Home General Discussion

Quotes, from famous people...otherwise, why quote?

NoSeRider
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
[ QUOTE ]

Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.
~ Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
~ Samuel Johnson

Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men -- the other 999 follow women.
~ Groucho Marx

The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it.
~ Theodore Roosevelt

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
~ Sir Winston Churchill

Eighty percent of success is showing up.
~ Woody Allen

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
~ Bill Cosby

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.famous-quotes-and-quotations.com/index.html

Replies

• PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18

If I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.

If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails

Corenthians 13 2:9 -Apostle Paul New American Translation.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    some quotes i live by:

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
    -Thor Heyerdahl

Tell a lie loud enough and long enough and people will believe it.
    -Adolf Hitler

The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease.
    - Thomas Edison

What a strange religion medicine makes. It's the only religion that is federally backed, and even amid scientific controversy, cannot be questioned openly without persecution or ridicule.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease

Uneducated people believe what they are told...Educated people question what they are told.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    "My good friends this is the second time in our history that there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honor. I believe it is peace in our time."
    -Neville Chamberlain 1938
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Grind: Huh? I thought he was spelled "Adolf".

As for quotes, here's my quotes file, where I write down any quotes I'd like to keep for later usage:

Slashdot Fortune:
    Emacs, n.: A slow-moving parody of a text editor.
    Chicago law prohibits eating in a place that is on fire.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit, call it the target.
    Kirkland, Illinois, law forbids bees to fly over the village or through any of its streets.
    Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the answer.
    Political speeches are like steer horns. A point here, a point there, and a lot of bull inbetween. -- Alfred E. Neuman

Bill Gates:
    "There won't be anything we won't say to people to try and convince them that our way is the way to go."
    "There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs. But there's no-one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft"
    "Microsoft has not changed any of its plans for Windows. It is obvious that we will not include things like threads and preemptive multitasking in Windows. By the time we added that, you would have OS/2."
    "I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
    "Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under it's own name [...] without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."

Various:
    "Hell will freeze over before Microsoft does a filesystem right." -Linus Torvalds
    *The characters in the game might be garbaged depending on the kind of computer you use. -Vantage Master Online manual
    NC State Law. If a man and a woman who aren't married go to a hotel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married.
    PUBLIC SPLIT ON WHETHER BUSH IS A DIVIDER -CNN
    Unix: The only OS you can fork a child through a pipe and kill it.
    stack girl; if(girl.isEmpty()) cerr"\nGirl already devirginized"; else boy.push(girl.pop());
    "But Linux IS user friendly. It just is really picky about who it's friends with."
    When you play it backwards you hear the voice of Satan, but whats worse is when you play it foward you install Windows.
    "And then there was the guy we now call Simon the Server Slayer who put 'cd $dir; rm -rf *' into the root crontab of a development server. result:
    1. Wake up one morning to a totally wiped disk.
    2. Scratch our heads and restore from backup, including the cron entry.
    3. Rinse and repeat every day until someone finds the cron entry."
    "Power corrupts. PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."
    Reality is merely a delusion brought on by the deficiency of the vitamin LSD.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    give me liberty or give me death

all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

the price of freedom is eternal vigilance

i've got better things to do tonight than die

the human adventure is just beginning.

there is no fate but that which we make for ourselves.

god doesn't play dice with the universe.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Grind: Huh? I thought he was spelled "Adolf".

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad. fixed. Although it was from Hitler, I find that quote to be very true today in modern politics and medicine...and religion...and
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me.

I'm the master of low expectations.

It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.

I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them.

Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods.

I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.

All George Bush obviously. Funny stuff.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    "Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young..." - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix grin.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    "A witty comment proves nothing"
    ~Voltaire

"Procrastination is like Mastrubation, it's all fun, until you realise you've screwed yourself"
    ~Quote I attempted to use for my senior quote
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    I am become Death destroyer of Worlds
    ~Bhagavad Gita

Imagination is more important then Knowledge
    ~Albert Einstein

Courage is resistance to fear Mastery of Fear not the absence of fear
    ~Mark Twain

I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him
    ~Mark Twain

Fixed the name
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ~Some Indian(the country) book I cant remember

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

Calling the Bhagavad Gita "some Indian book" is like describing the King James Bible as "some European book". It is one of the primary texts of the Hindu faith, the oldest contemporary religion in the world. If you're only familiar with this phrase and not the book, I think it's more likely you're quoting J. Robert Oppenheimer's reference at the first atomic bomb test in 1945 than the Hindu goddess Shiva.

Regarding quotes, Oscar Wilde provided the only one that I feel is worth remembering: "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." Know that one and you can skip the rest. laugh.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    My favourite quote, which was some inspiration for dumbJoi stuff was one by van Gogh: "The creative power cannot be repressed, one must vent to what one feels."
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    - General George Patton (1885-1945)

"How can I lose to such an idiot?"
    - A shout from chessmaster Aaron Nimzovich (1886-1935)

"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
    - Cato the Elder (234-149 BC, AKA Marcus Porcius Cato)
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    "You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need."
    -- The Rolling Stones
  • Lupey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupey polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ~Some Indian(the country) book I cant remember

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

Calling the Bhagavad Gita "some Indian book" is like describing the King James Bible as "some European book". It is one of the primary texts of the Hindu faith, the oldest contemporary religion in the world. If you're only familiar with this phrase and not the book, I think it's more likely you're quoting J. Robert Oppenheimer's reference at the first atomic bomb test in 1945 than the Hindu goddess Shiva.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am familiar with the book
    I was just rather exausted and couldnt remember the name
    But yes I first heard it reguarding something Oppenheimer said
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    this quote iam always tempted to use when at my telemarketing job and i call someone who only speaks spanish

"ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?"
    - Jules "Pulp Fiction"
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Imagination is more important that knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

I still believe in spite of everything that people are really good at heart. - Anne Frank.

