Home General Discussion

Willy Wonka..... Willy wonka.... Willy wonka.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
swampbug polycounter lvl 18
I must have watched this trailer 20 times already. I dont know why, and yet I know exactly why. :P MAke sence? Well niether does the trailer. But the trailer actually makes perfect sence to me. laugh.gif

Click the link. This movie should be kick ass!

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=18971

user.gif

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe this time they will do the follow up - "The Glass Elevator"
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting... Depp seems to have taken Wonka in a bit of a different direction than Gene Wilder (which isn't a bad thing, since he is a different actor and should have a different interpretation of the role). I'm a fan of Burton, and a fan of Depp, but I'm also very fond of Wilder's performance in the original movie; I hope this new movie is able to live up to the original (I've read that it's not quite as 'dark' as the original, and that it more closely follows the book... which I've never read anyway).
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for showing the link! Yea, I've just watched it about a dozen times in a row since downloading it, there's something oddly cool about it, and yet another example of Johnny Depp totally owning a movie role.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hahaha thats awesome. Depp rules.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Oh wow. Depp is the man. I'm beginning the think there's nothing the man can't do. What an actor.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I still think it would have been twisted if they kept Marilyn Manson as Wonka (as originally concepted). However, I think that Depp will do a hell of a job.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I CANT STOP WATCHING THIS!!!!! HELP ME!!!!

Willy wonka, willy wonka, and the choalate factory. Willy wonka, willy wonka, and the ...... HELP ME!!!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I still think it would have been twisted if they kept Marilyn Manson as Wonka (as originally concepted). However, I think that Depp will do a hell of a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I remember hearing a long time ago that Manson would play the role of Wonka. I initially thought it would be cool, but I think it would've been a bit gimmicky. Depp should do a great job.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ack. Nasty nasty scripting. Slapstick pratfalling. Bad bad hideous. They've turned Mr Wonka into an idiot. It must be stopped now before its too late.

As for Manson, he's busy playing the Queen of Hearts in the new Alice in Wonderland film, called Living in Neon Dreams. Should be an interesting one...
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    hmm I'm not really too keen on this at all.
    it might turn out good, I don't know, but I'm not sure I see any reason to remake such a good classic.
    kinda like remaking the wizard of oz.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Chewing gum is really gross. Chewing gum I hate the most.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Duke-" I don't know, but I'm not sure I see any reason to remake such a good classic.
    kinda like remaking the wizard of oz."

Have you watched the old ver. lately? I remember a month back or so I caught it on tv. What struck me is how kinda 'crappy' it was. It's funny how your memory plays a different ver. than what is real. I certanly would not put it in the same class as MGM's ver. of Wizard of Oz.

As for the clip.. ahh I not seeing any 'great' but not seeing bad ether.

Does anyone remember the fly-trap bit from the Great Glass Elevator?
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    you may be right, time and memory does have a way of playing tricks, but my first impression after hearing of a remake is doubt.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i had hopes untill seeing the trailer actualy just did not liek dep in that role, not sure why, just didnt sit well
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    It's interesting that they kept a bit of the 60's flair.

And I saw this tidbit on imdb.com:
    Christopher Lee .... Willy Wonka's Father

Wonder what that's all about.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's interesting that they kept a bit of the 60's flair.

And I saw this tidbit on imdb.com:
    Christopher Lee .... Willy Wonka's Father

Wonder what that's all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee made a pact with the devil that he must make about 6 movies a year and he will be able to live forever..
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like it could be good. I'm sorta intriuged by the small scenes with the Oompa Loompas, it looks like each song may be a different genre.

Somthing about Depp's face is bothering me in that trailer, he's sorta giving off a Pedophile vibe...haha.

Oh well, I have faith in Tim Burton he's done great in just about every movie he's done (Except planet of the apes, being such a large fan of the original movies. I thought his versions sucked.)
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    Burton has an obession with Rube Goldberg gadgets (google it if you don't know)

So that explains alot of the look. I don't know if I will like Depp's wonka, I may, I like the chewing gum line, thats great, however. what was great about Wilder's wonka is that you weren't quite sure if he was sane, Depp's gives off a flair of dramatic insanity.

It's not a remake tho, its a Re-imagining of the book.
    The Screen Writer John August who worked with burton on Big Fish a Truly under-rated marvel, never even saw the Gene wilder wonka, until after he turned in the script for the new movie, so I don't see any homages coming to the original, unless its in musical form thanks to Danny elfman singing all the oompa loompa parts himself.

I think it could be good, and It probably will be, because its Burton...and Elfman, at the very least it will be rememberable.

I am looking forward to that, and about a million other projects coming down the pipeline.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It does look pretty similar to the original film for the most part. I didn't see any particular sugestion of Rube Goldberg style in the preview.

The thing I liked about the original Wonka was that he came off as an wise and philosophical if slightly insane person with quotes from everything from the Tao ti Ching to Alfred Hitchcock and a bunch of nice little saying and proverbs of his own.

That bubblegum line is just painful by comparison.

[ QUOTE ]
    A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

[/ QUOTE ]