Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hey, catch me later and i'll buy you a beer.

CheapAlert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
barn1.jpg
barn3.jpg

The chin they be densy.

Mouth is wide too.

BUT HEY ITS MY FIRST FRICKING HUMAN FACE >::::::::::::;

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Humans can be gargoyles?!?!?!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that was a bit harsh there man...

looks ok, the chin is a bit too round, not enough definition. it seems like there are a lot of wastef polies, as there arent enough vertecies defining things...
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Mark this down as a historical event.

Glad to see you're opening your horizon's Cheap. The chin is a little large and long - and the nose is hella fat. It's definitly a human though, keep at is CA.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    wheres my beer!

its a good start, are you working from any reference?
  • CheapAlert
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, i'm working from a front and side shot of Barney's head from HL - apparently, his ear is tucked in his helmet, so i'll have to skip that for now. Not a bad start for a first human head though. I only spent 2 mins on the chin/jaw so yeah, it's quite out of definition.

Today's the day Irritant deviated from the typical martian too , what a coincidence :P

I will do the scientist heads after I finish Barney's head, then i'll do their bodies.

And yes, I plan to get them in HL (probably start a mod, "Uber definition pack", or maybe even for HL:Source). What I didn't like about the "High" and "Super" definition packs is that the Barney's and Sci's totally deviate too much from their original appearance, i.e. Barney looked more like Kevin Spacey and the Nerd scientist looked more like Paul Schaefer, so i'm trying to be a little more faithful in my models smile.gif
  • Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Today's the day Irritant deviated from the typical martian too , what a coincidence :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was thinking the same thing too...weird coincidence smile.gif

But hey, I did make a bunch of weapon models and a space marine guy over the summer too!

Keep it coming on the human head. I find them trickier than I thought, though I was going for something much lower poly than you are.
  • mr.toast
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    nice job so far, ive been wanting to make updated replacements for the dissapointing half life source, but what the community wants the most is a hl2 gordon model for multiplayer, i need to get to work on that
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a nice start. I could never get my head around that edge extrusion modelling method.

As a crit, I would say that currently (although this is based on my preferred method) you have too many polies in the scene. Not too many for the head, but too many there at this point with not enough definition.

its often easier to block out the shapes, then refine, then refine, then refine, than trying to build them as finsihed polygons from the start.

But thats ONLY my advice smile.gif
  • AfroLeft
    Offline / Send Message
    AfroLeft polycounter lvl 18
    Got an update on this? I liked the way it was looking.
    I agree with Rick: even though the extruding is easy for me, whenever i use it for a face things just end up all out of proportion. I spend so long resizing everything its a waste of time. Its good for making arms and legs though.

But then again, it looks like you made a front and profile edge then filled in the gaps. So i all seems to be in proportion right now.

Do you have a reference to that barny guy everyone said he looked like (where his nickname came from)??
  • EarthQuake
    Great to see something other than a gargoyle man, keep it up.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    good to see you are reaching beyond your norms cheapy.
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I'm 'trying out' this edge building method myself, so it would be good to see how you've progressed. Even if you gave up in sheer frustration - that's valuable info. For my own part, I've spent hours and hours re-defining edge loops which had bad flow - I should have done more research before I started.

/agree with the non-gargoyle = hooray! comments.