Home General Discussion

Frontpage browser compatibility?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Urgh. All I want to do is have the text change colour when I mouse over. A simple little bloody thing. Works fine in i.e, but not in Firefox.
Im using Frontpage, which is of course an MS product. Any thoughts? I dont have time to learn html so 'use notepad' aint gonna help me right now thanks smile.gif I cant believe that trying to do something so simple would give me browser compatibility problems.

Thanks

edit: mebbe this should be in 2D/3D sorry?

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like you're talking about CSS.

What hex colors do you want for each link action?

NEVER use Frontpage. Never!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    #999999 for the link ( #333333 default )

I was afraid people would say that
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think placing something like this between your HEAD tags will work. Play around with it. I started making my site with IE as a previewer. When I tried Firefox, everything looked like shit. Firefox shows that you have bad code. After I cleaned up with Firefox in mind, everything is fine.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> A:link {
    font-weight: normal;
    color: #333333;
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    text-decoration: none
    }

A:visited {
    font-weight: normal;
    color: #333333;
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    text-decoration: none
    }

A:hover {
    color: #999999;
    }
    a:active {
    color: #999999;
    }
    </pre><hr />
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, I'll play with it. Thanks a lot.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Then again, Firefox doesn't seem to be able to cope with light/dark table borders - it ALWAYS puts the 3d-table effect on if you leave table borders visible. The "bordercolorlight" and "bordercolordark" values don't seem to affect Firefox's table display as they do IE's. Is there any way to get rid of the 3d table effect in Firefox (either through program settings, or altering the HTML?)

Just figured this request would fit here better rather than making a new thread. It's not too important that I find a fix, I am just wondering really.

Good luck Daz, can't wait too see what your new site looks like (then again, Frontpage... laugh.gif ) - well it's the content i'm after anyway!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I think there's a "border-style" attribute in CSS, might be called differently. Though last time we checked Firefox had the most support for table border styles, better than both Opera and IE.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I looked around on the border issue. I'll have to agree with you KDR. I avoid it by not showing any borders. CSS is the way to go. I like editing several pages at once with a single file.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    <STYLE>a:link {text-decoration: underline; font-family: Tahoma,arial,verdana,Helvetica; color: #cc9900}
    a:visited {text-decoration: underline; font-family: Tahoma,arial,verdana,Helvetica; color: #cc9900}
    a:active {text-decoration: none; font-family: Tahoma,arial,verdana,Helvetica; color: #cc9900}
    a:hover {text-decoration: none; font-family: Tahoma,arial,verdana,Helvetica; color: #cc9900}</STYLE>

what i use on my site.. put after <title> and in between the <head> 's..
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't that have to be <style type=text/css>?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm...I always thought it was something like this:
    <head>
    <style>
    body
    {
    your text/link color css code
    }
    </style>
    </head>
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    kdr... take a look at my site (assuming you're not using IE.. for that matter, anyone else not usin ie mind takin a look?).. if it looks wierd, then i'll give what you suggested a try..

http://www.studioflaagan.com/
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W3C Validator will tell you:

Line 5, column 6: required attribute "TYPE" not specified

but I've never known why this is important. I normally leave the "alt" tag off my images. I guess it's all a matter of compatibility and accessibility for larger sites. I believe some sites can be sued for not providing these functions.

I avoid placing styles within a page. Create CSS files and place a link to it in each page between the head tags after the title tag. This way, changing a single link, background, or text style will automatically update several pages saving you hours of work.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    im having an issue where my frames dont work correctly in firefox, i have a menu frame on the left, and that creates another frame that lists all my images on the right of it, and then once you click on the image file name, it is suppoesed to show up on the right in a 3rd frame. it works fine in explorer but for some reason it doesnt work in firefox. Any have this problem before? any ideas? thanks.
    my site: http://www.davidfromberg.com
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grind: Jup, the alt tag is for accessibility, for those who use a text browser (e.g. blind people).
    The type tag is important should there be more than one language for styles later on. hat way the browser doesn't have to guess what language you're using. The W3C demands you put a charset and doctype tag in any document but often it works well enough when the browser simply assumes a windows-type charset (though I've seen japanese sites omit this tag and therefore not displaying properly which kills Babelfish).