Home General Discussion

The Holidays and you. So what's going down?

Slayerjerman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
Just curious to see what ppl's plans are for the cursed holiday season.

Me: GPG is closing its doors in Kirkland on 12/24 to MOVE to a bigger building in Redmond (going from like 9000sqf to 27,000sqf) So when I come back to work on Jan3rd we'll have shiny new offices. -w00t-

Other than that, wife's gotta work close to xmas day so that rules out our plans for travel. Stayin' home and just gonna be the 2 of us again this year.

Your plans?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Spending it with my father and his family in Toronto, then going on to Keswick (where I grew / where all my friends are) until after the new year.
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Can't count on the boyfriend to plan anything, so I have to plan with my mom, his mom, and his stepmom as to how Christmas will go. It should get interesting. If anyone lived farther than a three hour drive we'd be screwed.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna go to germany for 6 days and spend some time with my friends smile.gif
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Going to Vancouver island for 2 weeks to visit the fam. Feels like 3d rehab when im there. Lots of chillin and movie watching.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I'm taking three weeks off work! An entire year's worth of vacation, almost the entire month of December, in one mighty, soul-replenishing chunk. If I haven't accomplished anything at the end of my vacation, I'll have only myself to blame. Not that sitting on my ass for three weeks sounds like a bad thing. In fact, I may strive for it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    University term finishes around the 20th, then I go home to spend Christmas and New Year with the family and friends, then on the 6th of January I jet off to San Francisco for a week to attend the Massive Black/ConceptArt.org workshop! Then straight back to Uni with large amounts of jet lag...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Starting on Dec. 23rd, I'm driving to Cincinnati, Ohio (13 hours) for a vacation with my girlfriend's family. Plans are made to visit local attractions including the Zoo, and several art museums and galleries. I'm taking my sketchbook and several pens and pencils. Hope to practise some sketching and character concepts for designing when I return on Jan 3rd. That's right. I'll be away from Polycount for two weeks. Happy F***ing Holiday!
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    Harl and I are going to MN the 22nd-26th to see my famblytronic and some friends of ours. Was going to come home the 27th, but then decided we needed to celebrate boxing day properly with turkey pie and lots of yorkshire pud, mashed potatos, and bisto.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    aaaah, bisto...

heh

as usual the family will be here at chez sundance and that's it...personally i plan to watch the LOTR trilogy extended edition...oh, and frag nazis on CoD: deluxe ed which i'm getting...
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Starting on Dec. 23rd, I'm driving to Cincinnati, Ohio (13 hours)

[/ QUOTE ]

Coincidentally, I'll be leaving Cincinnati, Ohio on the 23rd. Obviously, there's a very precise Polycounter balance that must be maintained here in the city laugh.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'm off on the 15th to go back to the cold north to spend time with my girlfriend. Get to be back home in the cold for almost a month. So no 3d work from me for almost a month i dont know how i'll stay sane...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Im doing the thing I hate most on this earth: sitting in a metal tube full of combustible fuel travelling at 200mph at 35,000 ft up for about 11 hours. I absolutely hate it. Always have. Still, looking forward to seeing the family in the UK. Lots of new babies to meet. The first thing I usually do is have a proper bacon sandwich.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Got class until the 16th, then doing an internship over in Seattle, meanwhile gonna get a little senior project work done on my portifolio pieces, and perhaps get MGS3 for myself as a present. Oh...and some time spent with family ;D
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Me and Aileen are off to my sisters. My nephew is 3 and its his first Xmas where he understands Santa. We shall spoil him. As usual.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm .. lets see. Fist the future wife is visiting from Kuwait for the holidays smile.gif We're going to visit her family here and have lots of fun with the kids. Many cool presents for them this year. Transformers, GI-joes, video games and hopefully a special Dungeon Keeper figure if I can find one. Also going to be spending my time off learning how to use my wacom(tablet newbie) and drinking some nice dark roast coffee.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Don't hve time off for x-mas this year and it's also in the weekend frown.gif
    But I expect the usual festivities which I can pretty much sum up as eating and drinking until my pants don't fit.

We in the Netherlands don't do the presents thing for x-mas because we celebrate Sinterklaas (Saint Nicolas) on December 5th.
    He's a bit like Santa Claus (old dude, white beard, red suit) but instead of dwarves he has a ton of black slaves who carry the presents and he rides a horse instead. My oldest is 3 so he is starting to understand what it is about which is a lot of fun.

sinterklaas.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    We in the Netherlands don't do the presents thing for x-mas because we celebrate Sinterklaas (Saint Nicolas) on December 5th.
    He's a bit like Santa Claus (old dude, white beard, red suit) but instead of dwarves he has a ton of black slaves who carry the presents and he rides a horse instead. My oldest is 3 so he is starting to understand what it is about which is a lot of fun.

sinterklaas.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy hell! I actually looked this up because I assumed you must have been kidding. If anyone's Santa spectacle in America tried to include a black underling, there would be *riots*. Talk about politically incorrect. It's a really striking difference, especially as Americans obviously adopted the name of our jolly fat man (Santa Claus) from the Dutch, but the other details are quite different.

That image is actually flipping me out; I can just imagine if I showed that image to anyone here in the city...
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    planning on going to pheonix to visit my college roommate, but he fucked up and decided to get married and is moving the exact week i was planning to go so now i am probably going to be going out there and trying to find something to do by myself.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    hehe smile.gif
    All true!
    Belgium also celebrates Saint Nicolas instead of Santa Claus. He is actually a catyholic saint from Turkey but somewhere along the story for the kids is that he comes from Spain every year in November by boat with his horse and slaves. He has a big book that has all the kids in it and if you are bad then the black slaves put you in a big bag and take you back to Spain. Scary shit when you are a young lad.
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    planning on going to pheonix to visit my college roommate, but he fucked up and decided to get married and is moving the exact week i was planning to go so now i am probably going to be going out there and trying to find something to do by myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY SHIT.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    he comes from Spain every year in November by boat with his horse and slaves. He has a big book that has all the kids in it and if you are bad then the black slaves put you in a big bag and take you back to Spain.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY SHIT! ooo.gif (same goes for the Sinterklaas image too)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    3D guy, if i wasnt going home durring that time id say you should come visit me. But like your friend, i'm out of this state for the month.

As for stinterklaas, i dont like your santa he freeks me out.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    yup, Matt went to vegas and got hitched. he is now the father of 2. Package deal if you will... i talked to her once when he first started dating her. Navy girl. Plans on moving to Europe in a couple years. so probably after this visit i may very well never get to talk to him again.
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My god. My heart literally just stopped. Sure never will have the good old days again...
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    "The Holidays and you. So what's going down? "

my self esteem and level of happiness. i get so depressed in the holidays, especially because i havent been in a relationship in like 3 years, and then it was a stupid stupid thing which i didnt like very much at all.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe Santa will bring you what you've always wanted, Mishra.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe Santa will bring you what you've always wanted, Mishra.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that would be illegal. frown.gif
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think that would be illegal. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially since Santa will be transporting it across state lines. And if it dies on the way, Santa could be charged with negligence!