Home General Discussion

SEATTLE: IGDA Meeting 16th (Game Character Create)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
"NOTE: This meeting is not open to DIGIPEN STUDENTS unless you are an IGDA member. This is an INTERMEDIATE - ADVANCED talk on creation of 3D Game Character Art for ARTISTS and PROGRAMMERS; beginners are welcome as well.

RSVP please! ("Hot Appetizer Head Count") mailto:jsward[at]digipen.edu

SPUTNIK meeting - December 16, 2004 DigiPen Instutite of Technology, Redmond, Washtington. Directions http://www.digipen.edu/campus/visitorinfo/directions.shtml *********

6:30-7:30 pm ** The Seattle Sputnik IGDA Christmas party will kick us off with good eats by ChiliHead Catering! Hot Appetizers and Drinks while we mingle before the talk.

7:30-9:00 pm ** Game Character Creation with Mike O'Rourke of Fritz Studio ************

With the next-next generation of consoles visible on the horizon and developers realizing great performance from new graphics cards in PC games, there is a huge need for greater amounts of high quality game art. All game developers today are rethinking their process for game art creation - simply asking artists to work longer hours is not the answer.

Guest Speaker Mike O'Rourke will outline his process for creating great-looking characters and assets that function well in a runtime environment and don't break the budgets (polygonal budget, time budget AND $$$ budget).

Starting from primitives and finishing with normal mapping, Mike will outline several time saving tips and tricks for asset creation targeted for PC and consoles, as well as answer questions about the games industry in general.

Mike O'Rourke is the principle of Fritz Studio ( www.fritzstudio.com ) in Portland, a contract game development group that focuses on creating 3d character art with an emphasis on functionality.

Mike has extensive 3D art creation experience for games, having worked on Enter the Matrix (Shiny) and American McGee's Alice (EA)as well as several titles at Cyclone/3DO. In addition to production credits, Mike also has designed 3D software (Discreet) and training (Oregon3D) experience.

The December Seattle Sputnik/IGDA is sponsored by:
DigiPen Institute of Technology
Discreet

This notice brought to you by the Sputnik board:
Jen Sward, DigiPen
Alexander Jhin, Microsoft
Christopher Erhardt, DigiPen"

Im almost sure she means ONLY for Digipen students as far as being a IGDA member, but I will ask her to double check. Most of you with companies behind you can get membership through them.

http://www.igda.org/seattle/meet.htm

Sputnik rarely has meetings focused in our area. Take advantage of this while you can.

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds good. I'll be there. Thanks for the heads up.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I was living there already so I could go frown.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could always move. It's nice and rainy right now. smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Bah I want to go frown.gif It's too bad Toronto doesn't have anything like these things ever. I always miss out on the goods frown.gif
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    I love rainy days! Will I be able to attend these things even if I don't work in the gaming industry?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Oxy, I and some of the boys from work might be able to make it.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmm. Mayyyyybe.
    Hey, anyone going to the gathering at the Garage tomorrow (Thursday, 8pm)? I'll be there.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats that gathering at the Garage mean? You mean garage games down in Oregon?

Anyhow talked to Jen. The membership is ONLY required for Digipen students. But you might want to RSVP so they have enough food.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    The Garage, the bar on capitol hill smile.gif There is a night there every so often when people in the game industry get together.

I won't be there joolz, wish I could be, we could finally both be there at one of those smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh so its a "in the industry" thing. Ok.

*goes hides head in corner in shame*
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The last time I went there I saw more than a few people who technically aren't "in the industry". No shame. Not to hijack your thread- I'll try to go to the IGDA thing.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm.. Well FYi Pixels having something in the afternoon.

""Breaking Into Games"
    12/16/04 Conference at LWTC
    What an aspiring artist needs to know!

Featuring - David Johnson from Wild Tangent, Duri Price of Exceed Training, Mike Ingrasia from Digital World FX, The WWSDAF's visualization team, a special look at 3D Printing, industry news, and more.

Schedule

1:00 PM - Meet & Mingle
    1:15 pm - A Major Address - "Jobs in Games Today"
    1:30 PM - David from Wild Tangent on "Getting a Job in Games Today"
    2:00 PM - Duri Price From Exceed Training on "Breaking Into Games Via Testing"
    2:30 Pm - Mike Ingrasia on "How You Earn Tour Way Into a Production Opportunity"
    3:00 PM - Travis, Mike, and Daniel on fighting against cancer with 3D visualization.
    3:30 PM - 3D Printing and making your character an action figure
    4:00 PM - Resume Review & Comment Panel
    4:30 PM - Done

About Our Presenters

David J from Wild Tangent - Master modeler, games artist, teacher, mentor and more. David is a rare combination of unique skills and wonderful personality that make working with him an absolute joy. Join us as he shares his thoughts on entering the industry.

Duri Price of Exceed Training - With years of experience and a rich history in testing, QA and more, Duri is another heavy hitter that can tell you just how you earn a spot in a game company via the test route. An experienced game producer that comes from "back in the day" you will enjoy his instruction and you will learn a ton too!

Mike Ingrasia of Digital World FX - An international resource and icon in the art community. Mike is not only a master artisan, he is a mentor and friend to numerous aspiring talent and artists. Mike is renowned for being candid and direct as he guides interested parties to their goals of being paid professional artists.

Travis, Mike, and Daniel - An energetic and interesting team that has come together with the WWSDAF to support the visualization needs of some of our regions finest medical minds. We invite you to see their work, learn their story, and share in their success.

3D Printing Review - Did you know you can have your 3D Models output into hard resin based physical models? It is easy and it is incredibly powerful for selling your ideas and you will learn all about this amazing technology at the conference.

Dan "Major Pixel" Kemmis - Your host and Emcee, "The Major" is right at home in the splendid confines of LWTC. Dan brings his candid style of hosting to LWTC again as we return to find out just what you the aspiring artist needs to do to break into the games arena.

Panel - Bring your reels & resumes, and join active professionals as they review, comment, and critique portfolios live and in person!

This Conference is Free for all to Attend.
    To RSVP or for more information, send an email to:
    mailto:%20contact@wwsdaf.org or call (206) 387-1710

Where: Lake Washington Technical College
    Room W401 in the West Building, 4th floor

11605 132nd Avenue NE
    Kirkland, WA 98034-8506
    (425) 739-8100
    Click Here for a Map & Directions

This Conference is Sponsored by

The World Wide Society Digital Artists Foundation

&

Lake Washington Technical College

"
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a reminder.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didnt see anyone from poly??. Oh well, your loss. Anyhow I ended up sitting near Paul Steed and getting into a conversation. That was a treat! I wish more people were up front as he is.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dammit. I was stuck having dinner at an old folks home.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Long time lurker...first post!

I was there on Thursday and had a lot of fun (too much normal map stuff, imo). I didn't talk to too many people as my friend and I arrived kind of late.

Anyways, thought this would be a good opportunity for an intro. ooo.gif

-Gonzo
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome aboard Gonzo. Wish I could have gone.

Seems like normal mapping is the new "Big Thing". I can definitely see the advantages, but I think for a while at least it's going to be used for it's own sake and added as kind of a "feature" of the game. It'll be nice when it's not that big of a deal anymore a people just use it when it really enhances the art and it isn't the focus itself. An example of over use for its own sake would be Halo 2, I think it could have been toned down in the faces and had a better effect that way.
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I could have gone, I haven't seen major pixel in a long time.

Gonzo; whats up dude. Its cool to see you posting on polycount.