Home General Discussion

Your ideal setting for a game

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
What would your ideal setting for a game be? I know the exact opposite would be an exact duplicate of the real world, only slightly more gritty. Whoops! thats 90% of the games out there.

For me, I think a slightly alien planet, or a much more stylized version of our world would be fun. Something with alot of color, and alot of interesting new designs. Maybe the nymph castle set inside a tree, or an enchanted grove that has been protected by undead unicorns for millenia. 8-)

I know the ridge in the rancor level on Kotor, where you could see your ship parked on the beach, was just breathtaking. Probably one of my most beautiful moments in a video game.

Replies

• Cannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannon polycounter lvl 18
    I like high tech apocalyptic-ish if you catch my drift...like system shock I suppose?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    medieval. pure medieval, no fantasy shit in there. I'll be making my game one day...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Recently, I've been thinking it would be cool for a game to be set in a very stylized version of the 19th century (in fact, not just a 'stylized' version, but more of an alternate version). I have these ideas of a few characters in my head; one is this burly, bald blacksmith with huge muttonchops, and another is a wild-eyed 19th century scientist with all sorts of crazy inventions. Hmmm... I think this idea must stem from watching 'The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.' as a kid. That was a great show, and I had forgotten about it until I made this post smile.gif.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    A fully realised midieval fantasy world that is alive with people living lives and monsters that lives lives too. A very brite and colorfull world of weird and unknown creatures that look alomost fimiliar but just a little off. Everything would feel just a little off. Big vistas that look over picturesk towns and citys. thats what i want.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    something from world war 2 that's not set in france, germany, or the pacific. like greece, norway, north africa, east africa or hell even the aleutians...
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I would love to play a game in an exact replica of my own living environment.
    But the gameplay has got to involve all kinds of cool things that I could never do in real life.
  • Redlemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redlemons polycounter lvl 18
    Real-life environments like in Rainbow Six and SWAT3, but not just a few floors of an office, I'm talking an entire suburb or a few square city blocks. Not a place where 90 per cent of the doors are 'locked' (just textures) but actually open to real places. Somewhere you could see a 30 storey building a few blocks away, walk over to it and go to every floor and every office and every home. Half Life 2 tried to give that illusion with the apartments, but something larger would be cool. And of course it'd be a tactical shooter like Rainbow 6 and SWAT3.

Either that or a real jungle and science base mix like in the Jurassic Park movies. Tresspasser was almost there.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trespasser, good idea! i want a game where i'm hunted, and i feel like i'm being hunted with dynamic music. So far no one has been able to make a player scared of dieing and truly feel like something is stalking them. This is where the living world thing comes in for me. I want to have monsters that are hungery and know your just as much a bite of food as the next creature. How about this, insted of killing everything we see in games, why dont we make it so we just try not to die in games. i love a good war cry of "RUN AWAY!!" to start my day.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The jungle in Predator!
    Nice idea with the nymph castle tree interior, poop - that could be really cool and original...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I liked a lot of the scenes/settings from Final Fantasy X. Lots of colours, sometimes looking almost medievel with some serreal architecture...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    What would your ideal setting for a game be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Historical accuracy and realism (not WWII), for the purpose of education. Environments designed from actual research and knowledge of the locations that once existed (not WWII). Weaponry and Clothing from that time, with included information about them. Replications of ancients wars that are rarely taught in schools, and it's effect on our culture. Actual language of that region and time (with subtitles), instead of crappy accents.

Basically a game where realism can be used as an educational tool. Kids will love the games, and never know they're learning world history. My 13 year old brother can name every single gun that existed during WWII. That proves it's possible.

Many games "based" on history or fictional history are so generic. Battlefield1942 was on to something, but it was WWII. I can name and describe more battles from that war than I could before the game was released. But this idea covers not just war games, but adventures. There could be games that educate about the Greeks, Romans, Vikings, Aztec and Mayans, Native Americans, Egyptians...etc.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    M.C. Escher. 'nuff said.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I want to see a game patterned after the work of a well-known artist, taken to the level of production design where it looks like you are in a world created by Moebius, for example. (or Escher, yeah, KDR!!) One of these days I'm going to attempt this with my own artwork, maybe.

My ideal setting would be a fairly realistic environment where exploration of places and objects would be possible and an integral part of gameplay. Game objectives would be fulfilled not just by shooting people or things.

AND there would be none of that stupid crap where everyone is out to get you. Circumstances of the game would be fuzzy, where not everyone could recognize you, and some of your tasks would involve not being recognized. Sorry if this would burden the AI programmers, but I'm tired of instant enemy recognition, coupled with immediate and unflinching attacks. And the enemy AI would allow them to run away from you if you play enough of a badass, and not fight to the death every stinking time.

There may be games like this already, but there's a lot I haven't played, so clue me in.

/jzero
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    A complete one. Seriously, the setting itself doesn't matter to me, as long is it's complete, and not thrown together to look cool. One I can believe.

Frank the Avenger
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    there is no ideal setting for me, I like alot of things. an interesting setting could be....

a toxic jungle filled with abandoned factories and broken skyscrapers... inhabited by primitive superstitious people. The civilization, our civilization, who built all the skyscrapers and toxic factories and power plants is long gone, there is no trace of them. The thing that seems appealing about a world like that is that you have all these people who are completely different from us, they are still humans and have certain similar values, maybe not even that, but the cool thing is that you get to discover what these people make out of the world we live in today... it could be funny, ironic, sad, scary, infuriating... lots of cool stuff could happen in a world like that. There could be groups of people who live in a similar environment who have completely different social structures and priorities...

