LOL more orcs!

orc.jpg

and a mini tutorial thingie:

orc_walkthrough.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    cool. i like the style, and it's very "orcy" ...
    his arms seem a little short though!
    i woulda given him a little more jaw below the lower lip too... and where's his axe!? smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking great man, my biggest crit is that the mouth looks far too sharp, he has no lips at all. It looks like someone cut through clay with a scalpel it has such a razor sharp edge.
  • frosty
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I think what gets me is the packaging, this cool guy has bandages, cloth, armour and horns and the way you attacked the hilights is lovely. Subtle lighting in the soft armour and horns and rough edges in the armour and he looks really pissed or he has cried foul over some injustice imposed on him by the Imperial Council.

I always follow your style Rockstar and this is really nice work. Love his eyes too!
  • CCPhil
    Offline / Send Message
    CCPhil polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool m8 great drawing

I agree with poop his mouth does look like he could cut right trough a tree wink.gif

I also think the horns on his left shoulderpad look a bit off perspective or its just me wink.gif
  • -DN-
    Offline / Send Message
    -DN- polycounter lvl 18
    The day before release hehe, good artwork to hold me over is always a good thing. I agree with the arms being to short tho, makes him feel just a tad dorf'ish? Metal looks really nice.
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    again a few light issues i wouldnt be comfortable with.
    im suggesting to touch the background one more it looks like
    u just made it quick. maybe get him a real shadow. i like
    the design overall. it got minor perspective issues u gonna
    solve that in the future im sure.

what i dont like is the orc face. i like hte beard but the
    whole thing doesnt really have understate or overstating
    coolness. i dunno how much you are willing to touch it
    again.

i agree on the forementioned
  • MILES
    Offline / Send Message
    MILES polycounter lvl 18
    That looks sweet bro!
    Hopefully I can get my CE tonight from the local store. I'll get with you about a server.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    I think he's looking great. My only crit is the boots look flat, like they are lacking highlights/shadows.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    sweet work. nothing to say that hasn't been said already.

love the tutorial. three simple steps!
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    well now arent you the jack of all trades :P
    gotta say it kicks ass-
    only crit, is the perspective on the lower part of the
    belt buckle looks a bit off.

Rock on rockstar smile.gif
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    konstruct: yep thats the plan to be the real rockstar and just be good at everything wink.gif

qube: thanks for the input man, some good valid comments there, I tried to focus just on the character for this one, thats why it doesn't really have a background. oh and stop doing those mushrooms!

MILES: yo man! hit me up on msn or something (info on my site) so we can get this going, I'm gonna get the CE tomorrow hopefully.

thanks for the good comments everyone. its all helpfull. i'm definitely going to keep all of your comments in mind for my next piece. Quantity over quality, right? right? lol smile.gif
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    haha thats cool! smile.gif

of it all, the eye(s) bug me the most. It looks like a little glass marble in the final, as opposed to being something that holds its character. I really dig the shoulderpads, butthe perspective seems a little off on the left pad. The top row of teeth seem to be *too* straight, and a little low in the head. Maybe a slight curve to the upper jaw, or varying the size of the individual teeth will liven that area up a bit.

I dont totally agree that the lighting and shading needs to be different, but the design and composition of the image itself is a bit weak. It may just be a character thing, but as a whole the entire page can(should?) look cool, rather than just one chunk.

my only other gripe is that the armor seems a little 'spacey,' or sci-fi, and not totally in the fantasy realm. its nitpicky but definately gives this orc its own style.

lok tar!
  • Red Crane
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Crane polycounter lvl 18
    Let's see... the whole thing yeah just change it. No, just joking man it looks tight except for the lips being to shiny and somewhat non-existent... maybe give him a scar across teh top lip to break the smoothness unless you like it i mean the comments everyones giving are tryin to direct you to the path of realism. I still think the armor should have some dents and scratches tho....anywho i'll jsut sit in my chair for now and wait for the next rockstar masterwork to appear.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Why does he have what appears to be blue facial hair, but brown braids?
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    cmon man, they're "clip-on" braids. wink.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    i always thought that orcs just dyed the roots of their facial hair and left the rest brown. Some ancient custom or something. wink.gif

Great work, thought about submitting it to blizzards fanart thing they do?

Its depressing that WoW Came out today and i'm not going to be playing for some time because im poor frown.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

Its depressing that WoW Came out today and i'm not going to be playing for some time because im poor frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok, rockstar is poor too.
  • thnom
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    "Wow" - rockstar I've seen your work really develop over the last 6 month, and this just make that developing even larger smile.gif

Awesome
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    this piece is finished up to a very nice level, definitely a nice showpiece. but while the finish is excellent, i think the original drawing (step 1 and some of step 2) had some issues that you should have addressed before proceeding. the left arm could be written off as simply being tucked back and not necessarily an anatomical/perspective problem, but what really sticks out is the jaw. right now it looks like a puppet jaw, hinging exactly where the top and bottom jaws meet. the teeth shouldn't look like they just hinge down onto each other like that--in fact i'm not sure if he could really close his mouth, poor guy smile.gif

but overall some very minor issues in a very richly detailed and nicely presented piece. just be sure to refine the line drawing a little more before launching into the full color next time. smile.gif