Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- Goblin Bust in Sculpy

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
I was bored and broke out the sculpy tonight.
He stands about 7.5 inches tall, and I plan on finishing him up with texture & whatnot as tme goes by.

This is my first real sculpture...ever I think.
goblin_preview.jpg

Thanks for looking. Please post your comments/critiques

Replies

• oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I likes as a fellow sculptor smile.gif.

How many hours thus far?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thats amazing, id love to paint that (i paint miniatures and busts)... maybe you could try giving him some teeth?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    goblin_preview01.jpg

Im not sure what Im doing there with the top/back of the head.
    I may just sculpt some wild hair. Not happy with what I've got there.
    I'll add some teeth in the next couple days...
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    lookin really good scoobs!
    i like the details on the neck and the ears look fantastic.
    are you going to paint it?
    lighting makes it look cool too
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    excellent work man, this looks great.
    i actually just bought some Super Sculpey on the weekend, from the only shop in the UK that I can find it at... also the only shop I know that sells Pantone Tria markers smile.gif
    My character bust only about 3" tall though, so I won't be able to get it that detailed...
    keep it up, looks great right now, should look awesome with some nice teeth and hair!
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of kain from Soul Reaver Series
  • NuclearTes
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    I hope I'm not spoiling you by boosting your ego too much wink.gif, but I really like your sculpture. It's very expressive. tongue.gif
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    always fun to see ur stuff scoob!

i cant quite put my finger on it but it really has ur style in it
    maybe the shape of the mouth... i dunno

anways looking forward to seeing it done!

he seems to have a slight tilt in his head, which gives a little feeling of him mocking at u.. with a little smile on the side of the mouth.. know what i mean?

its not really entirely there but maybe ud like to define such expression..
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool man. I would love to play with this sculpy stuff sometime.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    I just colorized one of my photographs in PS just as an example of how I plan to paint this guy up.
    Again, Thanks for looking!
    goblin_color.jpg
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    hahaha Pubes that looks awesome! How much is Sculpy? Where do I get it? How are you working (adding or subtracting? Or both?) What tools? I MUST KNOW! hahaha

Damn dude, that last posted picture is awesome - wth didnt you tell me you were working on this? Our kinship is broke. BROKEN!
  • Silva_Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Great work so far man. Is the sculpture hollow or solid sculpty?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    Brome: I only spent 1 night on it... geez! Clingy biyotch!

Silva: Its built upon an armature I made of tin-foil & Twisted wire.

You start by making a skeleton of the major forms in wire, then flesh it out with Aluminun foil (to save sculpy, and because when baked thicker sculpy will crack worse).
    Once youve got your foil & wire base done, you add strips off sculpy to being the "additive" portion. I built him up thick and messy, as seen in the first photo, using only my fingers. After that I start to subtract using a variety of sculpting tools, but mostly just the wire loop to shave off a little sculpy at a time.
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    i'd suggest adding a little volume to the back of the head, the brain pan doesnt look fully realized in those pics, but you've already detailed it out, so i dunno if its worth the effort. cool tho.
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    for those interested in getting some sculpey... make sure you get "super sculpey" the regular stuff is a little crafty and its not as nice to work with. any decent art store should have it or be able to order it. i've also seen it at teacher supply stores [if you don't know what that is, dont sweat it]

here's a good place to order it from online:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/17/super-sculpey.asp?param=0&ig_id=2019
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for that link r13 - I got a 1lb block of Super Sculpey for £8.50 at the only shop I know that sells it in North-East England... at the current exchange rate it's about £4.00 on that online store! Crazy!
  • Silva_Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    The twisted wires you speak of, are they like clothes hanger wires? Where can I get them?
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    you are using Nural 34 ? for make the sculpy?,i don't like the mouth,the other parts are cool wink.gif.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Timex: He's using Super Sculpey, the name of the type of modelling compound used for baking in the oven once sculpting finishes.
    Nural 34 is a 2-part putty that hardens when it dries after about 3 hours... Super Sculpey never hardens until you bake it for 15-30 minutes in the oven. More versatile that way, I think!
  • Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Nice sculpt, hope you go all the way with it smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    The twisted wires you speak of, are they like clothes hanger wires? Where can I get them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any wire will do aslong as its strong enough to support the mesh, dont take anything too strong tho cause you cant bend it :P And i suppose you can get wire from hardware store.
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    ahh cool i start one but i am using "duro" putty and is more dificult to work with it.
    This is the new sculpt with duro.
    scultp_01.jpg
  • robioto
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't buy Super sculpey, I'd buy Premo Sculpey it's more like clay. There are places online that sell it in different colors for $10/pound. I reccomend gray.
  • robioto
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.clayfactoryinc.com/ here's a place you can get it at the price I mentioned, you'll unfortunately also have to pay shipping.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Pubes how much $$$ is in that goblin? At roughly $10/pound and having it be over 7.5" seems like a lot. I know its on an exoskeleton but I'd imagine there's still a great worth of sculpy on that goblin.
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hey MoP which Uk store was that in,I am also from the UK and would be curious to know?

Nice work scoob,nice work thus far,looking forward to the final,btw did u model the eyes seperatily and place them in the sockets or how did ya do that?

Also does the same rules apply for this stuff as clay?..e.g must have air pockets and do you know how much u can get away with before it exsplodes in the oven?...thickness wise,I once had a nasty exspereince with a ball of clay that didn't have a big enough air pocket, a kiln and other peoples work......damn I was popular.

john
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Scoob: Hope you don't mind the minor de-railage, it's fairly relevant and (I hope) helpful!

Bronco: The place I got my Sculpey from was the Newcastle Arts Centre, in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.
    I've looked but can't find a place to buy it online in the UK. Doubtless there are other art shops which sell the stuff (probably one in any large city in the UK, but good art shops are surprisingly hard to find!), but I haven't found any other source yet. The art shops here in Dundee only stock Fimo and fairly poor-quality air-drying clay.

I don't know anything about air pockets - my sculpture (which I have now baked and it's rock solid!) was built over crumpled-up aluminium foil, then about 5-10mm thickness of Sculpey overlaid on that, thicker in some areas than others. I baked it for about 40 minutes at 135'C and 5 minutes after I took it out of the oven it had cooled down and was totally solid. So, yeah, nothing exploded and I may have had a very few tiny air pockets I think...

I also recommend sculpting and baking the eyes separately (or use ball bearings or something!) and then putting them in the sockets, since that way you get the "proper" anatomy of how the skin builds up around the eyeball.

MoP