, I'd love to see a nice stylized texture to go with em. 8-)
  • Zeldrik
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good steve.
    I see you converting to the dark side is going quite well, only crits is the side profile i think needs a little work.
    Otherwise good work.