You could also take that and add magic to it... like say the cataclysmic event that wiped out our civilization changed the structure of the world and now people can train to have "magic like" abilities.

or not.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Sounds like the Eloi from "The Time Machine".
    Only without the magic... and yours has less flesh-eating Morlocks.
    Ruins have always appealed to me from a visual standpoint.
    I prefer my games/environments to be fantastic. Something unlike current realistic urban reality. Fantasy or Sci-Fi...either way.

I think underwater stuff could be cool as well. A long time ago I was working on an deep underwater archeological dig of Atlantean Ruins...that appealed to me.

It would have had:
    A) Cool modern industrial techy stuff.
    B) Deep undersea life.
    C) Ancient ruins, covered in barnicles & kelp, and deeper into it, goldon idols and immaculate temples.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    its ahrd to choose but i'd really like to see something like BAMA or night city from neuromancer. some realy old fashioned cyberpunk. deus ex/deus ex the invisible war was close at times but needed to be push further
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i love stuff like hotels, huge ass manors, skyscrapers, modern stuff, with a slight near-future touch.
    game buildings tend to be pretty small, so a full scale, fully functioning building would be great fun, in my opinion. you'd need to have a working day/night cycle though for it to really work. a lot of the time in games like hitman, it's just the same thing over and over again.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    WW2, or...

Star spanning epic, with high, but limited technology, Two Vast empires in conflict. Metric assloads of worlds to explore. ship based combat, atmospheric combat, Combined arms combat, small arms combat, melee combat. a number of player playable races, animals to hunt and exploit for cash. A robust commercial as well as military advancement set of opportunities. playable as first, third, or RTS, depending on rank, and or situation. And art direction that does not include Leather (except in footwear), chains, skulls, caricatured feet, Satanic or occult symbols, but does have that syd Meade, Craig Mullins, Ralph McQuarrie look. MMO? perhaps,but lets make sure the single player works first.

Scott
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott, me and you should have a privet talk. I have a game design doc that sounds just like that but in much more detail.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    what Mr Ruggles said but i would add in no load times. i want to be able to fly from one end of the solar system to the other without a load screen. might not be possible but i would settle for being able to run around on a planet's surface, then hop in my ship and fly into space without load times smile.gif

also realistic styled ships. more starwars/firefly styled flying junkheaps vs star trek's aerodynamic super clean look. to be able to walk around in the ship while flying through space (starwars galaxies space expansion lets you do this so its possible smile.gif ) alien ships that look like they were designed for and by aliens and real aliens not humans in nose/forehead/ear prosthetics wink.gif with their own languages and they really speak in those languages. starship modification!

NPCs that hold real conversations around you as you walk down the street. play through in 1st or 3rd person views! co-op play! subtle RPG elements like in GTA:SA.

/me explodes from the sheer concept of it all before he can write anymore
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    midieval times, only you have to fight off aliens or something and they have laser guns and technology, but you've got a sword and 20 other guys with swords. that would be pretty cool to play.

or, perhaps a giant battle like in braveheart, but you play as one of the people from the first person, it would need a fairly complex sword system though to be very good.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Post-apocalyptic settings have always apealled to me. A first person version of Fallout done in the realistic style of HL2 would be awesome.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Realistic Space game, with shuttle launch, space walks. Landing on the moon. or going to mars, or jupiters moon Io in search of life.
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    A fully realised midieval fantasy world that is alive with people living lives and monsters that lives lives too. A very brite and colorfull world of weird and unknown creatures that look alomost fimiliar but just a little off. Everything would feel just a little off. Big vistas that look over picturesk towns and citys. thats what i want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds kind of like Xanth.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    The mythological past of the Celts because noone knows anything much about how things were back then but after reading 30 books about it I have a genuinely love and respect for the spirit of the times and the objective of the legends surrounding them and I would love to bring that to life even though noone would appreciate more than the gameplay....
    .. it would make me happy, a rare thing.

r.
  • DavidCoen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCoen polycounter lvl 18
    take some element of everyday life, and extrapolate it, sci-fi novel style, 5000 years in the future (or similar), to give the background world a darkly comic sense of ridicule (thinking 'Brazil' or '5th element')
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    take some element of everyday life, and extrapolate it, sci-fi novel style, 5000 years in the future (or similar), to give the background world a darkly comic sense of ridicule (thinking 'Brazil' or '5th element')

[/ QUOTE ]

Brazil actually takes place during the 20th century, but I know what you mean, that would be a great atmosphere for a game.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    Zeta Reticuli Greys have finally been invaded by Earth Military Interstellar Forces who massacre the aliens, actually were the invading aliens, and rescue naked impregnanted earth women who have been biologically inseminated by Greys Genetic Material whose purpose is to make a super hybrid race.

I think it would be a neet idea to make a game based on the UFO mythology....but in 3D...not in 2d sprite.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    That whole "total space sim" sounds like what Derek Smart has always been trying to do. I think Braben and Bell might get it playable before Smart does, though. Either way, Elite 2 already allows you to take off from erth and fly across the solar system and stuf without loadtimes. I'd guess Elite 4 will be what you're describing here. If it ever comes out, that is.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Leisure Suit Larry world
    that or 300 years from now