Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

wip alien/anthropmorphic amphibian

usagi
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
usagi polycounter lvl 18
how does it look so far? i havent touched the red parts, and the blue parts are just temp, theyre gonna be beads in some zulu looking type pattern

heres the links cause the images dont seem to be working:

http://usagiyojimbo.tripod.com/molorender.txt

http://usagiyojimbo.tripod.com/molorender2.txt

http://usagiyojimbo.tripod.com/molorender3.txt

Replies

• Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    you suck at the internet! i believe its img and /img nowdays

looks really nice, and i like the clean style to it
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    i dont get it, that doesnt seem to work either. plus i used the polycount img tag button adn it still didnt work
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    probably cause it's a .txt ??
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    maybe... i renamed it to .txts to get around the remote link blocking stuff, it works at http://forums.beyondunreal.com/ though
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Looking cool Usagi...really like the character design and base colors. smile.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    same here. loving the style.
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Looks realy cool. One thing though, i dont realy like the feet, i feel if the feet were more like the hands it would look a tad better, but whatever style your going for. I cant wait to see the textured finished... if it isnt.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lol, evidently the new forums don't like images ending in .txt - i tried everything there and it always showed as text instead of images! Hnmnmmm...
    And since I'm using Firefox, it actually displays the .txt as text instead of an image - I'll have to open those in Internet Explorer! Crazy!
    Apologies for the inconsequential editing and lack of crits - I will edit and update when I actually see the images smile.gif
    Not your fault though.

MoP
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This better be worth the effort. Lousy Firefox *shakes fist*

Hey a gecko, thats looking really nice. Feet do look a bit odd at this stage. Perhaps make them larger and flatter.

Nice one, I'll keep an eye on your progress if you use some format that I don't have to find IE for.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Actually the best fix is to find a provider that allows Remote linking and isn't free. Looked at the links though, and the model looks good. It's stylisitically similar to Pior's work, which is a good thing. you may want to modifiy the trousers slightly so they don't look like they were turned on a spindle lathe, and have a bit more "drape" to them, but otherwise it's a unique design.

Scott

Scott
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yes, i was immediately reminded of pior's... glumpfs where they called?
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Can we see wires please?
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Holy Shade of Stan Saki, thats a really great rendition of one of Sensai Saki's charaters. (Heh although he does remind me of the Gieko geeko)
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome stuff, very clean, and I like the design. My only crit is that his pants look very tubular, and not like fabric, if you could get them to hang more like cloth, I think it would work alot better.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    ok heres some wires

http://usagiyojimbo.tripod.com/molowires.JPG

man, i wasnt expecting this many replies, thanks everyone. im not sure what to do about the feet.. i mostly used frogs as reference but maybe i should try looking at pictures of geckos too. as for the pants theyre still very much a wip. ill add more wrinkles around the bottoms, hopefully that'll take care of them

actually Herr-Maestro, i dont think ive thought of stan saki or usagi yojimbo once while i was making this. the fact that you thought that is definitely taken as a compliment though. there isnt a specific character that you mean, is there? also im glad that my screen name isnt being confused with sailor moon

mop, dont worry about it. the links arent showing up as just text right? im gonna ask my friend if he can lend me some webspace

thanks for the kind words, i have a lot of respect for many of you guys so its even more appreciated
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi Usagi!

Amphibians are usually cool as hell and yours certainly follows the golden rule smile.gif It's not an overdone kind of character and yours is really great looking so far smile.gif

It's nice to see some clean and stylized skinwork too, I think it's something not to be forgotten (models don't have to look 100 realistic all the time, and current shader/pixelshader techs shoudn't change this).

The front view has great character, the mouth/jawline/eyes transition works perfectly in my opinion. The head viewed from the side is less exiting soo... but maybe it's just a matter of pulling some verts around to get a more 'streamlined' look if you see what I mean.

Legs/feet look a bit strange too, at the moment I don't really know if you are going for the 'human' or 'chicken' type.

The following refpic tends to show that geckos feet are more or less looking like human hands (and not like human feet indeed), hence I guess that 'converting' the gecko look to an anthropomorphic one might be a bit hard for sure.

Hence I understand that you are giving the creature a 'chickenfeet' look but I think you might need to polish this part a bit more. In general chicken feet are not standard ones with one more joint added ; it's more or less the same base structure except that the creature walks on its toes.

It's hard a choice for sure (chicken or standard). The Midway artists went for a floppy look that is sure working but maybe lacking in strenght?

Gex

Anyways, I just wanted to share my thoughts with you about this issue. Hope it'll help, can't wait to see your great gecko model running ingame! wink.gif

pior
    www.pioroberson.com
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    ok ive changed the legs, i was never completely satisfied with them anyway. i think they look pretty good, im sure ill be tweakiing them for the next week anyway

i gotta go, ill edit this later

http://usagiyojimbo.tripod.com/_new_legs.txt

if youre using firefox:
    http://usagiyojimbo.tripod.com/_new_legs.jpg
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    hey dude, welcome smile.gif

that looks really cool from the front, but the profile doesnt read as much, and doesnt have as stong of shapes. Its definately a cool deisgn, just boring from the side.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    ive got a problem, i think

when at frame 0 the model looks fine, when at 100 its flattened til its almost 2d adn on a strange angle
    heres what i mean:
    http://usagiyojimbo.tripod.com/shit_shit.txt

firefox users:
    http://usagiyojimbo.tripod.com/shit_shit.jpg

man i hope theres something i can do about this, cause other wise i dont think i can animate this guy|

moose/pior, thsnks for the input, i think im gonna keep the legs this way, its more like what i originally had in mind i think. i doenst make too much sense for an amphibious creature to have bird like legs anyway

as for the side view, i tweaked it some, i think it looks beter now, slightly. i think the problem is the shape of the eyes, since theyre so big you cant see all of the eye at once from the side. ill see what i can do about that.

the side has always bugged me. im hoping that ingame it will look better.ill post some updated renders soon cause im working on getting a better host.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    WHOA ! What did you use to model it with? if possible throw it into the UT ED, and see if it looks ok in there on a 360 spectrum see if you get that 2d look in that as well if so there should be a way to correct that while you're in it. ... maybe
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    ok, some random frantic clicking seems to have fixed the problem. i have no idea whay it happened but i fixed it by draging the keframe at frame 0 to the end. simple enough i guess
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Id love to see a sdk for this.
    No crits.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Id love to see a sdk for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet
    ill post an sdk after im finished the skin. im scared you or someone else will put mine to shame before its done. ill post some updates soon too
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    cool. I really like the style, no crits from me.