Home General Discussion

War of the Worlds remake? MEEEE LIKEY!!

RageUnleashed
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
Just came out:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

Steven Speilberg is making it, so theres the distinct chance it will be awesome!

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh damn, that was cool!

Can't wait!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Initially estimated to have a 2007 release date, this film was abruptly greenlit in mid-August 2004, for a 2005 release, causing substantial delays in director Steven Spielberg's and star Tom Cruise's other projects.

The crew started filming only seven months prior to its release. In order to finish all 500+ CGI effects, Steven Spielberg did all the big action scenes in the early stages of shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be a test of what cruise and speilberg are really capable of. So far the idea looks promising. I believe ILM are handling the effects. Quite a work load.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Ew. Isn't Tom Cruise already too self-righteous, and now he has to defend the planet?

Speilberg probably already decided that the Martian tripods should have four legs. But they'll still call them 'tripods' in the movie.

Lost faith in Hollywood? Me? Nah.

/jzero
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I think it would have been better if it was set in the early 1900's, which is when the story is originally based. I think theres a danger of this film becoming another Independance day, a cheesy feel good factor film with little substance..
    I mean it would have been a marvel to see the Earth and its 'steam' technology attempting to battle the Martians and their heat rays.. f16's and stealth fighters of current day battle the martians doesnt create such interesting images in my head at least.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    All I can say is they had better make some cool looking Martians laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with spacemonkey here... the original setting would probably have made a more interesting film than the "modern day" they're doing.
    Still, it might be pretty good, Cruise has done alright recently.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Ditto, mOp & mOnKeY. The original time of the century would be best but the new will prolly rock anyways. smile.gif Not much of a trailer, however. Harumph! smirk.gif
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    The original story? The old movie was based around the 1950s...and I thought the story had it's origins in a radio show... who's the author of the original?
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    The radio show was based on the book by HG Wells.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The original story? The old movie was based around the 1950s...and I thought the story had it's origins in a radio show... who's the author of the original?

[/ QUOTE ]

authoer of the original: h.g. wells i believe. it took place around the turn of the century.

what was so awesome about it though was that for a good part of the book, the main character (who you never find the name of) just hears about the aliens attacking other towns, and there's one pod he looks at. as he goes to another town to find his family, people start to panic and go east, to try and get to mainland europe, but he's stuck in the middle of a town with some other guy.

well, it was awesome because the people were so confident that the aliens would be nothing at all, because they're technology was "advanced" and powerful. in cinema today, we've already seen laser death rays, and we have freaking giant bombs that can kill billions at the press of a button, super hot lasers wont wow and awe the audience if it takes place at current times, as there will be a diminished sense of urgency for the characters involved.

that said, i still plan on seeing it as i loved loved LOVED the book.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    actually there is another War of the Worlds movie being made also but, unlike speilberg's, this one is remaining true to the book link
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Wells was so far ahead of his time that I have no problem with it being set now.

I will reserve judgement. It could be good, you never know smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im excited about this, but definitely agree that it being set at the turn of the century like the original would have provided a more interesting and extreme juxtaposition between the world and its invaders than it being set in modern day.

Dont see much in the trailer, but I guess it has a nice 'feel' to it .
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    i wasn't much of a fan of the book,
    but if they stay true to it audiences will hate it, the books aliens concepts have been copied so many times that every part of it will be considered cliche by the average viewer
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    Hopefully, it'll be a better version of 'Independence Day'.

That movie was hokey and didn't play itself seriously.
    Tom Cruise don't play comedys...I'm not a fan of Cruise, but he don't do hokey movies....well, not intentionaly.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    I have high hopes for this film for a few reasons. One, it's Spielberg going back to what he does best. Sci-Fi. Two, Spielberg has commented in the past about his dislike of crap remakes. Three would be the fact that I am a Spielberg whore and owe much of my childhood memories to his films(Jaws, ET, and Indy for starters). So, I'm am way excited to see this film.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Just hearing that it was a remake made me skeptical, but seeing that Speilberg is directing I'll withhold judgement. And the fact that Tim Robbins is in it is another bonus.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Spielberg's name on it gives me hope, but I am still skeptical that it won't suck.

I remember watching the first film when I was a kid and loving it. I tried to find the original radio broadcast for download this past halloween but didn't have any luck. I guess I'll have to go buy one of those old-timey radio show CDs.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone remember the album by Jeff Wayne?! I believe it was released in 1976 and It's actually one of my first childhood memories. It was my first experience of the story, and not the 50's movie at all, which is probably why it only 'feels' right to me If it's set at the turn of the century. My Stepdad had the album, and I remember it really well. Particularly the line "The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million to one, they said". These album insert images blew me away as a yound kid, and are probably what first got me into sc-fi etc.

http://www.geofftaylor.btinternet.co.uk/gallerytwotw.html
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i'm skeptical, feels verry independance day to me.. hope not tho
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    The pictures are cool, but they totally ripped off Half Life 2 with the striders. smile.gif

That one with the crow sticks with you. I dig it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, I have that album on CD.

I think Speilberg is going to kill it. It needs someone darker directing it.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder how they'll work this ending. I mean it has to be the most anticlimatic ending ever... The Aliens are about to conquer the world..... and then they die. No hero. No big explosions. No countdown to oblivion. I just don't get how they're gonna make that work for the common movie goer.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    With jsut a handful of men, we'll start all over agaaaaain.....

There is another in the works, an UK CG based one:

waroftheworldsfilm.co.uk/
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Tom Cruise, eh? Are the Thetans invading?

wink.gif
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I smell a big pile of dung coming ....
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wonder how they'll work this ending. I mean it has to be the most anticlimatic ending ever... The Aliens are about to conquer the world..... and then they die. No hero. No big explosions. No countdown to oblivion. I just don't get how they're gonna make that work for the common movie goer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Probably Cruise will be a hobby-genetecist and will tailor a common cold virus to the Nazi-like aliens specifically. Then he'll grin like an idiot at his child sidekick and go on to a happy quiet life in the country.

It could be cool. But with Speilberg and Cruise both in it; well, let's just say I don't have a lot of faith in either of them making a movie that isn't about them.

Frank the Avenger
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    if you want a hero, big explosions and countdowns to oblivion go watch Independence Day. (it even has the aliens catching 'a virus' and dying in the most ridiculous psuedo-scientific piece of hackneyed writting ever.)

War of the Worlds is from a time when people actually thought and books weren't written to be turned into Hollywood scripts. let the classics stay classic. there's plenty of Hollywood style alien invasion stories out there, the classics don't need tweaking for modern audiences. if you want a classic piece of literature butchered into a movie for modern audiences watch The Time Machine.

what next remaking Moby Dick so that Captain Ahab is after the whale because it ate his wife and Quequay is now a young attractive blonde woman that helps Ahab find love again? ofcourse whale hunting is very un-PC nowadays so the 'White Whale' needs to be changed into a terrorist submarine ¬_¬