Home› General Discussion

Driving home drunk and sleepy

SouL
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SouL polycounter lvl 18
Don't do it.
I was halucinating and started seeing things that weren't on the road. The combination of dim objects further up and road lights make for some trippy shit.

Tail lights turned into "lit up" road cones. And what I thought was a giant shoe on the road turned out to be a combination of some off distance overpass bridge and tree.

Wild shit. Thankfully there weren't that many cars on the road earlier. Otherwise their tail lights would have really fucked with my head.

And my phone turned out to be in my car all along. I thought I'd left it at the bar my friends and I were at.

Replies

• sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Word! Glad you got home safe, maing. It ain't worth the risk. DWI can screw up your life on so many levels! confused.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    real smart move there, soul.. then again, my rule for driving home drunk is that if i cant drive my vette without grindin the gears or stallin it, i cant drive home.. tongue.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Me thinks you americans need tougher drunk driving laws.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Try watching the Milkdrop plugin for WinAmp in that state. Now THAT is interesting.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Driving drunk AND sleepy is completely stupid. Lucky you were able to post this story. I'm glad you're OK, just use some common sense.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that was a bit dumb. Ah well.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda something that can be figured out BEFORE trying it out...nevermind what can happen to you, think about anyone else you might harm. :/
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    First thing to go when you drink = your judgement.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I guess its to do with the sheer size of the country, and the lack of a public transport infrastructure, but when I first moved here it blew me away how socially acceptable it seemed to just hop in your car and drive home after a few drinks and a night out. It seemed like everybody did it and noone ever considered the word TAXI.

Dont do it man! Who the fuck am I gonna get to help me with all these characters If you wrap yourself around a lightpost?! smile.gif
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    $ 10,000 fine. SR22 filing required to reinstate licence and must be maintained by paying auto insurance policy. Auto insurance will cost $2,000 ~ $4,000 a year, for 3 years. You're premium will be cut in half to $ 1,000 ~ $2,000 after 3 years. Won't be eligible for perferred rates untill DUI conviction is over 7 years old.....California regulations.

If you get caught of course, but being drunk at work and in your car usually makes it likely.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know why you'd post this, but that was fucking stupid.

don't wory about wrapping your car around a lightpost, wory about wrapping it around some poor shmuck walking down the damn street.

i guess some people won't learn their lesson untill they kill someone. oh well! i guess that's part of growing up!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I was able to recite the alphabet, walk in a straight line, and touch my nose with my fingers! smile.gif
    I wasn't completely plastered. My friends and I spent a good hour or two sobering up before heading out. So... "drunk" probably wasn't the correct term to use.
    If I was drunk I don't think I could have gotten anywhere that night. A person has to have some kind of coordination left in them to be able to not stall a manual car's engine... as well as shift through the gears properly.

We stopped drinking around midnight... and I didn't head home 'till 3 in the morning
    I think it was more the sleepiness that made me start to see things. It's happened many times in the past.

But stupid either way, yes.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    ah i see.

well sure, there's a grey area of sobriety. either way, it sounds like you had fun smile.gif

is sobriety a word?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    done it ... and I was riding a bike too... I second that Soul, don't do it... hell sometimes I even stayed at the office since it was so late and I didn't want to risk pedaling on a highway through the middle of nowhere.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    It least you had the guts to admit it Soul. They say going without sleep 24 hours can emulate DUI very easily. I know, I have done it, almost to the point of seeing things. Only time I ever drove home under the influence was when a guy slipped me a long island tea that was loaded with Glen Levitt. OMG lucky the drive was only like one mile dirt road. The damn stuff actually clumbed up my spine and neck, never had booze effect me that way before or since. I generally stay away from the stuff. Goodluck Soul. smile.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Luckily Soul, you didn't kill an innocent person or yourself.

I'll repeat the *SMACK*
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    good job risking your own and other people's lifes.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that tiredness can be as dangerous as drinking. About 10 years ago I was driving through Kansas on my way to Florida, had only been on the road about 5 hours and felt just fine, if a little on the tired side. I hallucinated a deer jumping right out in front of me and instinctually hit the brakes HARD. There was an 18-wheeler right behind me with a full load that jacknifed. Luckily there was no damage done except maybe some brake shoes but I had some 'splaining to do. Damned herbivores.