Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lola

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
finally got off my ass and unwrapped this model and did a texture for it. This is only my 3rd of 4th attempt at a skinning a character model, so be gentle.

lolaskin01.jpg

and here is a close up of the face
lolaskin02.jpg

one 512 texture for the head, and a 1024 for the body.

I know it's lacking depth, and certain parts of the skin look like ass (hands, goggles, backpack.....) but i decided to rush allot of the skin just to get it done so i can move on to other things. I've already learned a ton from doing this skin. feel free to give crits and comments, but i'm sure i'm not going to be touching this model's skin again. I'll eventually get to rigging it, but that probably wont be for another week or so. right now i have too many projects i want to get started on.
Head flat
Body Flat

Replies

• Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i really love the model and costume , i would say just add some contrast to the texture , and paint darker areas etc ...

Really nice work smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Besides what I've already told you in #md I just wanted to say I love the ipod on the arm idea.

I'm meddling with your flats right now to explain in more detail what I was talking about.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Model is good and the texture works pretty well on it, but generally there's lack of colour variation and enough contrast on various segments, mainly lacking dark colours as Thermidor said.
    I really like her eyes actually.
    But the nose lacks the shadows her eyes have, and the lips need colour variation on the highlights. Also the "dip" in the middle of the upper lip is way too big and wide.
    The goggles on her visor could do with any sort of detail at all, right now it's like she'd be putting solid metal cylinders over her eyes, and where's the fun in that!

Yeah, generally just not enough shadows and highlights, some of those would go a long way to making this great (and I don't mean just dodge/burn either! get some colour variation instead of shading with just black or white or whatever).

The saturation is really nice though, really makes her stand out.

MoP
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Have you tried baking some lighting to texture as a starting point? It's a huge help, and establishes your lights/darks/midtones right away. Worth trying in the future.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Whats this #md channel you speak of? smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good mule, one thing that i notice right away is that the textures seem really flat, almost cartoonish dunno if that intentional or not. If not i would say paint in some lighting.
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for all the replys, but nobody really told me anything i didn't know. Right now i'm just going to leave this model as is for a while. might come back and touch up the skin later, but right now i'm moving on to other things and i'm going to work on contrast and lighting, the 2 things i suck at