Home General Discussion

fancasting half life 2

Mojo2k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
ok, since gauss kicked all you lame nerdy fancasting out of his thread i decided to start a lmae nerdy fancast thread now, fan cast 3 or more characters from HL2!

gary_oldman1.jpg
Gordon Freeman, played by Gary Oldman, it takes more than slapping on a goatee and a pair of glasses to be the right man for the part, but mr. oldman has proven time and time again that he is the right man for any part, he is in my opinion the best actor living today, most other actors when playing a character are pretty much just them selves pretending to be that character. Oldman makes every character he plays into a person of its own. and with as little life as the games give Gordon, imagine what he could do with that kind of freedom!

christopher_lloyd.jpg

Christopher lloyd as the G-Man, I know he has done few serious parts, but he is still an entertaing actor and i believe he could pull off the strange almost robotic personality of the G-man while adding a bit of his charm.

cb_bob3.jpg

well this is a no brainer, if you argue against it you are DUMB Robert Guillaume as Eli Vance, i mean good actor, and also did the voice for vance in the game.. i mean.. like "duh" well thats all for my fan casting,

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    alba1024.jpg

Jessica alba as alyx
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I was gonna say that!!!
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    cwalken.jpg
    0.jpg
    g-man all the way
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Haha - yeah, I think sonic has nailed the G-man casting!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Jessica is way too young and wrong ethnicity for Alex. Halle Berry all the way.

For Gordon.. Hell I thought this movie was Half Life under a different name (you know how sometimes Hollywood changes titles in their infinite wisdom)..

Look at Johnny Depp in The Ninth Gate

springfling_johnnydepp.jpg
  • Redlemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redlemons polycounter lvl 18
    To get the bleeding obvious out of the way, I go for Edward Norton as Gordon:
    _38814009_ed_norton_25th_150.jpg

*~*What a dreamboat*~*

Then I think David Bowie as the G-Man:

img_big_bowie.jpg
    dbjs.gif

Donald Sutherland as Dr Breen:
    donald-sutherland03.jpg

And this Robert Guillaume guy, he'll do.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I was going to suggest Sutherland also, he'd be perfect. David Bowie looks the part, but I'm not sure how well he'd do. I think I'd definitely prefer Walken to Bowie for the part of Gman. I think Mojo picked the perfect Freeman. Gary Oldman is a great actor that is underappreciated and underused. He's the spitting image of Gordon Freeman in that picture, and hell, his name even sounds similar. Norton could fit the part, but I don't see him in what would most likely be an action role. As much as I love Depp (in a strictly plutonic way), I think he would make a terrible Freeman. He's just too suave, and doesn't really look much like Gordon.

[edit] oh yeah, and to make my own contribution to the thread, I'd suggest Bruce Campbell as Barney. I know he may not look or sound much like the character, but Barney is a goofy/funny/quirky character, and who better to play such a part than the great Bruce Campbell?

mptv1.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Ben Affleck as Gordon Freeman:
    binaffleck.jpg

Leoncardo Di Caprio as The G-man:
    lDiCaprio_straight3.jpg

DMX as the token black scientist guy:
    dmx-pose.jpg
    (you'll need to picture him with Hollywood make-up)
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    redlemons: that is a bold choice for the g-man my friend, but i support it all the way. ziggy is an alien, after all. smile.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think for casting you should think of more than how much an actor looks like a character in a picture you find, for example walken has a verry distinc acting style, that i don't think would work for the g-man. i admit picking lloyd was a stretch on him, and if i was a real movie caster i would have to see him do a reading of the part,

tho sadly i bet astrozombie is the closest to what the casting would be like if they did make a movie.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Somebody in another thread had suggested Charlie Sheen as Gordon. That would be a good choice IMO.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Your choice for Gordon Freeman shouldn't be based on which actor you've seen in a goatee. Ed Norton still looks like he could be 29, but I'd go for someone younger + nerdier. Norton wouldn't be likely to do a game movie anyway.

Alyx == sexy multiethnic babe == Thandie Newton:

tnewton_150x.jpg

/jzero
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    OK so obvious Gordon:
    sheen_sm.jpg
    He'd play a good silent character and obviously has the looks down.

Alyx:
    tn.DC.112706.jpg
    Eva Longoria has the acting skills I think to fullfill the role of Alyx - and looks the part (IMO).

Dr. Breen:
    Bill.Murray.Lost.in.Translation.NYT.jpg
    He's getting old and has that spaced-out look I thought Breen had. Murray would make an awesome Dr. Breen.

Barney:
    main.jpg
    Christian Bale would be an awesome supporting actor as Barney.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I reckon Robert De Niro would make a good Gordon Freeman! Maybe a bit old, but he would rock! Although Charlie Sheen would be a good choice too.

3387.jpg

Kristin Kreuk as Alyx! All she needs is short hair really...

SM-KKreuk-T_2x3_240.jpg

David Bowie would be a good G-Man, I think, however I would love to see Steve Buscemi as the G-Man!

steve_buscemi.jpg

Agreed with Mojo on Robert Guillaume as Dr. Vance. I'd have Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Kleiner though.

