Home Technical Talk

Max 7 normal map viewport issues...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, I just got done making some normal maps and a weird thing is happening, They show up invisible! or rather they dont show up at all. when I render I can see the normal map, and it is being displayed correctly in the materials editor, but for some reason the viewport does not want to display it. has anyone else had this problem? What should I do?

Replies

• S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - Do you have direct x in use (as max viewport renderer)?
    - i think it does only work with Direct X, not with OGL...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have a Skylight in the scene? If so, delete it - it will stop the normalmaps showing up.
    If not... hmm, check you have the latest version of DirectX installed, make sure your viewport renderer is set to DirectX9, and make sure you have enabled the DX Display of Standard Material, with your normal map in the "normal" slot of the Normal Bump map.

If none of the above... wait for someone else to answer with more knowledge than me!

MoP
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Ive been fiddling with it, and it only turns invisible when i check the box of the DX Display. When I uncheck it it becomes visible but no normal map. What does this mean? and where can I get the latest version of direct X ?

I just looked at my preferences/viewports and I have Directx 9 set for my current prefrence, but it's still not working.

It doesnt make sense that I can render my model and the normal map showes up, and in the material editor the normal map shows up on the material orb, but the veiwport wont do it. Im SO FRUSTRATED!!