Home General Discussion

Matrix movie not written by Wachowski's....wha?...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
http://www.slccglobelink.com/news/2004/1...us-785067.shtml

I assume many of you already saw this posted on Penny Arcade, but just in case, enjoy.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    So, were Reloaded and Revolutions already in that first concept or are they merely included for being derivative works?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I bet the majority of people wont even hear about this. AOL Time warner being the giant it is. 2Billion dollars!! wow. Ill have to look her up, and ask her for a million.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Read this from PA this morning. That's wild. This does prove two things.

1. Why the two sequels did not live up to the original, even with state-of-the-art polygonal technologies.
    2. How much influence large corporations have over the media. Scary. Down with AOL!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    LOLERSKATES !!!!
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    She's not getting 2 billion dollars. She's getting a settlement based on the earnings of the Matrix movies, and, if you'll notice, the Terminator, also. Together those represent over 2 billion dollars in sales, so she'll get a piece of that action, but not all of it.

It's funny, I was just having a conversation yesterday with a co-worker/fellow movie geek, where I said that there's probably a hidden story to why Matrix 2+3 were so bad. I said it might be because the Hollywood Boys didn't understand the original script, and made the Wachowskis cut a bunch of stuff out. Now I see that my instinct was correct, but that the Wachowskis turn out to BE part of the Hollywood Boys. "Ha ha, that's very logical!"

I distinctly remember being halfway through the first Matrix movie, thinking, "This is a really good re-working of William Gibson concepts and the Terminator backstory!" But I had no idea...

So, I wonder where one can read "The Third Eye" by Sophia Stewart?

/jzero
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Jsuss that takes the biscuit! i hope she gets everything thats comming to her, about time tha TW got their comuppance after making such a fuss at the MIAA do, LOL what a bunch of hypocrits.

tpe
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Man, I hadn't realised how much Time-Warner owns. Whoever is the head of that company probably whipes his ass with $100,000 bills ffs.

And gg to the girl, hope she gets it all.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha! laugh.gif hilarious
    Vahl just sent me this: http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/actu2/matrixdarkcity.htm

Interesting thing smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    No wonder the 2nd and 3rd films were such plotless meandering action-fests, then. I don't see how they thought they could get away with something like this ... plagiarism on a global scale...
    Plus, wtf @ that Dark City site ... are the Wachowskis taking the piss or what?
    Also, I just talked to my friend who has seen Dark City, but hasn't seen The Matrix or any of the sequels... in his opinion, Dark City wasn't a very good film... but still it was a year before the Matrix.
    So, they stole the script from this woman, then stole the atmosphere and cinematography from a different film, it seems like?

Still, The Matrix is a good movie, IMHO.
  • Fabool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabool polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh.. Hollywood, the land of remakes and rip-offs.

And while you're at it... wink.gif

http://webmirror.kobran.org/matrixgits/page1.html

Personally, I have very little love for The Matrix. Though I would like to see the Wachowski brother squirming smile.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Now that somebody actually gets what she deserves i can see more similar lawsuits coming.

matrix the new king of movies hall-of-shame laugh.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    As far as I'm concerned, I'm sticking with my position from the Atari forums...

[ QUOTE ]
    Originally posted by Illusions
    Also in current headlines, Philosophers: Aristotle, Nietzche, Plato, Hume, Bonaventure, Jesus, Mohammed, Lao Tzu, Mary Magdalene and the Gnostics, among others have risen from the grave to file a lawsuit against Sophia Stewart and the Wachoski brothers for ripping off their stories. No word yet as to how these cases will be handled.

As yet unknown are whether the Greek Goddess, Persephone, as well as the so claimed only decendants of Jesus Christ, the Merovingian bloodline, will be following suit...

[/ QUOTE ]
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    No wonder the 2nd and 3rd films were such plotless meandering action-fests, then. I don't see how they thought they could get away with something like this ... plagiarism on a global scale...
    Plus, wtf @ that Dark City site ... are the Wachowskis taking the piss or what?
    Also, I just talked to my friend who has seen Dark City, but hasn't seen The Matrix or any of the sequels... in his opinion, Dark City wasn't a very good film... but still it was a year before the Matrix.
    So, they stole the script from this woman, then stole the atmosphere and cinematography from a different film, it seems like?

Still, The Matrix is a good movie, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

That whole dark city rip off thing is bogus. The movies were both in production at the same time for one. And for two, I bet I could draw those similarities with a hundred movies. Take two slasher movies and I bet I'd find plenty of scenes that were similar.

