Home General Discussion

How do u makke contacts...????

Rajeev3d
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rajeev3d polycounter lvl 18
we all know how imp it is to make contacts....but i wanna ask every1, how do u make contacts while ur doing ur course...puttiing in 11-12 hrs a day at school, speacially if its just a one yr course, plus ur doing it from some other country...

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, you'll find that forums such as these are a good place to make industry contacts. Plenty of professional artists post on the Polycount boards, also on www.cgtalk.com and www.conceptart.org .

Just make sure you don't piss anyone off, always act sensible and mature, make constructive and useful comments, and expect any work you post for criticism to be treated in the same way as you would treat others'.

I would also take the time to type out sentences in "proper" English, many forum members don't have English as a native language, so abbreviations and such might not be understood. Also it makes a better impression if you spend the extra half second it takes to type "your" instead of "ur", and other such things.

Word to the wise - making a good impression is the first step to making useful and friendly contacts...

MoP
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Do some work, and post it for others to see. Just being here isn't enough really, as you probably want to make contacts based on the art you are producing.

I can't remember the last time I posted any artwork, and I really should.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Rick, I saw your name in the GTA credits. You'll do for one of my contacts! wink.gif
    But yes, post more art. Haven't seen anything from you for decades.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I lost the interest to do home art, as is often the case, and I can't really show stuff that I do at work.

But I'm hankerin' to show off again.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The Polycount boards and #md have been my main way of making contacts. Trying to post productiviness aswell as make constructive replies to peoples work. Show others in the industry you've got the professional mentality/work ethic and you'll do well.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I would second what Mop said. Check your spelling and use real english, if you're purpose is to make a professional impression. If you're just being casual with friends then don't worry about it.

If I were in a position to hire someone, I would definitely consider Mop, Rick and Adam, base soley on their continually intelligent contributions to this board. And I've never met any of them.

And I know it's hard when you're spending tons of time at school, but get out to industry events and meet people. Also, keep in touch with your school mates because you never know where they might end up, and they'll be able to help you get into a company from the inside.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, this board, chchat, and concept art are great places to meet people.

icq is also another great medium, while some are more reluctant to use it than others - its still good. Email always works too smile.gif

be cool, show work, dont be lazy. wink.gif
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    And learning to type might be a good idea.

Frank the Avenger