Home General Discussion

Xbox keyboard + mouse adapter: ownz my bonez

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
steady polycounter lvl 18
OK so I live at this frat house right and like the only thing that we have been doing lately is playing 16 player HALO2 over the network and it is some of the most fun I have ever played in video games. So I grew up playing Doom and Quake and basically learned to play first person shooters on the mouse and keyboard and when I got to console first person shooters I was mediocre at best. So anticipating the release of HALO2 I ordered the "smartjoy frag" from http://www.lik-sang.com which is some company out in Hong Kong and I finally recieved my adapter 3 weeks after the game came out. Before I got it, I ranked about 3rd or 2nd when I played. So tonight we played and I finally had the chance to show off my new adapter and totally stomped on their nuts. I picked off head shots like picking flowers, and I had the top score by a margin of 30 frags. This ain't no advertisement, I just thought I'd share this awesome thing with you if you haven't heard about it.

//BURRRPP.

I'm too cheap to get xbox live. Is it worth it?

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. It doesn't really surprise me though, since using a joypad for aiming is absolutely horrid. That's what has always put me off about console FPSs, but lately I've been able to tolerate it to play certain games i.e. Halo, Metroid, etc. (I still don't like using a joypad to aim, though).

I remember back when my friends were all into Goldeneye, and I was into Half-Life and TFC; they were completely dumbfounded when I told them that I didn't think Goldeneye was all that great and that splitscreen multiplayer sucked balls.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Oo! I need to get this!
    Recently I've sucked ass at counsle shooters, more so because of the wonky movement.

Ha! Keyser, I loved Goldeneye's multiplayer, I was good at that because I played it non stop, c'mon you mean to tell me you didn't love running around that temple map as oddjob while on crouch, slapping people to death?...or are my friends and me the only ones that did that?
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    Me want... Me want BAAAAAAD!!!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Neo_God, no, everyone did that smile.gif
    We had our own special "game mode" where everyone had to crouch, DK Big Head mode cheat was on, it was capture the flag, and only slapping was allowed. Great fun - big silly cartoon characters sliding around the place because there was no crouch-walk animation... Boris and Ourumov looked funniest in that mode.

The only way I'd ever play a console FPS these days is if I could use mouse and keyboard. Joypad aiming is, as Keyser says, absolutely horrid. FPS + Joypad = baaaaad ... keyboard and mouse gives so much more control and a more natural "feel"...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know... i actually prefer console aiming. lots better at it than with the mouse and keyboard.

007... only way to play was no radar and one-shot kills. that gets you aiming pretty well. heh.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I just oredered mine wink.gif
    The world of console gaming is going to change quite a bit from this, imo. It's going to be far more demanding than it has been in the past. Things like this will bring PC super-freaks like Fatal1ty into the console gaming scene.
    Should be QUITE entertaining laugh.gif
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    It supports KVM switches, too, so the XBox can share with the HTPC!! I don't know about "completely changing console gaming," but it's definitely a great start. From what I understand, though, there is a bit of wonkiness about it. Particularly, the turning speed is still limited by the game, so no quick whipping around to nail the person behind you. Thinking about it, I think I might rather have just a different, innovative controller with some radical design. I don't know. Until that comes along, this will work just fine smile.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i'll get one as soon as i get an xbox smile.gif quite frankly i think that console controlers are terrible, but i guess if you master it, it'd be just as good?

nah...
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    well i used one of these when it first came out at the lan center, and unfortunately, the sensitivity in games like halo is only left and right, not up and down, so it felt really weird. and since i play cs on computer, it was gonna throw me off... plus im already good with a controller, so i didnt really need it
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    quite frankly i think that console controlers are terrible, but i guess if you master it, it'd be just as good?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they simply are not as good as a keyboard and mouse for speed and precision, which are vital in shooters. You want proof you say? Well as evidence of this, if console controllers are better for accuracy, precision, and speed, then why doesn't everyone who works on a computer use a gamepad instead of a mouse? Would a gamepad work for graphic designers? Digital Painters? Game artists? Nope.

Simply put, the mouse, or some other pointer-type device like a wacom tablet allows for far more speed and accuracy when aiming anything. I could see a secondary controller for general movement instead of a keyboard however being a possible alternative however.

I made this point to a friend of mine who is a graphic designer/console gamer, who was insisting that gamepads were the ultimate in control, and his response was "Why do you have to always be so damn logical with your arguments?" Loved that one.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    oh fuck that's great

yah i think mice are way better. i'm in a constant argument with my buddy about which is better. i see him, and anyone else play halo and by comp standards, they suck terrible ass. they'd get absolutely no kills if they played agasint a server full of keyboard mouse people.

my friend says that a mouse is cheating, because it's equating movement and aiming down to a 2d surface-- he says it's different from a joystick because with a joystick, you have to pick the angle that you want to move your aimer too, and then do it with a specific amount of pressure over a specific amount of time, and really there's no "start point" or "end point" to the physical motion of your thumb. with a mouse, on the other hand, you just look to another direction.

me trying to tell him that this more closely emulates human movement has failed, of course. if i had to consiously exheart X amount of joules for N amount of seccond every time i moved my head... i'd walk into shit too haha

ah well.
  • Major Clod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major Clod polycounter lvl 18
    It would be sweet to have a mouse and keyboard in Halo, but then again what is the point of having a console if you are just going to play it like a PC. I used to find the console aiming horrible but now I'm quite used to it and regularly win most matches at Xbox nights. That being said I'm sure the keyboard and mouse would help me even more, but eh, I still enjoy playing with the controller too.

I find it satisfying to master games like that on a console, if I want to use a keyboard and mouse I'd play a PC game. I can't imagine Halo 2 would be as fun with quick and precise aiming.

I probably will order one of these though and try them out.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i have a smartjoy xbox adapter and on my first atempt using it i did much worse than i did with the regular controler (Halo2) i expected total ownage like you experieenced, but instead it felt verry sluggish, especialy the character movement, withthe wasd keys, i should pratice with it some more but havent had time