Home General Discussion

Sid Meier's Pirates!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
Gonna be in stores in 2 days!!! I am really looking forward to this game. It hasnt really gotten much press, what with all the other BIG NAME games like HL2 popping out, but Sid never lets me down, and I loved the original pirates. Im a little worried this game might be a bit kiddy, and the whole dueling to take over a ship seems a bit too basic for me, but all in all it looks like a ton of fun. Anyone else looking to pick this up?

Replies

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sure, but i'll stay calm, try a demo and wait for the first waves of bugs to be fixed before i make a purchase. the style of the graphics is a little too childish to fit the subject in my opinion but hopefully the game makes up for that.

i too loved pirates, the first incarnation, especially on the cbm amiga. if memory serves me correctly, you had to win a duel there too when battling enemy ships or cities.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    well yea, you did there too, and I know they want to stick with the original's type of gameplay, I just could have imagined some massive pirate battles where each crew member's fight actually meant something, instead of the whole fight depending on the captain. It seems that it will be closer to the way I want for Land battles. Some sort of turn based strategy type gameplay.

I love the idea that your character can grow old and that he can just retire if you want to. So anticlimatic but kinda funny at the same time.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i haven't read much on it yet so i can't really discuss, actually it was quite a surprise to see that a remake of pirates is in the works wink.gif

as for the fights, afair, the duels were pretty easy when your party was an overwhelming force so it didn't depend much on your actual dueling capabilities but was a mere simplification of the calculated battle between partieswith a little help by the player.
    i guess it would become pretty boring to have some RPG type fights between parties of characters - at least for me that type of fights always becomes repetitive and uninteresting very quickly.

what i would have liked to see in pirates back then was to not be restricted to the caribbean seas - let me sail through magellan's pass and rob the spanish in the pacific, or the portugese in asia, dammit! wink.gif maybe it's possible in that release - but i guess not.