Home General Discussion

Cameron to direct Gunm (battle angel Alita) movie

lkraan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
lkraan polycounter lvl 18
James Cameron's next film is confirmed by NPR over the weekend to be a movie based on Battle Angel Alita.
Exciting stuff! Finally a big budget film based on anime.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/041122b.php

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This COULD be a good thing, but I have a feeling Cameron is going to make this a bastardization of the manga. Not too mention it might be seen as cheese since its going to be done in 3D - which is generally kept for children movies, theme parks, or documentaries.

I should mention BA:A is the greatest thing I've ever read so I'm really skeptical on this. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Well...3d Alita needn't be a bad thing...look for the following file (on goole or wherever...maybe that rippersanime.com link?...I can't remember where /I/ got the file from):

[Anime] Battle Angel Alita - Motorball CG Movie [DVD-Rip] [Rippersanime.com].avi

The filename really tells it all, and whilst some of the editing is just a tadd off, it does show what a full CG Alita movie could look like: damn cool smile.gif

The main problem is how Cameron interprets/condenses the story; Hollywood has a way of distorting good stories and spewing out crap (I, Robot, anyone?).
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Read it again. Only Alita herself is going to be full CG. The rest is presumably live action. I can't see why they'd need to do this, given the character is completely human looking. All they'd need to do is get an asian girl and strap some metal-looking plates over her arms and they'd be done.

I shan't be holding my breath for this one not sucking horribly.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure that Cameron will bring along budget to make a CG Alita look believable. I am wondering what the story will be like and how and if it will still relate to the original story.