Home General Discussion

WarDevil: the most hotly anticipated Xbox2 title?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
Wether or not you believe that this CG trailer wont differ much visually from the in game content as claimed is one thing, but theres some awesome imagery in it nonetheless:

[url="mms://streamingmovies.ign.com/xbox/article/570/570554/WarDevil_large_480_wmvlow.wmv"]mms://streamingmovies.ign.com/xbox/article/570/570554/WarDevil_large_480_wmvlow.wmv[/url]

http://www.wardevil.com/

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Daz thats pretty cool. I particularily like (what I think) was the main character. The guy with the green glowling eyes - pretty awesome. Good quality in that video aswell.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I love the concept art. Well, some of them. Game doesnt look that extraorinary gameplay wise though.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No, it doesn't really does it? Ah well, I was a bit drunk last night when I got in.

I really liked the look of that Chun army character.

Here's the IGN article:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/570/570703p1.html
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice cinematic, though, that tells me nothing about the game.

The environment shots look nice on the site. There's something I don't like about the human faces. I think their eyes are too close together or something...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    the visuals look like a high quality but generic wankfest, to be honest. the cg assets are impeccable, and that footage was remarkably well produced... but the design is not making me want to write home. true, i am at home now, but that's beside the point smile.gif
    i guess the standards for good visual design are so high that the concept art and assets, though technically very accomplished, just aren't having any impact on me at all. maybe it's that that sort of drawing/rendering style is reaching total saturation, or maybe it's something else. but to me the game (as of yet) has no visual identity distinguishing it from prequel star wars design or other copycat style of design. not that i'm blaming the artists who are obviously working very hard on the game, i'd put the blame elsewhere....

....notice in the environmental art section, the statue concept label: "Concept Art: The Last Hero of Freedom". is this the chronicles of riddick school of character naming? and despite all the soaring visuals of the teaser, i could see no discernable main character or got anything other than a pretty faintly generic science fiction invasion plot with what look like stroggish villains. is that all we've got left up our sleeves? generic epic sci fi?

one of these days we're going to run out of synonyms for 'galactic empire' and 'rebel alliance', and hopefully we'll discover some more interesting plots at about the same time. which is to say, just about any other plots. barf.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Heh well put Gauss. I am so easily impressed when I've had a few drinks smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ahh so that's your secret, eh? i'll be sure to visit the wardevil site later tonight in that case smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    one of these days we're going to run out of synonyms for 'galactic empire' and 'rebel alliance', and hopefully we'll discover some more interesting plots at about the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean synonyms for "good guys" and "bad guys", if your looking for something other than good vs evil plots for games your going to have to wait for falling love games. We dont understand anything other than the fight between good and evil and love. Every story is based off those two basic plots.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    nah, that's not exactly what i meant, GZ, though it would be cool to see more games develop along less explicitly conflict-oriented.

what i meant was that i'm tired of evil empire versus scrappy underdogs, not really 'good vs. evil'. the rest of my creative life will operate under that generous umbrella, and i would venture to guess the same is true for everyone else here. smile.gif
    and it's not that i object even to the evil empire vs. scrappy underdogs setup even, it's just that it needs to be done smartly and packaged in such a fashion as to make it fresh. hell, even HL2, the best and most engaging game i've played in a while, repackages a roughly star warsian style plot, even down to the messianic central character. in epic science fiction, it's hard to avoid that setup. Star Wars. The Matrix. Dune. you name it.
    what makes HL2 remarkable is, for one, the conviction and authenticity with which this setup is realized, and two, the clever wrinkles that have been introduced. gordon is the super badass one man army, but he's a hero in cold storage, completely at the mercy of G-man's control. the Combine is a galactic collective that subsumes other races into it's fold, which draws parallels to WH40k's Tyranids, SS2's the Many, ST's Borg, etc. etc. and the Resistance is still pretty straight up scrappy human resistance fighters, which is one of the oldest in the book... but that those sides are convincingly and imaginatively drawn; that it all takes place in an immaculately well designed and realized eastern european city (an uncommon setting) with orwellian overtones better than most games/movies that reference that book would deign to are what sets it apart. HL2 is a more thoroughly and beautifully designed game, visually speaking, than many large budget film productions.

anyway, before this turns into gauss raving about HL2 too much again (too late!), it's not that i really object to using the same old plots. there really are very few plots at all when you get down to the core of it. it's just that when i look at a teaser like wardevil's i find no suggestion of an original iteration. just some warmed up paste of recycled video game standbys and cliches, given a glossy sheen with good art production.

i'd love to eat my words, though. if the vagueness of the teaser's scripting is no indication of the writing, and that absurdly goofy statues named 'last hero of freedom' are not representative of the final product then i'd love to see it and play it. but for all the world it looks like the video game equivalent of a jerry bruckheimer movie.

yeah, i know, i came out with the harshest insult i could think of laugh.gif

uh.. anyway.. end rant i guess
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Those cyborgs remind me Quake2 and the green eyed guy look remarkably similar to the bad guy from SW:KotOR. But then again maybe im makeing things up :P
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    the most hotly anticipated Xbox2 title?

Considering the number of known games for the system that comes to no surprise...

Gauss: Whoa, there, next time use a spoiler warning!