Home General Discussion

DOOM3 and my child

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
Last night my son tried out Doom3. It scared him so much that he ran out of the room. Next time he'll believe me when I tell him it's too scary!

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe. I have 3 daughters ages 3, 4, and 7 and they love to watch me play it even though it scares them. Although, they're too scared to play it themselves. wink.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Scary? What's scary about Doom 3? Sure, they're out there but I got the bigger guns!
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Techsmith, how old is this son of yours?

My kids love to watch me play my games, even though I won't let them play yet. I'll let my son do Marathon when he's twelve.. uh, next year! (holy crud...)

My 8-yr-old daughter likes to watch me play GTA3, but I'll only let her when I'm doing the offroad challenges or looking for packages. And if any gangs come after me while she's watching, of course I gotta run away and not gun them down. But I've explained the idea of the game to her, in essence: "Don't EVER do any of the stuff in this game!!" So it's a running joke, now.

My kids love computer games, and they're always curious about how the rules work, asking me questions about what happens when you yadda yadda... That gives me a little confidence, that means they're thinking about consequences and play structure, good skills for living in the real world, too.

And I let my daughter fool around with the Marathon level editor, she built a little floor plan and I textured it up. She was stoked about that. Can't wait to drop Radiant on her someday...

Come to think of it, I can't wait till my kids are old enough to play 'grown-up' games with me. Yeah.

/jzero
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    hahah, that's rad. I remember I came home one day to find my 1 year old daughter sitting in my "videogame chair" (an old crazy creek)holding the playstation controller looking at a blank tv screen.She would also like to sit at the computer and wiggle the mouse on the mouse pad and look at the computer all intense, like she was really into it.
    Im kind of weary about letting my babies see violent games, I only play Gta San andreas after everyone has gone to bed. and I keep the volume low.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's 8 Jzero. I warned him that it wouldn't be something he'd like. D3 is too much of a horror movie for him, and I alreasy new that. I also knew he would run away from the game, just like he did. He now has stopped pestering me about wanting to play it. Maybe he'll trust my gama advice a bit more now.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hahaha thats awesome. I showed my 6 year old sister HL2 and she was intrigued... until she heard a headcrap and just about pissed herself. This coming from a girl that owns 3 snakes, rats, and all sorts of rodents.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    I played DooM almost daily at the age of 9 - that was 10 years ago. shocked.gif

And my dad(46) got through HL2 in 3 days... On Hard! O_o
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    LOL @ this thread ..
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I dunnoooo guys your kids might become SATAN if they play this game when they're too young!!!
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, Doom3 won't affect him like that. His addiction to the Dungeon Keeper series might though.

BTW, I finally got to try Doom3 for myself an it almost scared the crap out of me! 1AM no lights and the sound cranked wooooooeeeeeee!
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    yeah brome, Headcraps scare the hell out of me also !

when you start playing D3 the atmoshpere and mmonsters scare you, when you get over half way thru the thought that you paid 50 bucks for this turd scares you
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Ohh i dont have kids or have had any kids be scaread by my pc games...but...id like ot add that the new black head crabs creeep me out O.O. *shrug* that scream they make as they jump at you...the effect after you get poisoned...and their zombies...fuck the fast zbs, i dont get near the poison headcrab zombies. >.< i nuke them from way far...from under a light lol..i think a have black-headcrab-phobia..

ok now lets move to your previous sheduled thread
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was letting my 7 year old nephew play some of the skiff boat levels. He was having a blast driving into things and just messing around. Then it came time for him to get off the boat and go into a tunnel, a dark tunnel with creepy noises inside. It was funny because the conversion went something like this.

Nephew: Whats in the tunnel.
    Me: I dunno why don't you go in and find out?
    Nephew: not until you tell me...
    Me: I am pretty sure bad guys are in there...
    Nephew: what kind of bad guys.
    Me: go in and find out
    Nephew: no, you tell me
    Me: oh sounds like they are coming out for you, get ready
    Nephew: I wanna go back to the boat
    he runs back to the boat and drives off, crashing into more things

I took my brother (his father into rottingham (whatever its called) he was creeped out and amazed at the saw blades. I know what you mean about the black headcrabs Needles I can't count the times I was unloading in the general direction of one of those, while back peddling. That little hiss snake rattle scream thing they do gets my attention faster than anything =P
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    I... HATE... The headcrabs...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I hate any form of small melee enemies in FPS games (which is why I hate UT2004 Invasion, all the enemies are either Skaarj variants or tiny melee enemies). Having ones that put you down to 1 health with a single hit only makes it even more annoying.