4 armed monster texture wip

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
airdonew.jpg
Whole Body

Ok, I've gone and mapped him.
Map
There's quite a few unused areas, which I don't like, but aside from making some small part ridiculously huge, I'm not sure how else I can arrage everything to fill them. The wing is kind of an odd shape that takes up a lot of space. I tried using the uvHelp, but that just made things worse, couldn't get that thing to undistort anything. So I did as best I could by hand. Any suggestions on how I can make it better?

If anyone else feels like taking a shot at texturing this guy I'll post up an SDK.

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    oooh another one to add my to mustdo SDK collection,along with DP's elfy thingy....post away soccerman smile.gif

john
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'd put the wings on a seperate map, they're taking up a huge chunk of space that would be better spent on stitching bits together so there's fewer pieces, rather than lots of smaller pieces scattered round them
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've fixed up the maps a bit more, got a lot of distortion out. I've also put the wings and teeth on a second map, which freed up space and this way only one extra texture is needed for transparencies. I tried to keep the pieces as large as I could without getting too much distortion, and most of the little pieces are spikes of some sort so hopefully there wouldn't be any noticable seams with those.
    Updated maps:
    Body
    Wings

Here's an SDK for those interested, [SDK updated below].
    Somehow 4 polys disappeared today when I was working on the maps. I don't know where they went. I'm guessing I deleted 2 polys, which became 4 when I mirrored it. So if anyone finds them, well where they were anyway, let me know so I can stick them back in.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    The UVs look much cleaner. But you should try and stitch as many pieces as you can together.
    I know you've probably split them apart for the sake of having no distortion across the UVs.

But I think it's easier to texture models when you have less seams... even if you're increasing the amount of distortion on the maps. Distortion is much easier to hide than seams... depending on the situation, of course.

If you wanted to be really clever, you could probably stitch together the entire torso, upper arms and legs together into 1 huge chunk. You can probably even get parts of the neck on there, too.
    It's a tough call, though, 'cause naked models are the most difficult to unwrap.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to stitch together as much as I could. Got the torso, legs, and the beginning of the wing together, and parts of the wings together, and the hand is mostly one piece. I had the feet as one piece, but that was really ugly looking, they just weren't happy together. I just tried seeing if I could attach the arms to the body, but that would require taking off the back causing a seam going down the side, and if I connect the back to the arms I don't think it'd fit on the sheet, I'd have to scale it all down to get it to fit. So it'd be possible, but I think with them disconnected I could have them use more texture space and have less distortion. So it's a tough call, fewer seams and possibly easier to texture, or less distortion and more texture space. Which would everyone prefer?

So here's the current maps:
    Body
    Wings