MoP
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Kristen Kreuk is PERFECT for Alyx! Can't believe I didn't think of her.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    no way man - J-lo.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Kristin Kreuk as Alix Spot on.
    Robert Guillame as the Good Doctor. Spot on.
    Matt Frewer as Dr. K.
    My preference is towards Martin Sheen, because I think he could pull off the "reluctant action hero". I think Bowie as the G-Man is inspired, but I think there are a few Cadaverous actors,like many that used to guest as heavies on "The X-Files" that coud work.

Dr. Breen. (way out on a limb) Sean Connery?

For Barney, there is no other person than Jack Black!

Scott
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think for casting you should think of more than how much an actor looks like a character in a picture you find, for example walken has a verry distinc acting style, that i don't think would work for the g-man.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think he would fit? i think his distinct style would be perfect for the gman... and his expressions would make the cake
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys guys Sheen is too old, and this Kruek girl is too young.

Thandie Newton was a great choice.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I think Buscemi would make a better Barney. I have to agree with Mojo about Gary Oldman for Freeman, that guy is a the perfect character actor. David Bowie would make a really good G-man too, cause he can have the sinster look to him, and he seems like the right build aswell.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    guys guys Sheen is too old, and this Kruek girl is too young.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then how old is Alyx? I just assumed she was in her twenties. And Sheen isn't too old if the story would be in the same timeframe as HL2 (HL2 takes place more than a decade after HL1).
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm Charlie Sheen is 39 years old.
    Come'on he's on the downward spiral!
    He's older than dust!
    Washed up, a has been just ask Abbie Hoffman! He's older than 30 so he is to old to play this part, plus don't trust him!

I never got the impression that Gordon was some 19 year old fanboy.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    freeman.jpg

Accept no subsitutes.

And as for Dr. Breen...
    sean_connery.jpg

And finally, Eli Vance = Bill Cosby!
    full_cosby.jpg
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheen is not too old, he jsut can't freaking act, thats why he has not been given a movie role in a million years, he's down in sitcom land people!
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    ...and this distinguishes Charlie Sheen from the cast of, say, "Resident Evil: Apocalypse", in what way? laugh.gif

You know there's no guarantees that a Half-Life movie would be the first really well-done game movie.

/jzero
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well then how old is Alyx? I just assumed she was in her twenties. And Sheen isn't too old if the story would be in the same timeframe as HL2 (HL2 takes place more than a decade after HL1).

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it listed him as 25/26 in the original game? (Which I still thought was a little young for a grad degree in physics). 29 would sound better.

Ok so if HL2 takes place a decade later (i don't ever remember that being mentioned in the game?) that means Gordon would be at least 35. Unless he was in limbo during that time and didnt age via the gman. Ok, well then why didnt anyone at least mention once "My Gordon it looks like you haven't aged a day!". So That means Alex would have to be at least 25 to not put audiences off.

Besides Alyx had a do it herself/can do persona. This Kristin Kreuk has those big innocent teen like eyes. It just wouldn't be believable versus Thandie Newton (at least as far as looking badass/HOT versus "cute"). Yea thats right Im calling Kreuk "cute". Alyx isn't cute, shes hot.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Unless he was in limbo during that time and didnt age via the gman.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think thats exactly what is implied...

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, well then why didnt anyone at least mention once "My Gordon it looks like you haven't aged a day!".

[/ QUOTE ]

They did....at least twice that I recall.
    Both Eli Vance and Dr. Kliener mention how Dr. Freeman hasn't changed a bit.
    "Why Gordon, you havent changed a bit, how do you do it!?" -Eli Vance

And if you look at the picture of the Vance Family in Eli's lab, Alyx looks like a baby/toddler there...yet in game she seems at LEAST 19-20....so I'd say its been a minimum of 15 years since Black Mesa.

Personally? Im up for Gary Oldman as Freeman. He'd be great...Morgan Freeman as Eli Vance.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my.. me thinks I need to play again.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, Kristin Kreuk is hot!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oxy: Kristen has those "cute eyes" much like Alyx does. The thing I remember the most of the Alyx character are the way her eyes are.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... my previous "Charlie Sheen to old post" may have seemed a little "assholish"
    sorry about that, but a six pack and "too old" comments sometimes rub me the wrong way wink.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Dr. Breen = Dennis Hopper
    it's almost like they based Breen on Hopper. When my brother first saw him on the screen he asked "Is that Dennis Hopper?"
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    A good studio with Valve watching over..... Need to make a Half-life movie. And the way the games are.... they could always make it a trilogy or somthing I'm sure.

A little bit of Evolution / X-files / aliens. Lots of nerdy science humor! Gordon doesnt talk at all. smile.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Rosario Dawson for ALyx1049125567rosario-dawson20.jpg
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know, I see Half Life as more of a Sci-fi weekly series than a movie. I think there's more than enough story there to keep it going for years.
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    I think the XSI renders of freeman look like Tom Green.......

Christopher Lloyd would definately make a good G-Man

I say Judd Nelson as Barney
    and anthony hopkins would be a great random scientist.