new_male_head_lights.jpg

Default viewport lighting:
http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/new_male_head_dflt.jpg
I sorta like this look the best.

No lights:
http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/new_male_head_nolights.jpg

Wireframe:
http://www.polycount.com/cottages/souldesigns/new_male_head_wire.jpg

Lots of emphasis on edge loops and having the way the geo catches light reflect the lighting done on the texture. Also did some minor shader tweaks to match the texture a little better.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice. Ears are definitely a little high though.
    Cool edge loops too. Upper lip is a little "sharp" for my liking...
    Totally SouL style though!

MoP
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    soul, you have so many edge loops, yet at the angle you have a pointy cheek. The edge under it needs to come out some to smooth out that edge. You know this better than i do....

oh and 256 on 2400, pure evil......
  • Stringer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stringer polycounter lvl 18
    Hi, great work Soul! The ears a little high, and there is some other anatomical issues. Not that you need any help, you've always been an artist who's work I've admired, here's a small tutorial I wrote on head proportions, based on a female head, but I also make comments on a male head.

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2279
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Great face, but the ear is not only to high, but also needs to be moved back quite a bit.

That, and the 3/4 view needs work on the profile. Exspecially the forehead is way to strait in that view. But also the cheeks and the mouth look a bit strange.

Not sure about that black line right below the lower lip, can't quite put my finger on the exact error there, but something looks strange there, too.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Aside from the couple of anatomical flaws, your texture work and modeling is absolutely stunning... as usual.

could we see some texture flats? smile.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I agree about the ears. I defenitely over looked that.
    Here's a shot with the fixed ears and no hair.
    new_male_head_nohair.jpg

Makes things easier to read.

Most of the seams you see on the geo are from me not welding everything together. The ones on the face are hard edges.

The gaunt cheeks, big chin, slightly hooked nose and sloped forhead give him character! We all have it, why can't he? smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Gaunt or not, no cheeks are that pointy. You have the verts to play with so no reason not to give a few a pull and round out the point, while still keeping the gauntyness aspect of it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Soul, this is awesome. Looking at this model I can see where I've made mistakes on the face I did for the model of me. Will definitly be using this piece as a learning tool for next time.

Small C&C: I think his ears are a little too high.
  • Jamaludin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamaludin polycounter lvl 18
    Man soul this is sick ! love the meshflow its something I am learning as well it can serieously downgrade the usage of unnescesary poly's and stuff, and if you understand it good like you do the model looks way better. Could we perhaps see a sidevieuw of the wire perhaps, im always having trouble with the nose area ? Thanks allot in advance, great work man ! Very inspirational
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Inspirational and educational as always.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sideview still looks too short and the hairline and jaw is to steap and oddly shaped.

Here is an old picture of me (without beard confused.gif ) I took as a reference of a head model aproximatly 2 years ago:

http://www.xmail.net/jkm/sidehead.html
    (beware ugly pic, I am not that ugly normaly, it is just a very bad picture wink.gif )

Maybe I do have a long head, but at least aim for something inbetween.
    Exspecially look at the hairline above the ear... and no I am not losing hair, thats normal tongue.gif

[edit]: could someone please change the [image] code back to what is was originally, please?.
    My host doesn't allow for direct hotlinking, but if I name the file simply .j it works. But now the script only displays a picture if it is .jpg or something similar frown.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Love it mate. I'd agree with some of JK's points. The ear placement is a little off. It's too high up and too far forward in the head. ( it should be further back than the 'hinge' of the jaw )
    The forehead could slope back more in front ortho, its in danger of looking a bit feminine ( generally speaking men have more sloped foreheads and women straight up )
    I also think youve gone a little dark with the eyeball shadow, and that the hairline could be a little more shapely. Go back into the temples a little more perhaps.

But very cool nonetheless.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myfaceside.jpg

i think this proves somthing , even tho JK thinks his head is unusual , its actually almost text book,

the eyes are almost directly in the centre of the head and the nose is in line with the bottom of the ear, the eye brow is almost in line with the top of the ear.

people have diferent features but generaly there faces are the same ... only slight diferences.

JK its not a bad pic at all smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should see my real seaxineeessss tongue.gif *hust* *currently single* *hust*

But my point about the 'longness' of my head was about the longness from the front to the back, not bottom to top.
    (and to stay true to the first sentance of this post 'other longnesses' too laugh.gif )
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh yes , the old convex rather than concave thing , i think this is one of the major things that makes us look different .. maybe thats why passport photos always look the same lol smile.gif

still , theres so much character in souls model and texture its dificult to say if there is any glaring errors ... hats off to him , most of us strive to this level of work ...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    lovely work soul. you have developed a really careful touch with facial detail and hair, particularly. always looking forward to more smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    very good work Soul
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    soul, great work as always
    thats a sexy mother fucking johnny depp looking guy
    and we all love johny depp right wink.gif
    his wife especially... rrr

anyway
    when will we see u making a high poly, say, why, a preporsterous suggestion surely i know, but perhaps -- an ugly purple troll? with green worts?
    no? no green worts?

ah, no purple troll?

oh well, just a wish smile.gif
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing work, Soul; full'a character. What gets me though (appart from the sweet geometry) is how much the hair plays a part...seeing the two pic-series really shows how much of a difference hairstyle makes to a character. That's my little learning experience right there smile.gif
    All I can crit is the nose in the second series of shots...in the 3/4 view I notice he has a sharp ridge down the center of his nose which would maybe have looked better if there was a line of polies down there instead of an edge (or some wider polies, if that's the case smile.gif ).
    What also gets me is the crispness of the texture...at just (3x) 256, it just looks amazing.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Amazing model man. You're skin is gorgeous!

I actually prefered the model with his original ears. They give him a more human like feel.... imperfection. Now he looks more factory made insetad of naturally made.
    I also think his first ears made him look more like he fit in a medieval time period... and Aristocrat. Now he looks more modern day... its weird that ears would make me think that but they do.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, I don't know why I didn't expect to be wowed. Truely inspireing work.

Torque, While humans may have imperfections. Rarely are they proportional imperfection (Not counting cases of bad accidents rendering the proportions to be warped). Proportions are just something humans have, and they work out strangely too.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking really nice man. I think though, that there is some serious color lacking from this mans face. I noticed alot of your faces, and Daz's as well, end up almost entirely pale white. Certainly there are people with this skintone of course, but IMO they are kind of rare, and I would like to see a couple faces from you with healthier more vibrant skin. Also a bit more tonal variation within the face would rock. Looking great though man.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Is this the bit where Im meant to compare it to my work in some way?!

Looking very nice. I dont really see the serious lack of colour of which Poop speaks. But brighten the whites of his eyes a bit no?! Is he getting a body?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    soul, your texture work is awesome, as always. very nice work. smile.gif i wish i could scoop out your artistic brain and gobble it up.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    does he have bad teeth?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice Soul, let's see some flats. The detail in the eye area is fantastic. The neck seems to have a different overall color than the face does. I think maybe this goes along with Poop's comment.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    very good soul, but perhaps his eyes could pop a bit more. The highlight doesn't seem bright enough