Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nothing special... just need some useful crits! =)

jehuty
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jehuty polycounter lvl 18
hello,

this is my first post ever in this part of the polycount forum.
as much as i read the other posts, i know that the texture is aslo very importent... but i've made this post just for you to look at the proportions and the modeling... plz give me some useful crits.

appriciate that. thx.

soldier1.jpg
soldier2.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man, good start on this model. Few things I've noticed right off the bat: The front shot of his, the part of his pants that meets the boots, on the inside of his legs, are really sharp. That area doesn't go with the roundness of the rest of the pant area.

If you look at the side shot, at the back of his legs (near his caves (sp??), it has a weird shape to it.. almost asthough his legs are that of a horse. (Looks asthough he has an extra joint). You have designed his pants to "puff up" where the pants touch the boot but that look isn't consistant all the way around. Make sure you keep it consistant and I'm sure that issue will be fixed right up.

Also, from what I can tell, there's a couple of wasted poly's in the crotch area. I'm @ work as I write this so I can't draw overtop of your images to illustrate what I'm talking about, but I hope it helps.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    your arms are a little to long aswell
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah, good point Voodoo. jehuty, if you stand up and let your arms rest naturally you'll notice that your hands will be touching your thighs at about mid-way. Your character looks like he'd be able to touch his knees without having to bend. Another good point of reference is that the elbow should be in line with the bellybutton.

Hope these little tips help.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Face is too flat, and the knees seem to be a bit too high, exspecially with those knee protectors spec ops usually wear (they normally hang down a bit).
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You have a lot of sqaure polies on the model - so many edgtes are meeting at right angles, so are not defining as much of the model as they could be. Try pulling some of those verts around a little.

Example? The loop or edges around the stomach area - you could try to pull that shape into something that more closely resemebled the bottom of a ribcage.

On the arms, the cross sections could be angled a little just to give more definition without adding polygons.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok... right on. thanks to all of you. i will work everything out and present the reworked model again...
    it's really cool that you guys help me...

@JKMakowka: face is flat because i want him to wear these masks, you know the skimask like things... smile.gif or do you think it's even to flat for that?
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here i am again with the reworked model... check it out! smile.gif crits are still welcome of course...

new_soldier_s.jpg

click here for bigger version 1800x1000

new_soldier_p.jpg
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no one anything to say? frown.gif