If you want peace, prepare for war. - The Punisher

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away and have their shoes! - George Carlin

Martin Luther King's entire I have a dream speech.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    In keeping with the military theme we've got going here:
    "Give me one regiment of the Australians and I will conquer the world" - Erwin Rommel, addressing Hitler on why his superior forces were defeated by a bunch of colonials.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Never argue with idiots they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I cant remember for the life of me who said that, I have a feeling Oscar Wilde but may be badly wrong.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Vermillion : Well said smile.gif
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    "The biggest proof that there is intelligent life out there is that non of it has tried to contact us."

-jack handy
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other human invention in history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
    -- Mitch Ratcliffe of the EFF

"Information wants to be free, but authors and software programmers want to get paid."
    -- Bruce Sterling

"What have I always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself unless you can see where it keeps its brain!"
    -- Arthur Weasley, in 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'

/jzero
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "LIFE - A sexually transmitted terminal disease."
    --Unknown
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    "There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is to punish the man with a superiour capacity for happiness--to bring him down to the level of 'good' men--i.e., of stupid, cowardly, and chronically unhappy men. And there is only one sound argument for democracy, and that is the argument that it is a crime for any man to hold himself out as better than other men, and--above all--a most heinous offense for him to prove it."
    From A Blind Spot, by H.L. Mencken, 1920

Verm. Only Oscar Wilde I recall is: Temptation is the only thing I can't resist.

Inspiration exists but it has to find us working. --Pablo Picasso

"Sometimes a good piss is as good as having a maid!" Tyrian Lanister

Taking your complaint to the very top level personal not one way, it is the only way. frosty

If your gonna win the rat race you better be a big rat.
    ?

If your gonna run with the big dogs you better be ready to pee on the big bushes or just stay on the porch.
    ?

If thou faint in the day of adversity thy strenth is small. Proverbs 24:10

By the breath of God frost is given, and the breadth of the waters is straightened. Job 23:10
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
    --Unknown
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Don't virtue yourself, virtue what you believe.
    -Cant remember...

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.
    -Cant remember either laugh.gif
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to sleep, perchance to dream, aye, there's the rub, for in that sleep of death who knows what dreams may come.
    hamlet, act 3 scene 1

'we need breathing room!'
    'hitler, earth, 1938'
    chang and kirk ST6.

'they invade our space and we fall back. the assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. well no more, the line must be drawn here, this far NO FURTHER!'
    picard, star trek: first contact

"'gracious in defeat' my ass, i'm going to kick the crap out of them"
    mackenzie calhoun star trek: new frontier book 4.

"Let me hear you say it...'i surrender herr keiser. Make it quick!"
    "Surrender? SURRENDER??!! YOU THINK THIS LETTER ON MY HEAD STANDS FOR FRANCE ?"
    kleiser and captain america ultimates #12
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Withdraw into yourself and look. And if you do not find yourself beautiful yet, act as does the creator of a statue that is to be made beautiful; he cuts away here, he smooths there, he makes this line lighter, this other purer, until a lovely face has grown upon his work. So do you also: cut away all that is excessive, straighten all that is crooked, bring light to all that is overcast, labor to make all one glow of beauty and never cease chiseling your statue, until there shall shine out on you from it the godlike splendor of virtue, until you shall see the perfect goodness surely established in the stainless shrine.
    --Plotinus
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tell a lie loud enough and long enough and people will believe it.
    -Adolf Hitler

"Give me one regiment of the Australians and I will conquer the world" - Erwin Rommel, addressing Hitler on why his superior forces were defeated by a bunch of colonials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of those were said by those men,
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    "What beauty. I saw clouds and their light shadows on the distant dear earth.... The water looked like darkish, slightly gleaming spots.... When I watched the horizon, I saw the abrupt, contrasting transition from the earth's light-colored surface to the absolutely black sky. I enjoyed the rich color spectrum of the earth. It is surrounded by a light blue aureole that gradually darkens, becoming turquiose, dark blue, violet, and finally coal black. [Observations during the first manned orbit of the earth, April 12, 1961.]

Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin, Russian Astronaut, 1961
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless romans had timemachine i doubt it belongs to Punisher.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    "You can't see the texture? Your monitor's brightness must be too low. Either that or the texture's black." - SouL

Actually, no, I just made that up.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
    -- Jim Harkins
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I heard it on the movie and thought it was cool. Couldn't be bothered to find where it really came from. I'm so learned.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Neither of those were said by those men,

[/ QUOTE ]You may be right, but Rommel's line has certainly been attributed to him a number of times by a variety of reliable sources (books, documentarys, etc). Theres always a good chance that its a complete fabrication... you have to wonder how exactly the quote came to known outside Hitler's office much less outside Germany.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I heard it on the movie and thought it was cool. Couldn't be bothered to find where it really came from. I'm so learned.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's alright - you still get mad bonus points for being a chick and quoting lines from The Punisher.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bring nothing into your life that is not either useful or that you believe to be beautiful.
    --Willian Morris
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    send not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee
    john donne

we all know the movies are full of shit
    i've been eating a lot of garlic and i just farted, silent, but deadly.
    unlike other vampires, her fangs are in her cunt.
    now do we sign you up for the night-stalker decoder ring?
    hannibal king, blade: trinity

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' until you find a big enough rock
    will rogers

the five d's of dodgeball: duck, dodge, dip, dive and dodge.
    patches o'houlihan dodgeball.