Home General Discussion

N.Y. lawsuit questions safety of dodgeball...duh!

NoSeRider
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6535954/

I always thought there was something sadistic about dodgeball.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Let them play. It'll sharpen their reflexes for when they're older and the government recruits them to play DodgeBullets against International teams.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Bah! Dodgeball is great fun. I loved it as a child and I still love it today (I'm a senior in Highschool). The Violence of it is half the fun, the other half is flourishing your ability to dodge 3 balls at a time.

So some girl broke her arm while playing, my cousin broke her arm while sleeping, does that mean sleeping will be deemed unsafe?

Though I really don't know how your arm could be broken while playing dodge ball, the only ways I could come up with are:
    1 - They like to use medicine balls to play
    2 - Her bones are hideously weak because her parents don't enforce milk drinking
    3 - She tripped while playing and smashed her arm on the ground.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    It was number three, neo; she got 'tangled' with some other slow mover and fell on her elbow.

I liked dogeball because it taught me speed to get away from the sadistic bastards after they were no longer restricted to trying to injure me with bouncy gym balls.

Frank the Avenger
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    bah! Kids these days are turning into a bunch of wimps. Getting your ass kicked in high school is just part of life. Builds character, I say. Also made for one of the funniest damn movies I've seen in quite a while.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I've started design docs and concepts for a Dodge Ball mod for Half Life 2 making use of the physics engine. Working title is “DODGE THIS!”. It's going to have a circuit mode starting out in small recess matches and finishing in full coliseums.

- BoBo
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like a fun BoBo, nice easy and small mod, Good luck on it.

Hmmm, I probably should have read the artical all the way through then I would have read that she was tangled with another kid.
    Though If that's what happened, why are they attacking dodgeball? They should be attacking small children who can't get out of the way, haha.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    yay! I say we sue small tubby kids who dont excel at the national fitness tests! Bobo that sounds like a lot of fun, you could have a lot of fun making character models =)
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    THat would be cool. So, would this inlude the Gravity gun later on? :-)

Scott
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately this isn't really new. A lot of schools around here haven't allowed dodgeball just because they're afraid of getting sued. What I don't get is how they've single out this one game. All sports have some level of risk involved, and many are more dangerous than dodgeball.

Bobo, sounds like a fun mod. Could get really creative with the items being thrown around.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    My school won't allow dodgeball, so we try and get a little bit in when the teacher's turned around and we have a ball available.

when i get half life 2, and that mod comes out, i'll be sure to check it out bobo, sounds like good fun.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i think dodge ball is great fun, but maybe a bit too extreme for 7 year olds, they are pretty fragile, and dumb. also playing on a wood court is a bad idea unless they are made to wear elbo and knee pads.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    In that case, Mojo, isn't basketball or volleyball also too dangerous for 7 year olds? I mean, the ball had nothing to do with this injury, but the fact that kids were running around on a hard floor. God have mercy on second graders playing tag on the blacktop at recess! Maybe they should be packed in wool until they're 18, just to be safe...
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    no more bicycles, to dangerous! You're going fast, you only have two wheels (very unstable) you're on streets with cars (much bigger then kids btw) and no safety gear is required! If my kid ever hurts himself on a bike those assholes are getting sued!!

One of my favorite places to cliff jump got shut down because drunken idiots were killing themselves or getting hurt and the owner was getting sued. Your choice to jump, your responsibility. You spill coffee on yourself, you're responsibility. You're a klutz and cant miss the fat kid, to bad for you do better next time.

I think this is more a problem of our legal system being a total joke then anything else. That and the inability for people to take responsibility for their actions, which is a direct effect of the legal system I guess. nobody has to anymore.