Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Creature

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
demoncage polycounter lvl 18
duderender.jpg Almost done with this guy, C&C welcome.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The geometry itself looks great, but that skin could use some work. Whats the resolution on it? I asked because the area around his wrist bands is really blurry. Some suggestions might be to do something in terms of some armour. Also, some variation in his skin colours and tones would help out.

Can wee see some wire shots, a close up of the head, and the texture flats? Usually people can give better critiques with those. Good job man :P
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Adam thanks for the crits. The texture resolution is 1024x1024 for the body and 512x512 for the head. Your definitely right about variation in the skin tones. still not sure how im going to solve that. Here's some more shots. I'll get a shot up of the head shortly.

dudewire.jpgdudeback.jpgdudeupdate.jpg
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a couple headshots.
    dudehead.jpg
    dudehead01.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking cool man. I think you need to get some darker shadows in there in places. Especially in the mouth, and around the head and facial features. This is turning out to be a really nice model, I would just like to see some more depth in it.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crit poop. This is my first full character texture so its been tedious figuring out how to paint that fake lighting in. I'll do some experimentation with the darks and see where it goes. In the meantime here's the texture flat: dudetexture.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    poop said exactly what I wanted to say. The depth of the shadows on the head doesn't look to be the same as the remainder of the body.

Also, for variation that I spoke of you can try this:
    In Photoshop (assuming this is what you're using) create a new layer and pick a few colours to use: harsh red, harsh blue and a harsh green. Nice and bright variations of those 3 colours and start putting them in places you think could use some variation. Do it with a softbrush at 100% opacity and do this on its own layer. Once you've got the layout done the way you want change the layer to multiply or screen and change the opacity of the layer until the changes are subtle.

It might not seem like much but it'll help.

I did a quick run of what I'm talking about for you.
    This is what it looks like before I set the layer properties:
    texhelp_1.jpg

And this is what it looks like with the green layer set to lighten @ 17% and the red layer set to mutliplye at about 11%:
    texhelp_2.jpg

Hope this helps.
  • avalean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avalean polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know your tris limit but the hand looks like its been crushed flat
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the constructive crits. here's an update duderender01.jpg