As for the original topic, Im just glad it's all getting sorted out in court.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh the irony, AOL/Time Warner pulling the wool over everyones eyes to keep the "truth" from them. No wonder the first matrix was rejected and an entire corp was lost, look who made it! AOL! =P
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    I thought matrix was pitched as "ghost in a shell live action"
    It was never meant to be original but this is something else...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yeah this could possibly explain how good the first matrix movie was by comparison to the other two... and i would also be curious to read the 'third eye' script smile.gif
  • Paolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    So this means that all those interviews with the W-Bros regarding the deeply woven meanings of the trilogy are also utter bullcrap.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    dark city http://imdb.com/title/tt0118929/
    matrix http://imdb.com/title/tt0133093/

this is taken from IMDB:
    "Sets from the film Dark City (1998), including rooftops, buildings and others exteriors sets, were used in this film. The rooftops that Trinity runs across at the beginning of the film are the same ones that John Murdoch runs across in Dark City"

its pretty safe to say that a lot of the visual look came from dark city wink.gif.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah this could possibly explain how good the first matrix movie was by comparison to the other two... and i would also be curious to read the 'third eye' script smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.949zht.com/matrix/index7.html
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So this means that all those interviews with the W-Bros regarding the deeply woven meanings of the trilogy are also utter bullcrap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly mad.gif
  • skankerzero
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    why the hell doesn't she post her script to prove her point, without it how can she expect public support
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Makes perfect sense, I liked the first but the sequels were trash.
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Just wondering, concidering how old the story is, why this hasnt made it to other news sites (non TW)? it smells a little of the pixar suit, are there any other sources that back it up?

tpe
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Third Eye draft script copywritten in 1984 aparently.
    http://www.949zht.com/matrix/index7.html
    Haven't looked through it as yet.

EDIT:OK, Its a little bit of a very badly written story. I'm not sure I can bring myself to read the whole thing. Doesn't really resemble a script and particularly not a script that would become a decent movie. There are a couple of images which are somewhat incriminating though...

While the Wachowski's clearly lifted a significant portion of the story from here, theres a lot of work thats been done on it afterwards to hammer into something that doesn't come off cheap and tacky.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just wondering, concidering how old the story is, why this hasnt made it to other news sites (non TW)? it smells a little of the pixar suit, are there any other sources that back it up?

tpe

[/ QUOTE ]
    She addresses that question in the last phragraph on the first page.
    [ QUOTE ]
    "The reason you have not seen any of this in the media is because Warner Brothers parent company is AOL-Time Warner... this GIANT owns 95 percent of the media... let me give you a clue as to what they own in the media business... New York Times papers/magazines, LA Times papers/magazines, People Magazine, CNN news, Extra, Celebrity Justice, Entertainment Tonight, HBO, New Line Cinema, Dreamworks, Newsweek, Village Roadshow... many, many more!... They are not going to report on themselves. They have been surpressing my case for years..."

[/ QUOTE ]
    Anyone else see the irony? The closest thing we have to the Matrix just tried to hide the truth from the general population. I find it kind of ironic, sad, and a teeny bit funny. Look for AOL/Time/Warner to put out the first Matrix sometime in 2050, of course we will reject it, its from AOL.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I hope she wins, and realises this has nothing to do with race. "Yet again, we have been lied to and stolen from white owned multimillion dollar corporations like Warner Brothers and Fox in Hollywood who continue to steal and take credit for the work of creative Black minds!"
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    "vig. i was actually wondering about the age of the news story from 28 oct rather than how long she has been pushing for a case, it is just a bit od that it only got published in a university paper and not on any of the independants? I had a look on a couple of entertainment newse sites, the bbc, reuters etc and couldnt find anything apart from skankerzeros link to confirm the result.
    As the headline says victorious presumably there shoud be a settlement comming up soonish that we can look forward too?
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Having read the files on the site mentioned above, it's not the complete script, just some relevant stuff. (you think someone who just won a suit about stealing her stuff would post the whole thing on the 'Net? riiight.) But it is interesting to note that the opening page has some strong whiffs of both Revelations and the Nativity from the New Testament. Not exactly unfamiliar territory with regard to derivations, but who's copping off of who here, anyway?

Interesting that James Cameron settled out of court with Harlan Ellison years ago, after Ellison accused him of stealing from some of his old Outer Limits scripts. Ellison actually gets writing credit on 'Terminator' now.

It is very very strange about coverage, you would think after all this that it would be the top story at imdb.com, but it isn't. In fact, daghettotymz.com is the top Google hit. Something is weird there.

But this is only the sixth Zion, after all.

/jzero
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Yikes. After reading that article, I have a tough time believing she's any sort of talented writer. I mean, basic grammar isn't so elusive as all that, and I can't think anyone in Hollywood is likely to wade through a script or treatement that is littered with shitty punctuation and randomly capitalized words. Besides, doesn't she realize that her Black Brother on the quest for Justice, Morpheus, lived while all the oppressive whitey's died? Sheesh...