Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rapper Realtime Character

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
- Something i was going to do for a company here in Finland, but then they didn't need it.
- Thought i would show it anyway... as no-one paid for this...

- I kinda left him a bit unfinished a month ago, it was only going to be for pre-viz or similar stuff - Concept didn't have anything except generic clothing and no face or any other details, so i had to do colors, details and head.

- Semi-realistic style, medium resolution realtime mesh
- Head was more important than body, it has more detail ( 1600tris)
- Details and gear are 400tris total, and body is 3500tris

- Images are 3dsmax renders, two spots and shadow maps.

20041129_rap_01_thumb.jpg
20041129_rap_02_thumb.jpg
20041129_rap_03_thumb.jpg
20041129_rap_04_thumb.jpg

CnC welcome!

Replies

• Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. But I think some parts bulge out and makes him look fat. Like his calf, forearm, and his fingers. From the side view, on the lower leg in the front, it kinda points out a bit. But I think it looks awsome. Good job.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very solid work. Overall looks very nice, good mesh and textures it seems.
    His hands look way too big and fat to me though. Possibly his arms are a bit thick too, like Enix says.
  • Surgey
    Offline / Send Message
    Surgey polycounter lvl 18
    Is that Method Man? God I shouldn't know that. I played too much Def Jam 2.

Nice, anyways. Like the colors.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, but I think the gold chain doesnt glitter enough and the hat isnt big enough. Legs look kinda plain how about a tattoo?
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Silva_Spoon:
    -Yep, it might be better if chain was thicker but then the round part should be bigger... (whatever it is called)i tested that, and then made it smaller...
    - More glitter would be nice, but then it could be better done with env map...

Surgey:
    - Nope, he is just "generic rapper" smile.gif BTW, defjam2 characters are very well done IMO

Enix, MoP:
    -i kinda wanted his arms to be bit bulgy and not too realistic... but then again, maybe it doesn't work well enough smile.gif
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    The thinkness works well unless your
    looking for a character to be anatomically
    correct, which alot of character models aren't
    or shouldn't be. This would work well in a
    Def Jam game, because the style of your character
    seems to fit in with those. [big and umm...buff]
    Also could fit in with an NFL street character.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Nice man. I like the chunky style. The skin tone is a bit weird. Its a bit oversaturated and lacking in variation. Very clean work tho' man.
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome so far, only critique is that he looks like a broke rapper, his chain can use more bling, and also mroe jewlery could help like watch and earings, and if you want to go the extra mile add a gold tooth or two smile.gif
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Daz:
    - About skin color and variation ...dark skin tones (and other tones too...) something i have to learn to do right frown.gif - same as blond hair... hard to make look real... have to practice more... frown.gif
    - Especially portrait image skin looks somewhat saturated...
    - i used a lot more time into texturing than into modeling, and yet it's weaker than modeling IMO smile.gif

mr.toast:
    - yep wink.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great man. Very nice. I think the face is more successful than the arms. They seem a bit yellow atm. Like everyone else has said, very clean work.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Daz:
    - About skin color and variation ...dark skin tones (and other tones too...) something i have to learn to do right frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey well, just take a look at some pics. Theres all sorts of stuff going on in < all shades of > human skin that you could incorporate. That's If you wanted a more realistic look that is. Consider pores, moles, freckles, sun damage, wrinkles, discolouration under eyes, more red at the more translucent bits. All sorts of stuff.

http://fineart.sk/wallpapers/complete020.JPG
  • TheWaq
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWaq polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good, arms are having problems, the lower outline of the eyes looks kinna weird to me, maybe its just me...

The Lips lack details. Try adding details to it.I think they are supposed to be much darker, The ears too look weird.

Thanks
  • TheWaq
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWaq polycounter lvl 18
    and yeah, the skin requires work. Look at the reference daz provided.