Home General Discussion

Framed game art.. your art for sale?

eXpendabLe
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
I have a concept that I'd like to throw out for discussion amongst the pro game artists here. Currently, I have manufactured and import framed artwork for a company that I have ownership in. We market this art to many brick and mortar retailers and a thought occurred to me yesterday while inspecting our latest container that I find very exciting. Why not sell the art of professional game artists like yourselves? I'm thinking of art not covered by NDA or other 3rd party rights, but personal art or concepts to start.. then work our way up to negotiating for the rights to print studio art if possible. My idea would be to sell this art on the web and then through specialty retailers eventually. This web art store would have bio's of the artists and links to portfolio sites, etc. I have the sourcing overseas, the warehouse and distribution capabilities and an eCommerce foundation to build upon in place if you guys are interested in this concept. But before I spend much time forming a business plan, I need to hear from the pro's here to see if this is another income source they would be interested in pursuing. I'd need to know a few things such as:

1. What's a fair split of profits for your art? or how would you feel most comfortable in selling your art.

2. What opportunities/leverage do you have in getting studio's to participate in allowing us to print and sell game art they own?

3. How many pro artists are willing to participate to make this a viable online business.

And of course and questions or concerns any willing participant needs to address if interested in this concept.

Thanks to all who read and give feedback.